[news.admin] How much does it cost/what else is involved to connect to the USENET?

kriz@skat.usc.edu (Dennis Kriz) (01/17/90)

With the passage fo King day and catching a segment yesterday on the ABC
Evening News concerning Coretta Scott King and the MLK Center for Non-violent
Studies, I'm seriously considering writing Mrs King, concerning the USENET
and SRH... asking her to consider having her upper-level students "post their
(shorter) homework" on the group.  They'd get feedback on their ideas, and
we would also learn from them.  What other channel can you think of, where
you instantly have a near world-wide audience of 14,000+ (December) that
can also then give near instant feedback.

Anyway, I need to know some of procedural aspects to this... what does it
really take.  I would assume that just about every center of MLK's kind
would either have computer facilities already ... or be considering buying
them **real** real soon.

dennis
kriz@skat.usc.edu

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (01/23/90)

In article <22352@usc.edu>, kriz@skat.usc.edu (Dennis Kriz) writes:

> Anyway, I need to know some of procedural aspects to this... what does it
> really take.  I would assume that just about every center of MLK's kind
> would either have computer facilities already ... or be considering buying
> them **real** real soon.

> dennis
> kriz@skat.usc.edu

It takes the same thing everyone else has to have.... a system that'll
run news, someone computer-literate to maintain the system, a phone
line with modem (TrailBlazer recommended) or a direct high-speed link,
someone to connect to (I think they're in Atlanta, which should have
at least a dozen significant nodes), and a copy of the usenet users'
manual.

The system, staff, and line they'll have to provide themselves. Getting
a link in Atlanta should require three or four phone calls. The users'
manual can be bought, or printed from the distribution files for news.

In short, it's easy.

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)