[news.admin] STV new group proposal in 25 lines

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (11/19/89)

Following the discussion period, the proposal shall be put to the vote, and
shall include the names suggested during discussion, plus 'no group'.   The
news.announce.newgroups moderator may add any that have been mailed to him.

Voters will mail their votes by putting the names in preferred order;
1 first.preference
2 second.preference  ... (including 'no' if that is one of their preferences)
and should (not must) state their first preference in the subject line.

Voters' first preferences are counted.  If no choice gets over 50% of the
votes, the choice having the least votes is eliminated, and those votes are
transferred to the voters' next preference.  Repeat until either
=> the total of all other choices less 'no's is under 100 ===> vote fails
=> one name obtains over 50% of the vote (the quota)      ===> that name passes

After the count, the results shall be posted to news.groups, showing the
count at each stage, and listing voters by their first preferences.  The
list may also show their other preferences in any convenient tabular form.

After 5 days the group will be created, unless irregularities have been found.

For group proposals where discussion leads to agreement on a single name,
the above procedure will work exactly as the present system - name vs. 'no'.

Regards,    David Wright       STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK
dww@stl.stc.co.uk <or> ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!stl!dww <or> PSI%234237100122::DWW
"The principle of proportional representation is very simple; election
 requires a quota of votes, not a majority, and votes that would otherwise be
 wasted on a candidate who does not need them are utilised by transfer, on
 those voters' instructions, to other candidates"  (Enid Lakeman, ERS, 1971)

stodol@freja.diku.dk (David Stodolsky) (12/05/89)

In <2438@stl.stc.co.uk> "David Wright" <dww@stl.stc.co.uk> writes:

>Following the discussion period, the proposal shall be put to the vote, and
>shall include the names suggested during discussion, plus 'no group'.   The
>news.announce.newgroups moderator may add any that have been mailed to >him.

This places a mail load on the moderator and hides part of the process.
How about (optional wording indicated in parenthesis):

Following the discussion period, all names that have been posted (and that
have received a second) will be included in the Interest Group Survey
announcement appearing in news.announce.newgroups. A person may suggest (or
second) only one name. If any names are omitted, a corrected survey
announcement may be sent to the moderator and will be posted if it is a valid
correction (and the moderator will delete the faulty announcement.)

> the total of all other choices less 'no's is under 100 ===> vote fails

This counts "no"s twice. It also discards "no"s if they appear at different
stages in the count and are in the minority at that stage.
The current rationale for "no"s is to avoid the creation of groups with
inappropriate names. Single Transferrable Voting is a better way to do this.
"No"s in Single Transferrable Voting allow people to express preferences among
the names independent of expressing support for creation of a group. Thus, to
answer: "How many people want a group with the most preferred name?":

the total vote less 'no's removed is under 100 ===> vote fails

(see my post, "Single Transferrable Vote Counting", for details)

This avoids the problem pointed out by
dave@cogsci.indiana.edu (David Chalmers):
(in article <29992@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>)
|Assume I don't care whether the group exists or not, but I feel very
|strongly against the name "sci.aquaria".  How do I vote?  There's no
|way I can express this group preference without effectively voting
|eith "YES" or "NO" to the group itself.  Either I can vote
|
|(1) rec.aquaria (2) NO (3) sci.aquaria
|or
|(1) NO (2) rec.aquaria (3) sci.aquaria.
|
|But neither of these is right.  The first will count as an effective YES
|vote for the group, demonstrating an enthusiasm for the group which is not
|present.  Ditto for the second and "NO".

With the counting method suggested above, the second option indicates
preference without affecting support for group creation.

>After the count, the results shall be posted to news.groups, showing the
>count at each stage, and listing voters by their first preferences.  The
>list may also show their other preferences in any convenient tabular form.

If users can check the scoring, then posting the intermediate counts is
unnecessary. Thus:

Results, including number of votes for the most preferred name, number of
votes supporting creation, and the how each person voted, shall be posted to
news.announce.newgroups and other groups that received the earlier
announcements.
--
David S. Stodolsky, PhD      Routing: <@uunet.uu.net:stodol@diku.dk>
Department of Psychology                  Internet: <stodol@diku.dk>

In article <5015@freja.diku.dk> stodol@freja.diku.dk (David Stodolsky) writes:
> In <2438@stl.stc.co.uk> "David Wright" <dww@stl.stc.co.uk> writes:

[lots of stuff about how to count NO votes]

I think the guy who said the vote should include seperate sections for
the name and charter was right. Having run STV votes both ways, it's no
more trouble to count YES/NO/NO.OPINION plus a choice of names than just
a name vote. And it's clearly more flexible.

How about this:

Votes should be run as now (100 more YES than NO, with 2/3 YES required or
without), but if there is controversy about the name then a simultaneous
STV vote should be run on the name. This would make the ballots look like:

	YES
	alt.drugs.lithuanian.sheepdogs
	rec.models.barbie
	comp.sys.eniac.tcp-ip
	sci.weemba.sheep
	talk.sex.in.the.morning
	<frodo@shire.middle.earth>

This could also be extended to other aspects of the vote, such as the
charter.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
 'U`  Also <peter@ficc.lonestar.org> or <peter@sugar.lonestar.org>.

At least from the postings, it seems that many people think that voting
on group names is good solution, and that this does not need to be
explained.

I want it explained.  What is the purpose in naming groups, and given
that purpose, how does that dictate how a namespace should be
structured?

And in particular, why would voting on names attain these goals?

It seems to me that allocating names in a namespace is the sort of
thing which is almost never voted on by the public-at-large in real life.
Why do people take it as a given here?   Should internet numbers and
top level domains be decided by a vote?  Filenames for the location of
source code on a Unix system?   Street numbers?  Should the location
of a book in the library be voted upon by the borrowers?

If not these things, then why group names?

In article <62274@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
> It seems to me that allocating names in a namespace is the sort of
> thing which is almost never voted on by the public-at-large in real life.

Sure it is. Maybe not in the U.S., where street names are generated by
developers running a buzz-phrase generator, but in Australia street names
are frequently voted on by council, based on suggestions from the population.
Sometimes even in general elections.

> Street numbers?

There goes my irony detector.
--

stodol@freja.diku.dk (David Stodolsky) (12/18/89)

brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes in Message-ID:
<62274@looking.on.ca>:
>At least from the postings, it seems that many people think that voting
>on group names is good solution, and that this does not need to be
>explained.

Voting is the worst solution, except for having no way to reach a fair
decision. Voting rules should encourage people to come to a consensus
decision, in which all important facts and points of view are satisfied.
However, reaching a consensus decision on Usenet is nearly impossible for two
reasons. With a very large number of participants, some of who act in an
irresponsible manner, a total consensus is never reached. Second, if people
agree with a point they typically don't post, "I agree". Let's face it, after
the first half dozen, this gets to be boring reading. So, given the current
communication structure on Usenet, that does little to discourage
irresponsible behavior and has no inherent "back channel" or review message
capabilities, a vote is normally necessary to reach a decision, even if a
consensus exits.

This second reason is why I ran the groupware vote STV. A number of people
posted or mailed the opinion that the name should be comp.groupware not
sci.groupware. Then, I presented my arguments as to why it should be
sci.groupware and there was no rejoinder, actually hardly any comment at all.
So, either the critics were convinced or they did not read my arguments,
couldn't be bothered to respond, their mail/posts were lost, etc. Well, the
vote showed that the critics were not convinced (at least not most of them).

An ideal voting system should work like an ideal court system. If you know
what the decision is going to be, why waste the time to go through a complex
and resource consuming procedure. The key point is that the system is fair, so
you can not accomplish anything by using it that can not be accomplished by a
clear presentation and understanding of the facts.

Greg Wood believes that the current patch to the Guidelines (i. e., the 2/3
rule) will by its threat potential, force group champions to accept a proper
name. This will not work for two reasons. First, due to the lack of
appropriate feedback, which is typically combined with inexperience, group
champions often don't know what a proper name is. And they often don't know
various persons on the net well enough to distinguish between people trying to
help them, and those who just are opposed to the group or get their kicks by
taunting any "new kid on the block".

Second, a contest, which is even clearer when there is a 2/3 rule, is just
what will encourage certain people to try and "beat the system". That is, show
that they can WIN, regardless of what the contest is about. This kind of
environment also generates vote fraud and forgeries. Finally, people leave
Usenet, start their own hierarchies, or take other measures avoid stupid
stuff. There is enough recent experience on the net to illustrate this.

If single transferrable voting procedures are available, it will be clearer
that forcing a decision to a vote is just a waste of time. This, hopefully,
will encourage less people to try to delay or defeat an obvious conclusion. A
higher level of consensus is certainly needed on Usenet at this time.