[news.admin] What is wrong with my sys file?

adnan@sgtech.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) (12/07/89)

I am trying to unbatch the UUCP map files.  I have the following lines
in my sys file:

sgtech:world,alt,bionet,biz,comp,pubnet,gnu,sci,news,rec,soc,talk,misc,na,usa,sgtech,to.ncoast::
ncoast:world,alt,bionet,biz,comp,pubnet,gnu,sci,news,rec,soc,talk,misc,na,usa,to.sgtech::
sgtech:comp.mail.maps:F:/usr/spool/news/maps/Batch

I get the map files into comp.mail.maps, but the files never get
listed in Batch.  What have I done wrong?
--
Adnan Yaqub
Star Gate Technologies, 29300 Aurora Rd., Solon, OH, USA, +1 216 349 1860

karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (12/08/89)

adnan@sgtech.uucp writes:
   I am trying to unbatch the UUCP map files.  I have the following lines
   in my sys file:
   sgtech:comp.mail.maps:F:/usr/spool/news/maps/Batch
   ...  What have I done wrong?

Add "world," just before "comp" and you may want to use a fictitious
hostname, not the same name as your system.

See "USENET Version B Installation," section 7.7 Distributions.

--Karl

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (12/12/89)

In article <KARL.89Dec8100651@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
<adnan@sgtech.uucp writes:
<   I am trying to unbatch the UUCP map files.  I have the following lines
<   in my sys file:
<   sgtech:comp.mail.maps:F:/usr/spool/news/maps/Batch
<   ...  What have I done wrong?
<
<Add "world," just before "comp" and you may want to use a fictitious
<hostname, not the same name as your system.

A good name to use is "maps".
--
                harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

nvk@abcom.ATT.COM (049nr Nishi Karmali x2266 ) (12/21/89)

From article <300@vidiot.UUCP>, by brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot):
> In article <KARL.89Dec8100651@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
> <adnan@sgtech.uucp writes:
> <   I am trying to unbatch the UUCP map files.  I have the following lines
> <   in my sys file:
> <   sgtech:comp.mail.maps:F:/usr/spool/news/maps/Batch
> <   ...  What have I done wrong?
> <
> <Add "world," just before "comp" and you may want to use a fictitious
> <hostname, not the same name as your system.
>
> A good name to use is "maps".
     In my case the cron enries makes Index file but my maps files
     are not updated. Also I get the mail back with the message,

       /usr/lib/news/usenet/mapsh: PATH: restricted

     I tried to fix this problem to uuhosts shell with no luck.

     Can anybody email to me what am I doing wrong? Everything was
     working fine until Oct 23rd. And I have not made any changes
     to software. Also because of this my pathalias does not work either.
--
Nishi Karmali ATT
uucp:   ...!occrsh!abcom!nvk

jp@frog.UUCP (John Pimentel) (12/27/89)

In article <21785@abcom.ATT.COM> nvk@abcom.ATT.COM (049nr Nishi Karmali x2266 ) writes:
>     In my case the cron enries makes Index file but my maps files
>     are not updated. Also I get the mail back with the message,
>
>       /usr/lib/news/usenet/mapsh: PATH: restricted
>
>     I tried to fix this problem to uuhosts shell with no luck.
>
>     Can anybody email to me what am I doing wrong? Everything was
>     working fine until Oct 23rd. And I have not made any changes
>     to software. Also because of this my pathalias does not work either.

Not to scare you, but have you really read your article posted here?
Your words "Everything was working fine until Oct 23rd. And I have not
made any changes to software." I might not be the quickest or perhaps the
brightest person on the net, but... this looks like a virus.
I hope you have a backup dating before Oct. 23rd.

>--
>Nishi Karmali ATT
>uucp:   ...!occrsh!abcom!nvk

---