[news.admin] 1989 Rec.Humor.Funny Jokebook announcement

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (11/18/89)

A compressed tar file of all articles from February, 1989, to
November 18, 1989, is available for anonymous FTP from bbn.com:
	~/pub/rhf.1989.tar.Z
It is 685K.

The archive will probably be available on uunet shortly in the same
place; UUCP customers of UUNET will have to ask their sysadmin or
their Uunet contact how to directly UUCP the file ~/pub/rhf.1989.tar.Z
if they don't already know -- the mail-based server will not work.

I had hoped to have some scripts ready that would make it easy to typset
and index the jokes, but I haven't had the time.  If I get around to
it I will post the note in these groups, too.

Please note that as long as their have been moderated groups on Usenet
there have been accessible archives of them.  This is no different.

This archive availability is not an official statement of BBN, it is just
a service that may go away at any time following the commonly- understood
international conventions for anonymous FTP:  no warrantee, guarantee,
etc.  I am not an employee of UUNET Communications Serives, Inc., nor am I
authorized to speak for them.
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

In article <2163@papaya.bbn.com> looking!watmath!att!rutgers!usc!apple!bbn!bbn.com!rsalz rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>A compressed tar file of all [rec.humor.funny] articles [available for FTP]
>
>I had hoped to have some scripts ready that would make it easy to typset
>and index the jokes, but I haven't had the time.  If I get around to
>it I will post the note in these groups, too.

Gee, if you have programs that can duplicate the scores of hours I spent
proofing, editing, correcting and formatting the rather coarse material
that's submitted into a book, all I wanna know is, how much money do you
want for them?  You got an eager customer lined up right here.o

Sigh.  And here I was foolishly thinking that things would go calmly this
year.

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (11/22/89)

In <2163@papaya.bbn.com> I announced a copy of all r.h.f articles on
BBN and UUNET.  I said I might have some scripts to do some indexing
and typesettig.

In <50611@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>Gee, if you have programs that can duplicate the scores of hours I spent
>proofing, editing, correcting and formatting the rather coarse material
>that's submitted into a book, all I wanna know is, how much money do you
>want for them?  You got an eager customer lined up right here.
You get what you pay for.  Someone wants to run off a bunch of Usenet news
articles and call that a "book" well, more power to them.  I much prefer
the mod.recipes/alt.gourmand approach to hardcopy than the r.h.f approach,
but hey -- everyone's different.  I bought a book last year, I might buy
one this year.  I like the drawings your brother Ty does, and the work you
put into it makes it better than anything a few simple scripts could do.

Why am I doing making the archive available?  Simple:  archives of moderated
newsgroups should be freely and widely available; that's one of the major
benefits of such groups.

>Sigh.  And here I was foolishly thinking that things would go calmly this
>year.
You are the first person to post anything at all about this.
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (11/23/89)

news.admin's own rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) said:
      [ about Brad's comments on the tar of RHF being made available ]

->Sigh.  And here I was foolishly thinking that things would go calmly this
->year.
-You are the first person to post anything at all about this.

And hopefully the last...(maybe?  please?)

But should you start discussing it, *please* keep it in rec.humor.d.  Thanks.

--
     David Bedno, Systems Administrator, The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
   Email: davidbe@sco.COM / ..!{uunet,sun,ucbvax!ucscc,gorn}!sco!davidbe

" -- they're normal.  terrifyingly, appallingly normal -- like they've gone
 through normal and come out the other side." - neil gaiman in _Sandman_ #11

unhd (Raphael Malyankar) (11/28/89)

In article <2175@prune.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:

[re: r.h.f archive on uunet]

>Why am I doing making the archive available?  Simple:  archives of moderated
>newsgroups should be freely and widely available; that's one of the major
>benefits of such groups.

Did you or someone make similar announcements of uunet's archiving of the other
moderated groups too, at some point of time?

[No, I'm not starting a flamefest, just curious]

--
Raphael Malyankar      rmm@unhd.unh.edu, uunet!unhd!rmm

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (11/28/89)

In <1989Nov27.234454.4560@uunet!unhd> rmm@unhd.UUCP (Raphael Malyankar) writes:
>Did you or someone make similar announcements of uunet's archiving of the other
>moderated groups too, at some point of time?
Most groups publish a periodic list of archive sites -- see the "INFO"
postings in comp.sources.*, for example.

See also comp.archives.

This also happens a lot:  someone says "I've got this, FTP it if you want it."
Within a day or two a few other people will say "I've also got it, so you
can pick it up from me as well" this helps lighten the load.

>[No, I'm not starting a flamefest, just curious]
Hope this helps.
	/r$