[news.admin] Evidence from computers

mcb@ncis.tis.llnl.gov (Michael C. Berch) (11/25/89)

In <3990@sbcs.sunysb.edu> brnstnd@stealth.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
> Chain letters through the mail are most certainly illegal, but I've
> never heard of a decision on electronic chain letters. I don't think any
> court in the country accepts evidence from a computer; computer mail is
> taken as speech, so that the evidence in court is about as reliable as
> hearsay.

Huh?  I don't think there is any court in the country that *doesn't*
accept evidence from computers.  Considering that the vast majority of
accounting data in the U.S. is kept on computers, inability to accept
computer data as evidence would, shall we say, throw quite a cramp
into business litigation.  Computer data -- reduced to printouts,
graphics, or other tangible form -- is as admissible as any other kind
of documentary evidence, so long as it is properly identified and
authenticated via an offer of proof, *just like any other documentary
exhibit*.   Most computer data would be considered a business record
and admissible under the business records exception to the hearsay
rule.  It is also properly the subject of a subpena duces tecum.

I also do not know of any support for the assertion that "computer
mail is taken as speech."  If reduced to a printout, computer mail is
as admissible as any other sort of writing, and requires the same
authentication as any other writing (which admittedly may be more
complex for e-mail than for, say, a typed business letter, but
certainly not a big problem).  I do not know of any cases
involving UUCP or Internet mail, but other e-mail (e.g., PROFS, PC
mail programs, Telex) has been used as proof in litigation.

Computer data, including e-mail, raises some special issues regarding
authentication (by which I mean authentication of the reduction to
printing, not of the author of the writing or its contents), possibly
requiring offer-of-proof testimony by, say, a system programmer or
administrator regarding normal data storage and retrieval procedures,
but these issues are pretty much settled by rule of court in most
jurisdictions.

Followups to misc.legal.

--
Michael C. Berch
Member of the California Bar

brnstnd@stealth.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) (11/27/89)

In article <628@ncis.tis.llnl.gov> mcb@ncis.tis.llnl.gov (Michael C. Berch) writes:
> Huh?  I don't think there is any court in the country that *doesn't*
> accept evidence from computers.

I've seen several cases where printouts were not accepted in court. For
example, if a money machine messes up, you have absolutely no recourse.
The receipts are worthless. (This may not be true in states other than
New York. And I'm not a lawyer.)

> Considering that the vast majority of
> accounting data in the U.S. is kept on computers, inability to accept
> computer data as evidence would, shall we say, throw quite a cramp
> into business litigation.

Of course. A business happens to store information on a computer; it
prints it out, looks at the result, says happily ``yes, these are our
accounting records,'' and submits the evidence. Here the evidence is
the printout; the information in the evidence has nothing to do with
the computer.

In other words: The business is saying ``these sheets of paper contain
our records.'' What does that have to do with computers?

In contrast, New York courts consider money machine transactions to
have a lot to do with computers. Say I submit a receipt as evidence;
what do I say about it? ``This receipt details my interaction with
the money machine.'' The computer here is not just a medium; it's the
actual entity, the machine, that the evidence has to do with.

> Computer data -- reduced to printouts,
> graphics, or other tangible form -- is as admissible as any other kind
> of documentary evidence, so long as it is properly identified and
> authenticated via an offer of proof, *just like any other documentary
> exhibit*.

That's the tricky part. The courts (quite sensibly) consider it very
difficult to authenticate evidence *that has to do with computers*.

> I also do not know of any support for the assertion that "computer
> mail is taken as speech."

Case law.

> I do not know of any cases
> involving UUCP or Internet mail, but other e-mail (e.g., PROFS, PC
> mail programs, Telex) has been used as proof in litigation.

Sure, just as a taped conversation can. The problem is connecting what
was supposedly said with who said it; and computer mail poses very
similar difficulties to speech in this respect. It simply isn't taken
as writing.

> Michael C. Berch
> Member of the California Bar

California's a strange place.

---Dan

schaut@cat9.CS.WISC.EDU (Richard Schaut) (11/29/89)

In article <4052@sbcs.sunysb.edu> brnstnd@stealth.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
| In article <628@ncis.tis.llnl.gov> mcb@ncis.tis.llnl.gov (Michael C. Berch) writes:
| > Huh?  I don't think there is any court in the country that *doesn't*
| > accept evidence from computers.
|
| I've seen several cases where printouts were not accepted in court. For
| example, if a money machine messes up, you have absolutely no recourse.
| The receipts are worthless. (This may not be true in states other than
| New York. And I'm not a lawyer.)
|
| > Considering that the vast majority of
| > accounting data in the U.S. is kept on computers, inability to accept
| > computer data as evidence would, shall we say, throw quite a cramp
| > into business litigation.
|
| Of course. A business happens to store information on a computer; it
| prints it out, looks at the result, says happily ``yes, these are our
| accounting records,'' and submits the evidence. Here the evidence is
| the printout; the information in the evidence has nothing to do with
| the computer.

I think you're both right.  Accounting data is different than most data
that is found on computers in that there is an established audit trail
for the accounting data.  A court will accept that data from the computer
because the trail from the numbers in the printouts to the original
transaction documents can be traced.  Very few computer printouts,
including automatic teller receipts, have that kind of control behind
them.

Rick

"Any questions?  Any answers?  Anyone care for a mint?" -- Rita Rudner

jimb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Jim Burke) (12/01/89)

In article <4052@sbcs.sunysb.edu> brnstnd@stealth.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>I've seen several cases where printouts were not accepted in court. For
>example, if a money machine messes up, you have absolutely no recourse.
>The receipts are worthless. (This may not be true in states other than
>New York. And I'm not a lawyer.)

This is because the transaction was handled by a machine without a human
being there to verify that you actually put the money in the envelope.
You could punch in a zillion dollars and the machine will blindly print
you a receipt without any verification.  The only thing the receipt proves
is that, yes indeed, you did punch in that number after punching the
deposit button.  You are not there later on when a teller clears and
verifies the transactions.  This is certainly riskier than if you are
standing in front of the teller verifying their handling of your transaction.
This is one reason I never deposit cash at a teller machine.  It seems too
risky although most banks do have two employees open and clear the machine
to avoid theft by dishonest tellers.

--
******                Views expressed here in are my own               *******
Jim Burke - consultant  408) 734-9822   | I'll stop posting when they pry my

mcb@presto.ig.com (Michael C. Berch) (12/02/89)

In <4052@sbcs.sunysb.edu> brnstnd@stealth.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
> In <628@ncis.tis.llnl.gov> mcb@ncis.tis.llnl.gov (Michael C. Berch) writes:
> > Huh?  I don't think there is any court in the country that *doesn't*
> > accept evidence from computers.
>
> I've seen several cases where printouts were not accepted in court. For
> example, if a money machine messes up, you have absolutely no recourse.
> The receipts are worthless. (This may not be true in states other than
> New York. And I'm not a lawyer.)

I think we are having a semantic disagreement here.  By "not accepted
in court" I assume (from the next sentence) that Mr. Berstein means,
"was not sufficient to prove the truth of the assertions contained on
the printout" as opposed to "was not considered admissible (that is,
material, relevant, and competent) evidence".  There is a large
difference between these two assertions.

Computer printouts and other tangible media are competent evidence,
but they are often weak evidence as to the substance of the matters
contained in them.  This is true for many other types of evidence,
such as unsigned writings and the like.  The ATM receipt mentioned
above is a good example of this "weak" evidence; as others have
pointed out, an ATM receipt for a deposit is not particularly good
evidence of the fact of a deposit, simply because the method used to
print them does not include verification.  A bank's evidence that the
deposit envelope was empty when opened by the (usually) two required
employees is much stronger evidence than a printed receipt.

> > Considering that the vast majority of
> > accounting data in the U.S. is kept on computers, inability to accept
> > computer data as evidence would, shall we say, throw quite a cramp
> > into business litigation.
>
> Of course. A business happens to store information on a computer; it
> prints it out, looks at the result, says happily ``yes, these are our
> accounting records,'' and submits the evidence. Here the evidence is
> the printout; the information in the evidence has nothing to do with
> the computer.
>
> In other words: The business is saying ``these sheets of paper contain
> our records.'' What does that have to do with computers?

Uhhh, no more and no less than any other printout (or any other
business records)...  If you have a custodian of records testify, in an
offer of proof, you can authenticate the records as having come from a
particular system on a particular date.  (I have done this in court;
it's extremely common.)  The printouts then have a much greater
evidentiary value than "random documents".  But this is not limited to
accounting records.

> In contrast, New York courts consider money machine transactions to
> have a lot to do with computers. Say I submit a receipt as evidence;
> what do I say about it? ``This receipt details my interaction with
> the money machine.'' The computer here is not just a medium; it's the
> actual entity, the machine, that the evidence has to do with.

Not because the evidence "has a lot to do with computers", but simply
because the receipt has little evidentiary value.

> > Computer data -- reduced to printouts,
> > graphics, or other tangible form -- is as admissible as any other kind
> > of documentary evidence, so long as it is properly identified and
> > authenticated via an offer of proof, *just like any other documentary
> > exhibit*.
>
> That's the tricky part. The courts (quite sensibly) consider it very
> difficult to authenticate evidence *that has to do with computers*.

I do not believe this to be true in practice.  There are certainly
continuing legal education seminars on the subject -- I get
announcements in the mail -- but this is true of many types of
litigation techniques and methods of presenting evidence. (There are
seminars on "How to Use X-Rays and Imaging in Jury Trials" and so
forth.) Courts are not nearly as bewildered by computer-derived
evidence as many people think.

--
Michael C. Berch  (new address!)
mcb@presto.ig.com / ames!bionet!mcb