[news.admin] inews: Article rejected

rikard@enorm.eb.se (H Rikard Johansson) (02/02/90)

I have version 2.11.17 of Bnews and I have two questions:

1.
I have the following problem:

inews: Article rejected: uucp included more text than new text

with some of my articles that is going thru a mail2news program,
when people have used special mailprograms, and there are some
extra stuff in the header. Is there a fix for this?

2.
What is the major differences betwixt Bnews and Cnews?

Thanks
--
 +====================================================================+
 | Rikard Johansson           Email: Rikard@EB.se                     |

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (02/05/90)

In article <648@enorm.eb.se> rikard@EB.se (H Rikard Johansson) writes:
|I have version 2.11.17 of Bnews and I have two questions:
|
|1.
|I have the following problem:
|
|inews: Article rejected: uucp included more text than new text
|
|with some of my articles that is going thru a mail2news program,
|when people have used special mailprograms, and there are some
|extra stuff in the header. Is there a fix for this?

	Somewhere in your mail2news script
	use sed or awk to change all lines
	in the message body with initial ">"
	to have initial "|". This will fake
	out inews.

|2.
|What is the major differences betwixt Bnews and Cnews?

	Cnews has better performance, and
	is much more flexible. It also has
	a Saturn V booster for the first
	stage.

--
  (__)	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \@@/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

kjones@talos.uu.net (Kyle Jones) (02/05/90)

Bruce Becker writes:
 > Somewhere in your mail2news script use sed or awk to change all lines
 > in the message body with initial ">" to have initial "|". This will
 > fake out inews.

Please don't!  This will only make the article harder to read for
everyone.  If you're the administrator of a news system and you don't
like article being rejected because of the percentage of included text,
then change inews.  If you can't change inews, then prepend a space to
the lines beginning with `>'.  This will fool inews and will make the
article more readable in most cases.

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (02/06/90)

If you find that inews is rejecting articles in your mail-to-news
gateway because the sender has included too many lines from a previous
article, you can interpose a sed script   '/^>/d' that will elide those
lines.  Most people won't miss them.

I would contend that your system is doing the right thing.  And I'm only
partly kidding.
	- Brian

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (02/06/90)

kjones@talos.uu.net (Kyle Jones) writes:

| > in the message body with initial ">" to have initial "|". This will
| > fake out inews.

|Please don't!  This will only make the article harder to read for
|everyone.

Speak for yourself! I like vertical bars much better.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
***  "May I take this opportunity of emphasizing that there is no cannibalism

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (02/09/90)

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:

o|Please don't!  This will only make the article harder to read for
o|everyone.

oSpeak for yourself! I like vertical bars much better.

oSean
o--
o***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
o***  "May I take this opportunity of emphasizing that there is no cannibalism
o***  in the British Navy. Absolutely none, and when I say none, I mean there
o***  is a certain amount, more than we are prepared to admit." -MP

Or you can use any other letter (!!) you like, like o above.  Remember
that news is not an exclusive US business anymore!  And characters like
{ | } [ \ ] etc. are used to represent NATIONAL LETTERS in many European
countries, so if you use "vertical bar", you could just as well use
'k' or 'p' - your article would be equally difficult to read.

So, PLEASE!!!!  Use >, just > and nothing but >

--
Kim F. Storm        storm@texas.dk        Tel +45 429 174 00
Texas Instruments, Marielundvej 46E, DK-2730 Herlev, Denmark