[news.admin] newgroup comp.periphs.scsi

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (02/24/90)

In article <941@tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:

> Control: newgroup comp.periphs.scsi

> The newgroup message did not arrive here - check your "junk" newsgroup.

It did not arrive at your site and most others because it was
newgrouped in a rather peculiar way that signals three fallacies
regarding Distribution: alt.

The first is that Distribution: works as you would expect it to.  It
doesn't.  There have been a few articles posted during the last few
months which describe the problems with the Distribution: header.  In
particular many sites will forward anything but their local distribution.

The second is that the distribution (presuming it indeed worked
correctly) of the newgroup would limit the distribution of subsequent
postings to the group.  It of course does not.  Any postings to
comp.periphs.scsi would go hither and yon to sites that got
comp.periphs, not just to those who got it and were on the altnet.  So
at many sites it ends up getting thrown away to junk or the bit-bucket.

The last is that admins who get alt must not mind it if the guidelines
are breached in other hierachies too.  For at least me, at least, this
is not true.  It is clearly a useful group and I decided to let this
second newgroup stand but I still object to the premature creation.

Dave
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))