[news.admin] *% CALL FOR VOTES %* NEW GROUP - soc.culture.british

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (12/21/89)

In <16026@linkage.com> jpi@research.linkage.com (Jean-Paul Inso) writes:

> Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv.uk,soc.misc,soc.culture.celtic,soc.culture.misc,talk.bi\zarre,rec.misc,rec.sport.misc,rec.sport.soccer,rec.arts.misc,news.announce.newg\roups,news.groups,news.admin

> In article <8912181809.AA01062@ncar.ucar.EDU>,
> MATON%SASK.BITNET@EVANS.UCAR.EDU crossposts to ALL the above groups,
> except for news.admin, which I added.

How pleasant of you to do that.  Why do the readers of all of those
groups care?  Oh, by the way, you seem to have picked up a couple of
extra backslashes up there, but it worked out well.  This didn't end
up going back to talk.bizarre or being sent to Greg Woods as moderated
of news.announce.newgroups.

> This wanton crossposting of talk.bizarre stupidity by talk.bizarre
> stupids must cease; I at least am quite fed up with these people and
> their inability to keep their trash in their own group.

What in the world are you talking about?  It was a legitimate call for
votes.  I don't see how it was appropriate for talk.bizarre as the
topic of the proposed group doesn't seem particularly related to the
world of talk.bizarre.  I wouldn't have posted it to rec.sport.soccer
rec.misc, rec.sport.misc or rec.arts.misc, either, but it wasn't my
decision.  Why don't you complain about them some?

> Shouldn't unneighborly conduct on the net be discouraged?

Yes.

> Shouldn't this barrage of crossposting cease?

Inappropriate cross-posting should.  I don't see why it was posted
_to_ talk.bizarre to begin with.  It wasn't posted _from_ there
though.  I just did a case-insensitive grep on the 804 articles in the
spool for talk.bizarre and 'maton' only came up in one article, the
one you replied to.

> Shouldn't we stop propagating talk.bizarre?

NO.

Dave
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

jpi@research.linkage.com (Jean-Paul Inso) (12/21/89)

In article <8912181809.AA01062@ncar.ucar.EDU>,
MATON%SASK.BITNET@EVANS.UCAR.EDU crossposts to ALL the above
groups, except for news.admin, which I added.  This wanton
crossposting of talk.bizarre stupidity by talk.bizarre
stupids must cease; I at least am quite fed up with these
people and their inability to keep their trash in their own
group.  We do not receive talk.bizarre here and we do not
want to and this continual crossposting of talk.bizarre
article to other groups is a subversion of a News
Administrator's control over his feed.  I recommend that we
proceed at once with Gregory Paris' suggestion, which was to
refuse to propagate talk.bizarre from site to site; then
talk.bizarre would continue to exist, but much diminished; I
think it would eventually fade away.

Shouldn't unneighborly conduct on the net be discouraged?
Shouldn't this barrage of crossposting cease?
Shouldn't we stop propagating talk.bizarre?

|   Jean-Paul Inso, systems programmer, Linkage Systems Inc.  (518)-272-6197  |
|[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][*][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]|

QUIT
,

david@indetech.com (David Kuder) (12/28/89)

In article <16026@linkage.com> jpi@research.linkage.com (Jean-Paul Inso) writes:
>In article <8912181809.AA01062@ncar.ucar.EDU>,
>MATON%SASK.BITNET@EVANS.UCAR.EDU crossposts to ALL the above ...
	And you do too.

>Shouldn't unneighborly conduct on the net be discouraged?
	Yes.

>Shouldn't this barrage of crossposting cease?
	Perhaps.  I didn't see the original article but calls for
discussion of new news groups are often cross posted to many groups
under the impression that folks in those groups will be interested in
the new group.  In this case the poster may have been under the
impression that talk.bizarre habitants were interested in British
culture.

>Shouldn't we stop propagating talk.bizarre?
	No.  If they are willing to annoy the net for a cheap thrill
they may go ape if their toy is taken away.  One thing USENET is not
about is good manners.  If the anarachy bothers you, you can pay good
money for a well managed and civilized venue.

>QUIT
>,
	Please!
--
David A. Kuder                                               Now what coach?
415 438-2003  david@indetech.com  {uunet,sun,sharkey,pacbell}!indetech!david