[news.admin] Domain Charters

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell) (02/21/90)

Let me second the call for explicit domain charters.  A one-line
description hasn't been enough, it seems.

Would someone braver than me like to volunteer Chuq to write them?
{|8^)]

Jeff Daiell

--
         "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good ...
        Oh, Lord,  please don't let me be misunderstood!"

                              -- The Animals

karen@everexn.uucp (Karen Valentino) (02/24/90)

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell) writes:

>Let me second the call for explicit domain charters.  A one-line
>description hasn't been enough, it seems.

>Would someone braver than me like to volunteer Chuq to write them?
>{|8^)]

I'll second a motion to ask Chuq to write them, but I want to have some
say in the process, too.  I like having my fingers in the creation pie.

Where will these charters live?

Karen
--
   Karen Valentino  <>  Everex North (Everex Systems)  <>  Sebastopol, CA
       karen@everexn.uu.net      ..{apple, well}!fico2!everexn!karen

karen@everexn.uucp (Karen Valentino) writes:
>jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell) writes:

>>Let me second the call for explicit domain charters.  A one-line
>>description hasn't been enough, it seems.

>>Would someone braver than me like to volunteer Chuq to write them?
>>{|8^)]

>I'll second a motion to ask Chuq to write them, but I want to have some
>say in the process, too.  I like having my fingers in the creation pie.

Ahem. Actually, at this point I think I'd like to withdraw my name, for a
couple of reasons. One is time -- I have one story outline overdue for an
anthology and a second one due as soon as I finish the first [so why am I
spending all this time on the c.s.m reorg? If anyone comes up with a good
answer to that one, please let me know]. There's also Marowan, my
novel-that-hasn't-been-touched-since-Christmas.

Another is simply that, since there haven't been charters, many of the
domains are (to put it mildly) hodgepodges of things. Trying to come up with
a cogent definition of what they are will be almost impossible, and coming
up with a definition of what they should be will simply upset those who's
existing groups are excluded. I think it'd turn into a fairly fractious and
extended (but not necessarily successful) endeavor.

If you want formal charters, the best thing to do would be to seriously
consider a Great Renaming, where the entire namespace is rethought and stuff
Put In Its Place. That'll be a way to figure out what domains need to exist,
how to define them and what belongs in them, and would be the only want to
get a consensus opinion on things. Then all we'd need to do is implement it.

>Where will these charters live?

same place as the guidelines and stuff live: n.a.newusers and wherver else
that stuff gets posted these days.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

I don't know what's scarier: President Reagan saying he had no inkling of
his aides doing anything illegal, or an ex-president who uses the word inkling.