[news.admin] checkgroups

rae98@wash08.uucp (Robert A. Earl) (10/11/89)

Before I installed Cnews last month, I got a checkgroups message
automagically every month-beginning or so which told me what was
wrong with my active file.

Did I miss it this month...Did I bungle something while installing
Cnews?  What is different this month?

Any suggestions?
Name:	Bob Earl		Phone:	(202) 872-6018 (wk)
UUCP:	...!uunet!wash08!rae98	BITNET:	rae98@CAS

tale@cs.rpi.edu (Dave Lawrence) (12/06/89)

Bleah.  This appeared in control here today:

> From: otts@tfsg.UUCP (otts)
> Newsgroups: news.admin.ctl,control
> Subject: checkgroups
> Date: 6 Dec 89 01:14:26 GMT
> Control: checkgroups
> Distriubtion: local

_PLEASE_ do not pass Distribution: local postings.  Most of us don't
care that you happen to want alt.sex.bestiality or don't think
soc.culture.asean is valid.  If you want to newgroup
alt.swedish.chef.bork.bork.bork it shouldn't appear on a third (VERY
rough guess; I have no real idea how widespread the problem is) of the
sites of USENET.

Clearly, at least one distribution class is needed to keep postings
limited to a single site, whether they be control messages, or burst
digests, or locally gatewayed mailing lists or whatever.  It might as
well be "local" so that everyone can clearly put in their sys files
not to pass it on, even if they happen to get an errant one fed to them.

Dave
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

In article <FA+QW*@rpi.edu> tale@cs.rpi.edu (Dave Lawrence) writes:

   > Distriubtion: local

   _PLEASE_ do not pass Distribution: local postings.

What a dorque.  The problem for this posting was obviously that
(Thanks, Joe Weening, for pointing it out to me.  Now hopefully four
hundred other people won't.)

I still consider what I said in the rest of my article to be valid.  I
_have_ seen "local" postings make it here from off-site, and it really
shouldn't happen.

Dave
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) (12/07/89)

In article <FA+QW*@rpi.edu>, tale@cs.rpi.edu (Dave Lawrence) writes:
- Bleah.  This appeared in control here today:
-
- > From: otts@tfsg.UUCP (otts)
- > Newsgroups: news.admin.ctl,control
- > Subject: checkgroups
- > Date: 6 Dec 89 01:14:26 GMT
- > Control: checkgroups
- > Distriubtion: local
    ------^^--------------------------- LOOK
-
- _PLEASE_ do not pass Distribution: local postings.  Most of us don't
- care that you happen to want alt.sex.bestiality or don't think
- soc.culture.asean is valid.

Looks like a typo to me.  This guy misspelled the -d switch to inews.

--
Bob Weissman, USENET admin for omni.com
Internet:	bob@omni.com

swc@sys.uea.ac.uk (S.W. Cox CMP Staff) (01/22/90)

Could somebody give me some advice on posting the checkgroups control message.
I've been trying from within nn and by using Pnews and inews directly but
nothing is forcoming. I'm sure my active file is not fully up to date so
it's not due to to the fact that it has found nothing wrong.

Thanks, Steve.