[news.admin] 3B2 nodemane showing up as unix?

jessea@dynasys.UUCP ( Sysadmin.) (11/18/89)

I am working on putting a 3B2 on the net and I'm having a problem.  I've used
the sysadmsh (I think that's what it is called - it's the menu system for the
sysadmin anyway) and I've change the system name to "sysname", for example.
When I log on as a user, "sysname" is displayed.  But when I send mail from
that system to my own system, the return address is "unix!jessea".  This means
that I can't reply correctly because my system doesn't know site "unix".  What
do I need to do to correct this and what is causing it?  Thanx in advance.

--
Jesse W. Asher - Dynasys - (901)382-1705       Internet: jessea@dynasys.UU.NET
6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134     UUCP: uunet!dynasys!jessea

gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) (11/20/89)

In article <27@dynasys.UUCP>, jessea@dynasys.UUCP ( Sysadmin.) writes:
> I am working on putting a 3B2 on the net and I'm having a problem.  I've used
> the sysadmsh (I think that's what it is called - it's the menu system for the
> sysadmin anyway) and I've change the system name to "sysname", for example.
> When I log on as a user, "sysname" is displayed.  But when I send mail from
> that system to my own system, the return address is "unix!jessea".  This means
> that I can't reply correctly because my system doesn't know site "unix".  What
> do I need to do to correct this and what is causing it?  Thanx in advance.

The sysadm menu *should* have worked fine.  Try this:

   uname -S {insert system name here}

Which is the same thing that sysadm does.  You didn't mention what versio of
unix you're running.  I know, from personal experience, that versions prior
to 3.0 were rather buggy in the sysadm utilities.

--
| R. Arthur Gentry     AT&T Communications     Kansas City, MO     64106 |
| Email: attctc!kcdev!gentry        ATTMail: attmail!kc4rtm!gentry       |

root@nebulus (Dennis S. Breckenridge) (11/21/89)

gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) writes:

>The sysadm menu *should* have worked fine.  Try this:
>   uname -S {insert system name here}

  Great stuff if the 3B2 Battery is good. If the battery dies NVRAM
falls back to a know state (Passwd of mcp, Hostname of unix, debug mode off,
etc...). To eliminate your nodename from reverting to unix build it
in the kernel. That is edit /etc/master.d/kernel and change the 2
occurances of unix (just above the version numbers) to your node name.
then cd /boot; mkboot -k KERNEL;touch /etc/system;init 6. Presto chango
hocus pocus.
 On the subject of batteries any 3.6 volt lithium battery will do. I
found a source here in Toronto for 2 bucks a battery, thats about
25 cents American :-)

NAME:     Dennis S. Breckenridge   UUCP: uunet!tmsoft!nebulus!dennis
QTH:      Toronto, Canada          ELECTROMAGNETIC:   145.03Mhz ve3gss@ve3gss
AMPR.ORG: [44.135.88.54]           THE RIGHT CHIOCE?: (416) 733-1696

root@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Admin) (11/25/89)

In article <937@kcdev.UUCP>, gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) writes:
> In article <27@dynasys.UUCP>, jessea@dynasys.UUCP ( Sysadmin.) writes:
> > I am working on putting a 3B2 on the net and I'm having a problem.  I've used
> > the sysadmsh (I think that's what it is called - it's the menu system for the
> > sysadmin anyway) and I've change the system name to "sysname", for example.
> > When I log on as a user, "sysname" is displayed.  But when I send mail from
> > that system to my own system, the return address is "unix!jessea".  This means
> > that I can't reply correctly because my system doesn't know site "unix".  What
>
> The sysadm menu *should* have worked fine.  Try this:
>
>    uname -S {insert system name here}

    One other possibility exists if the uname -S does not work. It is

possible that in some prior admins "attention" to detail, that unix was

hard-coded into the file /etc/master.d/kernel. The utsname default is unix

but enclosed in double-quotes(shown below) and if the double quotes are

removed, the name unix is then hard-coded.

                                                      Charlie

(from /etc/master.d/kernel)
*#ident	@(#)kernel	1.1.2.8
*
* KERNEL
[deleted portion]
SYS ="unix"
NODE ="unix"
REL  = "3.2.1"
VER  = "3"

*
* The following entries form the tunable parameter table.
*