[news.admin] moderated newsgroup with no moderator address

blackcat@neuro.usc.edu (01/15/90)

This is supposed to be trivial ... but, when your newsgroup is
marked as moderated ... but there is no moderator address ...
and everyone posting to the newsgroup is supposed to be able to
approve their articles (providing they can figure out how to do
it) ... how does one approve their own articles?

Thanks, The Black Cat

p.s.  I am a biologist not a computer science person ... so
      please keep this simple ... we make neural networks
      here ... not database management systems.

spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) (01/18/90)

In article <22310@usc.edu> blackcat@neuro.usc.edu writes:
<This is supposed to be trivial ... but, when your newsgroup is
<marked as moderated ... but there is no moderator address ...
<and everyone posting to the newsgroup is supposed to be able to
<approve their articles (providing they can figure out how to do
<it) ... how does one approve their own articles?

	It is a secret.
->Spike
--
"The World" - Public Access Unix - +1 617-739-9753  24hrs {3,12,24}00bps

stewart@netxcom.DHL.COM (John Stewart) (01/19/90)

In article <22310@usc.edu> blackcat@neuro.usc.edu writes:
>This is supposed to be trivial ... but, when your newsgroup is
>marked as moderated ... but there is no moderator address ...
>and everyone posting to the newsgroup is supposed to be able to
>approve their articles (providing they can figure out how to do
>it) ... how does one approve their own articles?

DON'T APPROVE YOUR OWN ARTICLES -- unless you want to be flamed to a crisp. :-)

To find out more about moderated news groups you should read Gene
Spafford's regular postings in news.lists (also in news.groups and
news.announce.newusers).  Look for the subjects "How to Construct the
Mailpaths File ..." and "List of Moderators ..."  Among other things,
he says:

    If your system is running 2.11 news, posting to moderated newsgroups
    is done by mailing your submission to well-defined aliases at a nearby
    well-connected site.  The mail path to that site should be in your
    news library, in the file "mailpaths" -- there is no need to update
    a moderators file.  Information on how to construct the paths in the
    "mailpaths" file are posted monthly in a companion article.

    If you are NOT running 2.11 news, you are *STRONGLY* advised to upgrade
    to it so as to take advantage of this feature, as well as the numerous
    bug fixes and other enhancements.

The use of the mailpaths file is described in the "USENET Version B
Installation" document under paragraph 3.17. "mailpaths."  It is better
described in Spaffords "How to Construct ..." article, which also
contains a directory of the "well-connected" sites.  For example,
this site (netxcom) uses uunet to forward articles to moderators.
So the file /usr/lib/news/mailpaths contains the line:

backbone	uunet!%s

So when someone posts to comp.sources.unix the contribution is sent to
uunet!comp-sources-unix.  uunet will then forward the message to the
actual moderator.

Hope this helps.

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (01/20/90)

In article <3021@netxcom.DHL.COM> stewart@netxcom.DHL.COM (John Stewart) writes:
   In article <22310@usc.edu> blackcat@neuro.usc.edu writes:
      This is supposed to be trivial ... but, when your newsgroup is
      marked as moderated ... but there is no moderator address ...
      and everyone posting to the newsgroup is supposed to be able to
      approve their articles (providing they can figure out how to do
      it) ... how does one approve their own articles?

   DON'T APPROVE YOUR OWN ARTICLES -- unless you want to be flamed to
   a crisp. :-)

I think blackcat's question was in reference to alt.hackers, where the
posting procedure is slightly different (and perhaps a bit more
difficult to figure out) than the procedure for most moderated groups.

The folks who created alt.hackers thought it would be a cute idea.

kelly@uts.amdahl.com (Kelly Goen) (01/20/90)

In article <BOB.90Jan19134311@volitans.MorningStar.Com> bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>In article <3021@netxcom.DHL.COM> stewart@netxcom.DHL.COM (John Stewart) writes:
>   In article <22310@usc.edu> blackcat@neuro.usc.edu writes:
>      This is supposed to be trivial ... but, when your newsgroup is
>      marked as moderated ... but there is no moderator address ...
>      and everyone posting to the newsgroup is supposed to be able to
>      approve their articles (providing they can figure out how to do
>      it) ... how does one approve their own articles?
>
>   DON'T APPROVE YOUR OWN ARTICLES -- unless you want to be flamed to
>   a crisp. :-)
>
>I think blackcat's question was in reference to alt.hackers, where the
>posting procedure is slightly different (and perhaps a bit more
>difficult to figure out) than the procedure for most moderated groups.
>
>The folks who created alt.hackers thought it would be a cute idea.

And indeed it is cute...for the uninformed somewhat confusing I imagine
    cheers
    kelly

In article <BOB.90Jan19134311@volitans.MorningStar.Com> bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
> >I think blackcat's question was in reference to alt.hackers, where the
> >posting procedure is slightly different (and perhaps a bit more
> >difficult to figure out) than the procedure for most moderated groups.

Ah yes. Alt.hackers. The penultimate moderated group.

(The ultimate, of course, being alt.dev.null)
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \

jxxl@cs.nps.navy.mil (Keeper of the Flame) (01/22/90)

In article <D9710:3xds13@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

> Ah yes. Alt.hackers. The penultimate moderated group.

If alt.hackers is the next to last moderated group, then what will be the
last? Alt.rapture? Alt.holocaust? Alt.oblivion? Alt.big.bang? I will gladly
moderate any of these. }:->

In article <677@cs.nps.navy.mil> jxxl@cs.nps.navy.mil (Keeper of the Flame) writes:
> In article <D9710:3xds13@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> > Ah yes. Alt.hackers. The penultimate moderated group.

> If alt.hackers is the next to last moderated group, then what will be the
> last?

I was using "ultimate" in the sense of "ideal". The ultimate moderated group
is, as I noted, alt.dev.null. Not only does it have no moderator, but it is
also not distributed.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \
\_.--._/ Xenix Support -- it's not just a job, it's an adventure!
      v  "Have you hugged your wolf today?" `-_-'

subbarao@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) (01/23/90)

Just WHERE IS alt.hackers???? I type g alt.hackers and NOTHING happens. Could
you kindly tell me

1) If this group even EXISTS
2) If it does, how do I get access to it

				-Thanks,
			         Kartik

--
subbarao@{phoenix,bogey or gauguin}.princeton.edu