[news.admin] USENET protocols

allard@isi.edu (Dennis Allard) (02/14/90)

I am interested in helping put USENET up on other
platforms.  To do so, I would need a definition
of the protocols used by USENET.  Where can I find
information like this?  Is this the right group to
be posting a request such as this to?

Dennis Allard  allard@isi.edu

In article <11860@venera.isi.edu> allard@isi.edu (Dennis Allard) writes:
>I am interested in helping put USENET up on other
>platforms.  To do so, I would need a definition
>of the protocols used by USENET.  Where can I find
>information like this?  ...

RFC 1036 will tell you just about everything that is documented about them.
It won't tell you anything about underlying transmission systems, e.g. uucp,
however.  You'll have to sort out a way of getting data from A to B.
(Usenet, like CSNet, is a logical network rather than a physical one --
it's not bound to any specific transmission medium.)
--
"The N in NFS stands for Not, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
or Need, or perhaps Nightmare"| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu