[news.admin] Truncated Message-IDs

flee@shire.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) (12/16/89)

Chris Torek <chris@mimsy.umd.edu> wrote:
> Some site along the following path is truncating Message-ID lines and

Message-IDs are being truncated to 31 characters.  Other header lines
are being munged in unfriendly ways: Subject sometimes rewritten;
Newsgroups reduced to one newsgroup; References randomly changed;
Distribution, Reply-To, Organization, etc. lines deleted.

Below, all the munged Message-IDs I found in my history.  All were
received today.  All have one of the following in their Path:
	motcsd!hpda!hpcuhb!hpsmtc1!hp-ses!hplabs!hp-sdd
	hp-sdd!hplabs!hp-ses!hpcuhb!hpsmtc1!hpda!motcsd
Note that one sub-path is almost the reverse of the other.

<1989Dec10.195003.10146@NCoast.O>
<1989Dec11.144340.2905@cs.roches>
<1989Dec11.193312.21346@csusac.c>
<1989Dec3.132456.22037@contact.u>
<1989Dec6.190625.17207@phri.nyu.>
<1989Dec6.225107.20205@Neon.Stan>
<1989Dec7.001819.26761@Neon.Stan>
<1989Dec7.154633.25840@cs.roches>
<1989Dec7.172233.10130@chinet.ch>
<1989Dec7.191310.4016@usenet.ins>
<1989Dec7.194028.5875@virtech.uu>
<1989Dec7.201834.21035@polyslo.C>
<1989Dec8.043657.26911@athena.mi>
<1989Dec8.143424.17066@athena.mi>
<1989Dec8.150215.24136@sjsumcs.s>
<1989Dec8.173356.1749@alberta.uu>
<1989Dec8.191148.28057@cadre.dsl>
<5eg702Q172dF01@amdahl.uts.amdah>
<8912072233.AA00235@civilgate.ce>
<8912081338.AA04820@umix.cc.umic>
<8912081415.AA12414@richter.mit.>
<8912081426.AA17178@sn1987a.comp>
<8912081808.AA16463@umix.cc.umic>
<9198.257DE20F@stjhmc.fidonet.or>
<9199.257DE215@stjhmc.fidonet.or>
<9221.257E1BCF@stjhmc.fidonet.or>
<9259.25804EF3@stjhmc.fidonet.or>
<9260.25804EF9@stjhmc.fidonet.or>
<9317.25828CDD@stjhmc.fidonet.or>
<ANDREWT.89Dec6215431@watsnew.wa>
<AZTz25K00Uka8Bt052@andrew.cmu.e>
<BOB.89Dec7111254@volitans.Morni>
<DME.89Dec6150041@gould.doc.ic.a>
<DOUGM.89Dec10124339@queso.ico.i>
<Dec.6.06.26.10.1989.7426@busboy>
<JEFFC.89Dec6121606@bach.ncr-fc.>
<JEFFC.89Dec7095557@bach.ncr-fc.>
<JEFFC.89Dec7100039@bach.ncr-fc.>
<JEFFC.89Dec8160528@bach.ncr-fc.>
<MATSC.89Dec6095053@vishnu.sics.>
<MATSC.89Dec8085240@vishnu.sics.>
<MATSC.89Dec8125828@vishnu.sics.>
<MONTNARO.89Dec6235250@sprite.cr>
<TADGUY.89Dec7154957@diatomite.c>
<sZTypoW00Xo94=XEZG@andrew.cmu.e>
<wZU493K00UiOQ5opge@andrew.cmu.e>
--
Felix Lee	flee@shire.cs.psu.edu	*!psuvax1!flee

campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) (12/21/89)

-
-Message-IDs are being truncated to 31 characters.  Other header lines
-are being munged in unfriendly ways: Subject sometimes rewritten;
-Newsgroups reduced to one newsgroup; References randomly changed;
-Distribution, Reply-To, Organization, etc. lines deleted.
-
-Below, all the munged Message-IDs I found in my history.  All were
-received today.  All have one of the following in their Path:
-	motcsd!hpda!hpcuhb!hpsmtc1!hp-ses!hplabs!hp-sdd
-	hp-sdd!hplabs!hp-ses!hpcuhb!hpsmtc1!hpda!motcsd
-Note that one sub-path is almost the reverse of the other.

I checked here -- the same articles were munged.  Here is a list of
only those sites that appear in the path lines of all the articles:

	motcsd		hplabs		apple		hp-ses
	hpsmtc1		hpcuhb		hpda

hp-sdd appeared in the paths of only 12 of the corrupted articles here,
so it can be ruled out.
--
Larry Campbell                          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
campbell@redsox.bsw.com                 120 Fulton Street