[news.admin] rmgroup comp.sys.masscomp

lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair) (02/10/90)

In article <161@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@bcm.tmc.edu writes:

[[ ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ]]

I've received 6 of these, as well as three newgroups for comp.sys.concurrent.
Not a word of explanation.  What's going on here?
--
Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb@vicom.com

dan@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Dan Schlitt) (02/10/90)

In article <1990Feb9.174809.15759@vicom.com> lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair) writes:
:In article <161@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@bcm.tmc.edu writes:
:
:[[ ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ]]
:
:I've received 6 of these, as well as three newgroups for comp.sys.concurrent.
:Not a word of explanation.  What's going on here?
:--
:Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb@vicom.com

I sent mail and got back an answer indicating complete indifference to
the fact that he is flooding the world with these control messages.

--
Dan Schlitt                        Manager, Science Division Computer Facility
dan@sci.ccny.cuny.edu              City College of New York

In article <1990Feb9.200939.24813@sci.ccny.cuny.edu> dan@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Dan Schlitt) writes:

| I sent mail and got back an answer indicating complete indifference to
| the fact that he is flooding the world with these control messages.

  Are they legit? Does he have any athority, such as a vote I missed, or
is he just a person who dislikes these groups and want them to go away
everywhere?

sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (02/11/90)

Some eight months ago, I as moderator of comp.sys.masscomp proposed in
news.groups and comp.sys.masscomp to change the name to comp.sys.concurrent.
This was to reflect that masscomp no longer exists as such since it merged
with concurrent.

I received many responses saying to do it and don't bother with a vote since
it is a name change, not a new group.

At that time, I did send out rmgroup and newgroup to make that happen. For
some reason, the distribution mechanism failed and some parts of the country
did not get the change. I received mail from folks asking me if the newsgroup
was dead, etc. So, I decided to try the rmgroup/newgroup again.

Since many of you don't read the newsgroup, you are probably unaware of the
reasoning.
--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: {rutgers,mailrus}!bcm!sob   and Systems Support

" Maynard) (02/11/90)

In article <1990Feb9.200939.24813@sci.ccny.cuny.edu> dan@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Dan Schlitt) writes:
>In article <1990Feb9.174809.15759@vicom.com> lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair) writes:
>:In article <161@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@bcm.tmc.edu writes:
>:[[ ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ]]
>:I've received 6 of these, as well as three newgroups for comp.sys.concurrent.
>:Not a word of explanation.  What's going on here?
>I sent mail and got back an answer indicating complete indifference to
>the fact that he is flooding the world with these control messages.

sob@bcm.tmc.edu is Stan Barber, who's the UUCP Map Coordinator for
Texas. That doesn't sound like him. I don't know what's going on either,
but I'll try to find out.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (02/15/90)

In article <169@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:
|Some eight months ago, I as moderator of comp.sys.masscomp proposed in
|news.groups and comp.sys.masscomp to change the name to comp.sys.concurrent.
|This was to reflect that masscomp no longer exists as such since it merged
|with concurrent.
|
|I received many responses saying to do it and don't bother with a vote since
|it is a name change, not a new group.
|
|At that time, I did send out rmgroup and newgroup to make that happen. For
|some reason, the distribution mechanism failed and some parts of the country
|did not get the change. I received mail from folks asking me if the newsgroup
|was dead, etc. So, I decided to try the rmgroup/newgroup again.

	Probably B news sites ought to add the line

		"comp.sys.masscomp	comp.sys.concurrent"

	to your News "aliases" file, and C news sites
	do the analogous action in their "active" files.

--
  (__)	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
w \@@/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

mcb@presto.IG.COM (Michael C. Berch) (02/16/90)

In the referenced article, sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:
> Some eight months ago, I as moderator of comp.sys.masscomp proposed in
> news.groups and comp.sys.masscomp to change the name to comp.sys.concurrent.
> This was to reflect that masscomp no longer exists as such since it merged
> with concurrent.
>
> I received many responses saying to do it and don't bother with a vote since
> it is a name change, not a new group.
>
> At that time, I did send out rmgroup and newgroup to make that happen. For
> some reason, the distribution mechanism failed and some parts of the country
> did not get the change. I received mail from folks asking me if the newsgroup
> was dead, etc. So, I decided to try the rmgroup/newgroup again.

Thanks for the clarification.  The rmgroup message was shown as from
"bcm!usenet", which didn't ring a bell at all, so we tossed it,
figuring it was just some local site that messed up and leaked a
control message.  It might be useful to announce changes like this to
news.announce.newgroups (which many/most site admins read, I think).

I did notice that the mailpath backbone sites do know seem to know
about the new name yet, or at least the ones I checked (ames.arc.nasa.gov
and ucbvax.berkeley.edu).  So people trying to post to c.s.concurrent
are probably out of luck until this gets coordinated.  (I assume there
is a mailing list of sites that act as mailpath backbones.)

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@presto.ig.com / uunet!presto.ig.com!mcb / ames!bionet!mcb

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (02/20/90)

I'd like to second one of Michael Berch's comments about this whole
affair.  I believe the most important use of news.announce.newgroups
is to announce configuration changes such as the ones that Stan made.
news.announce.newgroups has a nice low volume, so that news
administrators (among others) can see what's happening in the
hierarchies without having to wade through the cruft in news.groups.
Of course, this presupposes that people will send me those changes.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@TURBO.BIO.NET]

mcb@presto.IG.COM (Michael C. Berch) (02/20/90)

In the referenced article, jba@harald.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) writes:
> > I sent mail and got back an answer indicating complete indifference to
> > the fact that he is flooding the world with these control messages.
>
> Should we begin to flood his/her's (sob@bmc.tmc.edu) mailbox for a change?

Please do not flame sob@bmc.tmc.edu (Stan Barber).  Besides being the
moderator of comp.sys.concurrent, he has made significant
contributions to the Usenet software (e.g., porting NNTP) and has been
an active, helpful Net citizen for a long time.

Stan posted an article explaining the masscomp-->concurrent newsgroup
name change and explained that it was gone over in the c.s.masscomp
newsgroup.  That article may not have reached your site yet.  I agree
that the rmgroup was somewhat confusing, especially since it issued
from "bmc!usenet" instead of (say) "sob@tmc.edu", but I think the
issue is sufficiently explained at this point (though there is still
the problem of the mailpaths backbone sites).

--

dan@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Dan Schlitt) (02/20/90)

In article <Feb.19.11.12.11.1990.1125@turbo.bio.net> lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) writes:
:I'd like to second one of Michael Berch's comments about this whole
:affair.  I believe the most important use of news.announce.newgroups
:is to announce configuration changes such as the ones that Stan made.
:news.announce.newgroups has a nice low volume, so that news
:administrators (among others) can see what's happening in the
:hierarchies without having to wade through the cruft in news.groups.
:Of course, this presupposes that people will send me those changes.
:--
:Eliot Lear
:[lear@TURBO.BIO.NET]

Absolutely!  I do group changes by hand.  I don't want random messages
from off-site changing my active file.  A message in
news.announce.newgroups would have explained things to my
satisfaction.  Even an explaination in the control message would have
done the job.  But why the multiple control messages?  If one doesn't
do the job why expect that three will do it better.