[news.admin] Usenet slang dictionary?

boyd@ingr.com (Boyd Nation) (12/09/89)

In joining any conversation, it helps to have some familiarity with the
slang that is going to be used.  This is especially true on Usenet,
where there are no clues from body language or tone of voice to help in
clarification.  Therefore, I have an idea I want to present.  I would
like to see a dictionary of Usenet slang written and added to the
n.a.newusers postings.  I don't have anything huge in mind, certainly
fewer than 100 entries.  I just think it would be a good idea if new
users had someplace to learn what "Maroney awards" are/were, or what the
Ron Heiby Memorial No Vote is.  It might also be nice to include slang
that is specific to certain groups on the net, but which are specific to
the net, such as "retconning" in r.a.comics.

Unfortunately, I haven't been on the net for long enough to attempt this
project, so I'll have to hope someone else thinks this is a good idea
and follows up on it.  Any takers?  And more importantly, what do y'all
think about the idea?

--
Boyd Nation      ...!uunet!ingr!boyd      boyd@ingr.com      Stress kills.

benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (12/10/89)

In article <7927@ingr.com> boyd@ingr.com (Boyd Nation) writes:
>In joining any conversation, it helps to have some familiarity with the
>slang that is going to be used.  This is especially true on Usenet,
>where there are no clues from body language or tone of voice to help in
>clarification.  Therefore, I have an idea I want to present.  I would
>like to see a dictionary of Usenet slang written and added to the
>Unfortunately, I haven't been on the net for long enough to attempt this
>project, so I'll have to hope someone else thinks this is a good idea
>and follows up on it.  Any takers?  And more importantly, what do y'all
>think about the idea?
IMHO, it's not very important.  No net.people even USE slang.  My SO,
sitting next to me, doesn't like it either.
P.S. So what if you haven't been here long enough?  If you have a question,
RTFM!
P.P.S. Kidding.  I love the idea.
--
|Opus and Frodo live! | "Sometimes, when your cat just died and you've cut
off your favorite appendage(s) with a power saw and there's epoxy in the
Visine and you brush your teeth with Clearasil it helps to say 'What the
f*ck'" |  This signature consists of non-blanks separated by blanks.

In article <7927@ingr.com> boyd@ingr.com (Boyd Nation) writes:
>I would
>like to see a dictionary of Usenet slang written and added to the
>n.a.newusers postings.

IMHO, if some newby wants a n.a.n newsfroup dictionary of net.slang put in
the crontab of a net.god's backbone site, the silly JEDR should email
him instead of posting the start of a flamefest I have to put in my kill
file or unsubscribe to.  BTW, that posting was a megabyte gilly.  What
a maroney!  Almost half a waldron of pompousity.  Imminent death of the
det predicted.  Perhaps he should has his SO or MOTOS what net.slang
means.  Of if his MOTAS is a MOTSS, he should ask him?  Or just post his
question to /dev/null.

BTW, IMHO if you understood this whole posting, you've been on the
net far too long.  BCNU  :-)

TTFN.

lori@hacgate.UUCP (Lori Barfield) (12/12/89)

In article <59406@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
[... article looking like it was created via random word generator ...]

Alas, the sign of a misspent youth....

...lori

P.S.  You'd have been better off posting anonymously because your article
      completely spurned netiquette; now we're going to appeal to your
      site admin to have your net.access revoked.  Our only other option
      is to moderate this group to obviate the need for asbestos
      garments.

maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) (12/12/89)

Date May 15, 1981
To: Distribution
From: W. S. Nechodom
Subject: Plea for Help (PFH)

Writing in acronyms (WIA) seems to confuse rather than enlighten me
(CRTEM).  I keep having to page back (PB) in order to remember what the
acronym (A) stands for (SF).

Please avoid WIA so that you don't CTREM unless you are deliberately
trying to CRTEM so that I won't find out what the ASF even if I PB.

					T (Thanks)

					W (Warren)
--
"Engineering induction:  if it works for n = 1, 2, and 3, that's good enough
for me".  (Ric Hehner)              | maart@cs.vu.nl, uunet!mcsun!botter!maart