[news.admin] EASY MONEY -- the con is back in rec.arts.tv

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) (11/23/89)

KUDLACEK@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>Fellow Debtor:                              November 13, 1989

>    The following document is going to sound EXACTLY like a
>mail order con.  The fact is that none of us want to get ripped
>by some jerk with nothing else to do but dream these things up.
>BUT - if you will take the 5 minutes it took me to read this,
>you will see that it really can work - it's all based on the
>multiplication factor.  Take this week off from Lotto America
>and put it here.  Your HONESTY and $5.00 WILL get you those
>computer upgrades you've been wanting for Christmas.......

>                        BIZMAN DAVE THE MODEM SLAVE
>                        Takoma Park, MD 20912
>                        Can be reached on the best BBS:
>                        DC Follies BBS (202) 232-3379
>                        (Not the Dave mentioned below...)

>Dear Friend,

>     My name is Dave Rhodes.  In September 1988 my car was
>reposessed and the bill collectors were hounding me like you
>wouldn't believe.  I was laid off and my unemployment checks
[... the rest deleted since we've already seen it in misc.something ]

KUDLACEK@kuhub was nice enough to NOT crosspost it to several
different groups.  Instead, it was posted INDIVIDUALLY to rec.arts.tv,
comp.mail.misc, and many other groups.

What to do...what to do...
--
Doug Eastick				UUCP: uunet!utai!me!eastick
Mechanical Engineering			eastick@me.utoronto.ca
Doug Eastick				UUCP: uunet!utai!me!eastick
Mechanical Engineering			eastick@me.utoronto.ca

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (11/24/89)

In article <89Nov23.010938est.20109@me.utoronto.ca> eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) writes:
: What to do...what to do...

When I spot them on my system, I cancel them.

All ethical questions aside, it is stupid to permit the net to be
used for criminal activity.

(And now to kill the one in rec.arts.tv.... Sigh.)

---
bill@twwells.com

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (11/29/89)

Thanks for pointing out the illegal use of usenet by one of our users.  He
apparently saw an article in alt.fax (<15389@vlsisj.VLSI.COM>), and stupidly
thought it was a good idea. He has been severly reprimanded, and has sent an
apology to all of the groups involved.  The matter has also been referred to
the University Attorney's office for handling of any possible legal questions.
All of the offending articles have been canceled.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444