[news.admin] Language wars

wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) (03/22/90)

In article <XWD2FP7ficc@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In any case the forgery game is no longer funny (not that it ever was)... it's
>time to get back to serious stuff like language wars.

Yeah.

I have been coding in C a lot recently, mostly because Unix is married
to C.  Even with lint, ctags, make, lex, yacc, sccs, the man([23])
pages and all the other goodies C/Unix provides, I still prefer Modula-2.

Modula-2 provides a simple, clean, *useful* module interface through
definition modules and import/export.

My personal experience is that it is easier to integrate a new team member
into a project in M2 than in C, though ada is also pretty good in team
integration.

C is just too damn "hacky."  I've seen too much code like

If I want amazing efficiency I'll code in FORTH or assembler.