[news.admin] Questions re "Expires:" and cross-posting

charles@teslab.lab.OZ (Charles W. Widepy) (12/15/89)

There was an article <3505@solo10.cs.vu.nl> received here recently
that had an expiry date of the end of 1992.  It was over 32K in
length, cross-posted to 4 groups (comp.editors, comp.unix.questions,
comp.text, comp.misc) but there were multiple copies rather than one
copy with multiple links - meaning it would take up about 400
kilobyte-years on the disk (and we didn't even want it). I have two
questions:

* Why are there multiple copies of a cross-posted article (all other
cross-posted articles I have seen here are linked)?

* Is it possible to prevent the use of the "Expires:" postnews
option?

In article <234@teslab.lab.OZ> charles@teslab.lab.oz.au (Charles W. Widepy) writes:
>* Is it possible to prevent the use of the "Expires:" postnews
>option?

Not readily.  It's really easy to just edit up your article with whatever
headers you want and give it to "inews -h".  The real fix is to have a way
to tell expire "articles are not allowed to stay around more than N days,
regardless of what their headers say".  C News expire has this; the prototype
expire-control file that we include sets a 90-day default limit, which can
be overridden on a group-by-group basis.
--
1755 EST, Dec 14, 1972:  human |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
exploration of space terminates| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) (12/20/89)

In article <234@teslab.lab.OZ> charles@teslab.lab.OZ (Charles W. Widepy) writes:
\There was an article <3505@solo10.cs.vu.nl> received here recently
\that had an expiry date of the end of 1992.  It was over 32K in
\length, cross-posted to 4 groups (comp.editors, comp.unix.questions,
\comp.text, comp.misc)

The article was posted by me (the Vi Reference).  I have used the `Expires:'
header option because the same questions tend to get asked over and over;
if people would start reading comp.editors, the very first article they'd
find would be the Reference.  I have kept the `Message-ID' to be able to use
the `Supersedes' option when a new version will be ready.  I have cross-posted
to other groups of interest because on many sites comp.editors seems not to be
available.

\
\* Why are there multiple copies of a cross-posted article (all other
\cross-posted articles I have seen here are linked)?

It seems your news software must be fixed: at our site there are 4 links to
the same file.

\* Is it possible to prevent the use of the "Expires:" postnews
\option?

That would be a disservice to the net: normally one uses this header item to
SHORTEN an article's lifetime, because of its topical contents.  Often the
`Expires:' line is simply ignored by the `expire' program.
I used the `Expires:' option to LENGHTEN the lifetime, because some other
more appropriate option seems not to be available (hint).
--
  Sci.aquaria votes are only poisson distributed in France.  (Alan M Stanier) |
 Maarten Litmaath @ VU Amsterdam:  maart@cs.vu.nl,  uunet!mcsun!botter!maart