[news.admin] alt.swedish.chef.bork.bork.bork

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (11/21/89)

That does it.  Enough is enough.  I'm dropping alt.* entirely.

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

hoyt@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Sir Hoyt) (11/21/89)

In article <1162@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>That does it.  Enough is enough.  I'm dropping alt.* entirely.

	Why don't you do:

	ME:!alt,alt.sys.sun,alt.<whever you want>,.....::

	This way you get what you want, but trash what you don't.

	Just an idea....

--
John H. Pochmara				 A career is great,
UUCP: {sdsu,voder,trwind}!polyslo!hoyt		 But you can't run your

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (11/21/89)

In <1162@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral):
Paul> That does it.  Enough is enough.  I'm dropping alt.* entirely.

The newgroup was apparently intended to be local to jarthur; dropping
alt.* entirely because the use of the Distribution: mechanism is
faulty seems a little rash.  (We only restrict one distribution
outgoing from here in general -- local.)

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (11/21/89)

From article <1989Nov21.105006.10730@rpi.edu>, by tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence):
> In <1162@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral):
> Paul> That does it.  Enough is enough.  I'm dropping alt.* entirely.
>
> The newgroup was apparently intended to be local to jarthur; dropping
> alt.* entirely because the use of the Distribution: mechanism is
> faulty seems a little rash.  (We only restrict one distribution
> outgoing from here in general -- local.)

alt...bork in itself was not enough to cause my rash reaction.  I have
been skeptical of alt.* for a long time.  I've never accepted alt.sex
(the cesspool of the net), for instance (no doubt someone will call me
a prude or some such; that doesn't bother me).  Add to my skepticism
the random or senseless newgrouping of such groups alt.stupidity,
alt.peeve, alt.tasteless, and the newgrouping (and subsequent rmgrouping)
of alt.sex.mast[eu]rbation to win a bet, etc., over the last several
weeks or months ... and my tolerance has been lowered considerably.
alt...bork simply pushed me over the edge.  alt.* is a mess that I'm
unwilling to put up with anymore.

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (11/22/89)

Most of alt.* is just fine.  There are many enjoyable groups.  The idea
behind alt.* is that you pick what you want and ignore the rest.
(Obsessing on alt.sex says more about the observer than the material.)

On leaf sites, use a sensible 'sys' file.

On well-connected sites, use a sensible 'newsrc' file.

When changing either of the above files, spare us the bulletins. :-)

--
"A man came into the the office one day and said he  \|/  Tom Neff
was a sailor.  We cured him of that." - Mark Twain,  -O-  tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (11/23/89)

In article <1162@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
|That does it.  Enough is enough.  I'm dropping alt.* entirely.

	Oh, good. We were beginning to fear that
	you weren't going to take the hint.

	It's simpler for everyone this way.

Satisfied,
--