[news.admin] suggestion: news.software.c

smaug@eng.umd.edu (Kurt J. Lidl) (06/02/90)

henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>>>I think C news should have its own group.  Anyone?
>>
>>Yes, I agree, it's time or past time.  Most of the traffic here is
>>about C news any more.  I was just about to finally add it to my kill
>>file...
>
>How about a counter-proposal:  rename news.software.b to news.software.c?
>I'm sure we can put up with the occasional B News message -- there aren't
>enough of them to justify their own group. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
>(No, I'm not serious about this suggestion, although it's not ridiculous.)
>
>Actually, what I *would* suggest is renaming news.software.b to simply
>news.software, instead.  There really isn't enough traffic to justify
>splitting it.

I, on the other hand, would much rather see the newsgroups structured
a little more rationally.  (Call me silly!)  I can forsee the day when
there are more than just Bnews and Cnews as the major transport/relay
packages around.  Heck, I've even considered wrapping my own relay
software.  (Probably would have too, if Cnews hadn't come along last
year...) At any rate:

A proposal:

Move:   news.software.b		-> news.software.system.b
Create:				-> news.software.system.c
Move:	news.software.anu-news	-> news.software.system.anu-news
Move:	news.software.notes	-> news.software.system.notes
Move:	news.software.nn	-> news.software.readers.nn
Move:	news.software.nntp	-> news.software.transport.nntp

OK -- no doubt that some of this is merely a cosmetic change and has
no real point.  However, there is a clear distinction between the
system software and the transport software.  Getting Cnews running
with nntp is a different kettle of fish than getting Cnews running
with UUCP as the transport mechanism.

Cross-posting between related groups would be encouraged where
appropriate.  And, if it turns out there is not enough traffic in
news.software.system.c, Henry can always just feed it back into
news.software.system.b for his own peace of mind. :-)

I know that something like this has been suggested before, but I
don't remember by whom.  I would like to see a little commentary on
this, either here or by E-Mail.  Please consider this idea.  I think
it has a lot of possibilities, and deserves to be implemented.

(I can already see a few more newsgroups that might be worthy of this,
based on my private expectations of what will be happening in the next
6 months of in the news.* world of things:
news.software.transport.nntp2
news.software.readers.trn
But again, these are my own hope and dreams.)

							-Kurt
--
/* Kurt J. Lidl (smaug@eng.umd.edu) | Unix is the answer, but only if you */
/* UUCP: uunet!eng.umd.edu!smaug    | phrase the question very carefully. */

gary@dgcad.SV.DG.COM (Gary Bridgewater) (06/03/90)

Please don't split it!

The news.software region of the world plays to a pretty restricted
audience.   The problems of one group are often the problems of
another - and even when that isn't strictly true consider that
b-news and c-news sites are intermixed all across the feed chain.
A bug in one can be rapidly felt in the other.

Also, an innovation in one can be useful to the other - dbz, for instance,
is a big + for b-news sites,  especially those without dbm.

What would be gained by splitting them?  Most of us would just read both
groups.  Newcomers may not know the value of that and they might miss
important information posted in the "other" newsgroup.

If the ".b" part is off-putting to c-news sites then by all means let us
rename it generically to ease the annoyance.  As a, currently, b-news site
I could live with ".c" if it kept the group from splitting.
--
Gary Bridgewater, Data General Corporation, Sunnyvale California
gary@sv.dg.com or {amdahl,aeras,amdcad}!dgcad!gary