[news.admin] Dates in C-news

stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Peltier) (01/22/90)

Why was the format of the date field in the history file changed
to a non-human-readable format?  I get the idea that it probably
saves a bit of processor speed for the program, but it's kind of
a pain to see a series of numbers when I want a quick and easy
way to check the status of my newsfeed.  Any other ways to do
this?  Thanks...

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (01/24/90)

In article <4831b2fb.bfe8@tachyon.engin.umich.edu>, stealth@caen (Mike Peltier) writes:
| Why was the format of the date field in the history file changed
| to a non-human-readable format?  I get the idea that it probably
| saves a bit of processor speed for the program, but it's kind of
| a pain to see a series of numbers when I want a quick and easy
| way to check the status of my newsfeed.  Any other ways to do
| this?  Thanks...

Well, they're in Nearly-Human-Readable format in the 'log' file, which
is where I'm checking on *my* newsfeeds.  And, I like the idea that
doing an expire doesn't have to parse that silly human-readable date
14 times over the two weeks that the article sits on my disk.

Besides, doesn't *everyone* know that 633117016 is
Tue Jan 23 09:50:16 1990 PST just by looking at it? :-)

(I can write you a Perl program to translate it back, if you insist.
:-)

Just another Cnews-admin,
--
/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III  |

flee@shire.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) (01/24/90)

Randal Schwartz <merlyn@iwarp.intel.com> wrote:
> I can write you a Perl program to translate it back, if you insist.

Conversely, you can use
	$NEWSBIN/getdate now 'now -1 day'
to find out that it's now 633139077, and yesterday was 633052677.
--
Felix Lee	flee@shire.cs.psu.edu	*!psuvax1!flee

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (01/24/90)

Randal Schwartz <merlyn@iwarp.intel.com> wrote:
> I can write you a Perl program to translate it back, if you insist.

Y'know, as soon as I saw RandalL's name on that article I knew he was
going to offer a perl solution.

In <C68n*p1@cs.psu.edu> flee@shire.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) writes:
> Conversely, you can use
>          $NEWSBIN/getdate now 'now -1 day'
> to find out that it's now 633139077, and yesterday was 633052677.

Yes, you can.  That isn't always completely helpful though.  Sometime
last month someone asked me when a group here was created.  I think it
was alt.folklore.computers.  Well, active.times told me it was created
at 628900369.  Using the getdate approach I'd have to make a couple of
guesses to narrow it down a little and even then I'd have to spend
some extra time if I wanted to make it really accurate.  So I just
threw this trivial excuse for a programme in $NEWSBIN/maint/undate
and have found it handy when looking at a couple of times stored by C
News.

Error is checking is non-existent -- non-numeric arguments all just
get turned into 0 by atol() and give you back the beginning of the
Unix epoch.  I don't really care; works just fine for my needs.

--
#include <stdio.h>
#include <time.h>

int
main (argc, argv)
     int argc;
     char **argv;

{
  extern long atol();
  long clock;

  if (!--argc) {
    (void)fprintf(stderr,"Usage: %s seconds_since_unix_epoch [...]\n",argv[0]);
    exit(1);
  }

  while (argc--) {
    clock = atol(*++argv);
    (void)fputs(ctime(&clock), stdout);
  }

  exit(0);
}

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (01/24/90)

In <XJWGA+@rpi.edu> I offered a really dinky programme which all in
all was even dumber than I thought.  Geoff Collyer has just pointed out
to me what an idiot I am (well, he was nicer than that) because
"ctime" already exists in $NEWSBIN/maint.

Duh.

His even rejects bogus options, though the message seems a little off.
It basically does the same thing as what I posted.  I'll just use that
now.

Dave
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

jwc@unify.uucp (J. William Claypool) (01/25/90)

In article <XJWGA+@rpi.edu> tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:
>Randal Schwartz <merlyn@iwarp.intel.com> wrote:
>> I can write you a Perl program to translate it back, if you insist.
>
>Y'know, as soon as I saw RandalL's name on that article I knew he was
>going to offer a perl solution.
>
>In <C68n*p1@cs.psu.edu> flee@shire.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) writes:
>> Conversely, you can use
>>          $NEWSBIN/getdate now 'now -1 day'
>> to find out that it's now 633139077, and yesterday was 633052677.
>
>Yes, you can.  That isn't always completely helpful though.  Sometime
>last month someone asked me when a group here was created.  I think it
>was alt.folklore.computers.  Well, active.times told me it was created
>at 628900369.  Using the getdate approach I'd have to make a couple of
>guesses to narrow it down a little and even then I'd have to spend
>some extra time if I wanted to make it really accurate.  So I just
>threw this trivial excuse for a programme in $NEWSBIN/maint/undate
>and have found it handy when looking at a couple of times stored by C
>News.

What's wrong with $NEWSBIN/ctime?
--

Bill Claypool    +1 916 920 9092 | I know what I know if you know what I mean