[news.admin] WBogus rmgroups?

  I have been seeing a lot of rmgroups lately, and I suspect that some
are bogus. When legit newgroup or rmgroup messages come through I see
reasons given, like usenet votes, etc. These have just come through,
from people I never heard of, removing groups, or making them
[un]moderated.

  Either these people are bogus, or they don't understand the proper way
to send such a message. Could anyone legitimate not realize that
responsible sites do these changes by hand and don't honor unexplained
rmgroups from unknown people?

  Is this in the policy somewhere? Is there some majot news software so
broken that the posters can't add the message?

brodie@fps.mcw.edu (02/09/90)

In article <2111@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>   I have been seeing a lot of rmgroups lately, and I suspect that some
> are bogus.......
>
>   ....Either these people are bogus, or they don't understand the proper way
> to send such a message. Could anyone legitimate not realize that
> responsible sites do these changes by hand and don't honor unexplained
> rmgroups from unknown people?
>
>   Is this in the policy somewhere? Is there some majot news software so
> broken that the posters can't add the message?

I don't think that "policy" of any kind can remedy stupid news admins.....

Kent C. Brodie - Systems Manager		brodie@fps.mcw.edu
Medical College of Wisconsin	     voice:	+1 414 778 4500
				     FAX:       +1 414 778 6694

"The worst thing you can do to a VAX/VMS system is log in."
			-Said at a local DECUS vax performance seminar