[news.admin] history file size

jv@mhres.mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (02/15/90)

Hi,

I'm running 2.11 pl 8 on HP9000/300 with HP-UX 6.2.

I have about 60,000 articles on-line, and my history files (I
have SystemV "history.d/[0-9]" files) total up to about 4Mb.
I'm considering to use dbm in the news software, hoping this will
speed things up. I rebuilt the dbm history file, which grew to
more than 8 Mb in size. Is this normal? Since only the article ID
and the history file position are kept in the dbm file, I would
have expected it to be 50-60% of the history file size.

Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (02/15/90)

>have SystemV "history.d/[0-9]" files) total up to about 4Mb.
>I'm considering to use dbm in the news software, hoping this will
>speed things up. I rebuilt the dbm history file, which grew to

If you really want speed and minimal file sizes, you should use dbz.
Be sure to adjust the table size before using.  Let me know if you
want the latest version via email.

--
	- Make the world a better place -
Jon Zeeff    	zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us  or b-tech!zeeff

In article <4364@mhres.mh.nl> jv@mhres.mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
>... I rebuilt the dbm history file, which grew to
>more than 8 Mb in size. Is this normal? Since only the article ID
>and the history file position are kept in the dbm file, I would
>have expected it to be 50-60% of the history file size.

It's normal.  The dbm file is a hash table, more or less, and there
is quite a bit of empty space inside it.  Our history.pag is about 2.5 times
the size of our history file.
--
"The N in NFS stands for Not, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
or Need, or perhaps Nightmare"| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

mday@iconsys.icon.com (Matthew T. Day) (02/16/90)

From article <4364@mhres.mh.nl>, by jv@mhres.mh.nl (Johan Vromans):
> I'm running 2.11 pl 8 on HP9000/300 with HP-UX 6.2.
> I have about 60,000 articles on-line, and my history files (I
> have SystemV "history.d/[0-9]" files) total up to about 4Mb.
> I'm considering to use dbm in the news software, hoping this will
> speed things up. I rebuilt the dbm history file, which grew to
> more than 8 Mb in size. Is this normal? Since only the article ID
> and the history file position are kept in the dbm file, I would
> have expected it to be 50-60% of the history file size.

I would suggest getting the "dbz" replacement for the DBM library package,
it reduces the size of the file quite a bit, and I hear it's faster.  Also,
try to get the latest release of B 2.11, patch level 19.  That might solve
troubles as well.
--
- Matthew T. Day, Sanyo/Icon International, mday@iconsys.icon.com