[news.admin] Lotteries was: warning: scumbags using usenet for pyramid schemes

jmm@eci386.uucp (John Macdonald) (12/01/89)

In article <75@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
| [...]
|Lotteries in Canada are really an alternate form of taxation. A fairly
|regressive one in that the funds are generally solicted from the types of
|people who can usually least afford it. And are hyped by slick mega buck
|advertising campaigns.

I tend to refer to lotteries either as "voluntary taxation" or
"stupidity tax" depending on my mood (and whether I've contributed
any money to one in the preceding year or not... :-).
--
80386 - hardware demonstrating the fractal nature of warts.   | John Macdonald
EMS/LIM - software demonstrating the fractal nature of warts. |   jmm@eci386

razzell@cs.ubc.ca (Dan Razzell) (12/02/89)

In article <1989Nov30.182532.2819@eci386.uucp>, jmm@eci386.uucp (John Macdonald) writes:
> I tend to refer to lotteries either as "voluntary taxation" or
> "stupidity tax" depending on my mood (and whether I've contributed
> any money to one in the preceding year or not... :-).

I think of it as a tax on hope. Not a very nice thought.
--
      .^.^.      Dan Razzell <razzell@vision.cs.ubc.ca>
     . o o .     Laboratory for Computational Vision

afscian@violet.waterloo.edu (Anthony Scian) (12/03/89)

In article <5845@ubc-cs.UUCP> razzell@cs.ubc.ca (Dan Razzell) writes:
>In article <1989Nov30.182532.2819@eci386.uucp>, jmm@eci386.uucp (John Macdonald) writes:
>> I tend to refer to lotteries either as "voluntary taxation" or
>> "stupidity tax" depending on my mood (and whether I've contributed
>> any money to one in the preceding year or not... :-).
>
>I think of it as a tax on hope. Not a very nice thought.
The new commercials "Freedom for a buck" remind me of the lotteries
in "1984". There is mention of conversion to the metric system in
the book and its effect on beer drinkers (1/2 litre too small,
1 litre too large, bring back the pint). Maybe George miscounted?

Anthony
//// Anthony Scian afscian@violet.uwaterloo.ca afscian@violet.waterloo.edu ////
"I can't believe the news today, I can't close my eyes and make it go away" -U2

igb@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Ian G Batten) (12/04/89)

In article <18940@watdragon.waterloo.edu> afscian@violet.waterloo.edu (Anthony Scian) writes:
>in "1984". There is mention of conversion to the metric system in
>the book and its effect on beer drinkers (1/2 litre too small,
>1 litre too large, bring back the pint). Maybe George miscounted?

culture specific!  a uk pint is 0.57l.  a us pint is 0.45l.
so americans would get more beer in a 50cl glass.  but like
the barbarians they are they'd probably serve it (1) cold and
(2) having been brewed at the wrong end :-) :-) :-)

ian

--
Ian G Batten, BT Fulcrum - igb@fulcrum.bt.co.uk - ...!uunet!ukc!fulcrum!igb

gamiddon@maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) (12/08/89)

In article <1989Dec4.124804.9659@masalla.fulcrum.bt.co.uk> igb@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Ian G Batten) writes:
> In article <18940@watdragon.waterloo.edu> afscian@violet.waterloo.edu (Anthony Scian) writes:
> >in "1984". There is mention of conversion to the metric system in
> >the book and its effect on beer drinkers (1/2 litre too small,
> >1 litre too large, bring back the pint). Maybe George miscounted?
>
> culture specific!  a uk pint is 0.57l.  a us pint is 0.45l.

Anthony should know better, too.  He is in Canada, where we use Imperial
pints.

rbutterworth@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ray Butterworth) (12/09/89)

In article <993@maytag.waterloo.edu> gamiddon@maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:
>Anthony should know better, too.  He is in Canada, where we use Imperial
>pints.

Try buying an aquarium or a water pump or ....
They are all sold by the "gallon", and it sure isn't the Imperial gallon.

Some beer stores list their prices for quarts and pints.
Not only aren't these Imperial quarts or pints (40 or 20 ounzes),
they aren't even US quarts or pints (32 or 16 fluid ounzes).
In fact they are only (~25? and 12 ounzes).

And of course with Free Trade, we will get the US sizes of many
other things dumped on us too.
(e.g. beer is 355mL (12 fl.oz.) instead of 341mL (12 oz.)).

Isn't Mulroney's "metric presence" a wonderful thing?
Just think of what a mess we'd be in if he hadn't put a stop
to establishing a standard set of weights and measures for Canada.

yackob@ccu.umanitoba.ca (12/09/89)

In article <993@maytag.waterloo.edu> gamiddon@maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:
>In article <1989Dec4.124804.9659@masalla.fulcrum.bt.co.uk> igb@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Ian G Batten) writes:
>> In article <18940@watdragon.waterloo.edu> afscian@violet.waterloo.edu (Anthony Scian) writes:
>> >in "1984". There is mention of conversion to the metric system in
>> >the book and its effect on beer drinkers (1/2 litre too small,
>> >1 litre too large, bring back the pint). Maybe George miscounted?
>>
>> culture specific!  a uk pint is 0.57l.  a us pint is 0.45l.
>
>Anthony should know better, too.  He is in Canada, where we use Imperial
>pints.

	Guy should know better, too.  He is in Canada, where we use
systeme international (metric) units.  The metric-ification of the
nation started around 1971, so Guy is really dating himself.......
	:-)
--
Kerry Yackoboski		|yackob@ccu.UManitoba.CA
"Run, run, fast as you can, you can't catch me, I'm a fractal man!"