[news.admin] newgroup comp.org.usenix.roomshare

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (12/17/89)

In article <299@usenix.UUCP> usenet@usenix.UUCP (USENET News Administration)
does a newgroup.

No discussion in news.groups.   No discussion in comp.org.usenix.
Just a newgroup message.   This is not alt or bionet or inet where
certain people can create groups without asking.   What's going on?
Unless someone can convince me that this is both genuine and legitimate
I'll send out an rmgroup.

Maybe the article is a forgery.  But if so, it's a good one: the path looks
right, and the article id (299) is close to the most recent article id from
usenix that I can find (296).   Of course all that means is that a forger
would have to be able to access uunet, and know news well - cuts down the
possibilities to about a thousand people!

Regards,    David Wright       STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK
dww@stl.stc.co.uk <or> ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!stl!dww <or> PSI%234237100122::DWW
Living in a country without a written constitution means having to trust in
the Good Will of the Government and the Generosity of Civil Servants.

I think then when you have a group that does have somebody responsible
for it, such as comp.org.*, moderated groups etc., then that somebody
should be able to create a subgroup without the annoying and wasteful
process of a survey/vote.   It sure saves a lot of time and fuss, and it
doesn't confuse the namespace any more than it already is.

In fact, I think that we should delegate semi-moderators in charge of
many of the larger groups who would have the authority to control the
subspace, adding and deleting groups within it, without putting everything
to the committee of 500.

I suppose it might be a good idea to have chances announced a few days in
advance, so that anybody with a serious objection (ie. a lot more than
"I don't like the name") can MAIL in, but that's about it.

Bravo to comp.org.usenix.roomshare for getting the ball rolling.

Anybody want to volunteer to take charge of comp.sys.ibm.pc?

shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) (12/18/89)

[]
It's not a forgery.  Take it up with lou@usenix.org.
--
Melinda Shore                                     shore@mtxinu.com
Mt Xinu                                  ..!uunet!mtxinu.com!shore

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (12/19/89)

We ignored the creategroup here.  No fuss, no screaming.  It just
didn't happen.	- Brian

mcb@presto.IG.COM (Michael C. Berch) (12/19/89)

In article <2579@.stc.co.uk> "David Wright" <dww@stl.stc.co.uk> writes:
> In article <299@usenix.UUCP> usenet@usenix.UUCP (USENET News Administration)
> does a newgroup.
>
> No discussion in news.groups.   No discussion in comp.org.usenix.
> Just a newgroup message.   This is not alt or bionet or inet where
> certain people can create groups without asking.   What's going on?
> Unless someone can convince me that this is both genuine and legitimate
> I'll send out an rmgroup.

While it may technically violate the new group creation guidelines, we
may wish to recognize an exception to them, that the responsible party
for *.org.* newsgroups has the informal power to manage the namespace
below *.org.xxx, so long as he/she works in concert with the central
namespace authorities (i.e., the newgroup czars) and does not abuse the
authority so delegated.

The number of newsgroups may soon become so large as to require
significant delegation in management of the namespace.  There may need
to be a "comp.sys.*" coordinator or a "rec.games.*" coordinator...

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@presto.ig.com / uunet!presto.ig.com!mcb

news@mikebat.UUCP (News Administration) (12/21/89)

> > No discussion in news.groups.   No discussion in comp.org.usenix.
> > Just a newgroup message......... What's going on?
> > Unless someone can convince me that this is both genuine and legitimate
> > I'll send out an rmgroup.
>
> While it may ... violate the ... guidelines, we may wish to recognize ...
> that the responsible party for *.org.* newsgroups has the informal power
> to manage the namespace below *.org.xxx

OK I'm very new at all this. I've read the documentation that comes with
b-news2.11 and it talks about setting NONEWGROUP or NOTIFY but nothing about
all this protocol concerning groups and stuff. Can I define groups for
internal consumption. By the end of next year I plan to have four machines
at various sites in my company and very much want to use the net news mechanism
to get things out to employees. I also want us to be connected to the net.
I DON'T want to bring the wrath of the net on my shoulders because I'm
doing things which really have no significance outside my own organization.
Can I or can't I do thing for my own consumption without creating undesired
effects on the rest of the net.

Please send any e-mail to uunet!wshb!michaelb

--
Michael Batchelor / KA7ZNZ                    uunet!wshb!mikebat!michaelb
Gorbachev is certainly not a Stalinist,  but he is also just as certainly

In article <Dec.18.16.45.35.1989.21766@presto.IG.COM>
	mcb@presto.IG.COM (Michael C. Berch) writes:
>In article <2579@.stc.co.uk> "David Wright" <dww@stl.stc.co.uk> writes:
>> In article <299@usenix.UUCP> usenet@usenix.UUCP (USENET News Administration)
>> No discussion in news.groups.   No discussion in comp.org.usenix.
No announcement in news.announce.newgroups...
>> Just a newgroup message.

>> Unless someone can convince me that this is both genuine and legitimate
>> I'll send out an rmgroup.

Please DO.  I was just too apathetic to do it myself (I figured I
didn't need to add to the expected flood of rmgroups).  Genuine
or not, it's not legitimate.  Not even USENIX deserves special
recognition.
(BTW, neither of my sites honored the newgroup)

>While it may technically violate the new group creation guidelines, we
>may wish to recognize an exception to them, that the responsible party
>for *.org.* newsgroups has the informal power to manage the namespace

I can see it now...

	Call for discussion--comp.org.aquaria

	This newsgroup is proposed to take advantage of the
	exception allowing org groups to do as they damn well
	please in the mainstream namespace.

No thank you.
					-=EPS=-