[news.admin] Expire Working???

cluther@supernet.harris-adacom.com (Clay Luther) (07/02/90)

I am wondering if Expire is working properly.  After having our feed up
for a little over a week, we are already running short of disk space,
relatively.  We started with 146MB, and are already down to 27MB.

Here is our explist:

# modified version, no archiving
#
# hold onto history lines 14 days, nobody gets >90 days
/expired/			x	14	-
/bounds/			x	0-1-90	-

# override later defaults for some groups of note
#sci.space.shuttle,rec.birds	x	7	-

# big non-tech groups held long enough for a long weekend
news,sci,rec,talk,soc,misc,alt	u	4	-

# real noise gets thrown away fast
news.groups			x	2	-
junk				x	2	-
gnu				x	2	-

# throw away some technical stuff not worth archiving
comp.mail.maps			x	4	-

# default:  7 days and archive
all				x	7	-

And here is our cron entry for news:

15 *	1-31 *	0-6	su news '/usr/lib/newsbin/input/newsrun'
30 8	1-31 *	1-5	su news '/usr/lib/newsbin/input/newsrunning off'
00 17	1-31 *	1-5	su news '/usr/lib/newsbin/input/newsrunning on'
40 *	1-31 *	0-6	su news '/usr/lib/newsbin/batch/sendbatches'
59 0	1-31 *	0-6	su news '/usr/lib/newsbin/expire/doexpire '
10 8	1-31 *	0-6	su news '/usr/lib/newsbin/maint/newsdaily'
00 5,13,21	1-31 *	0-6	su news '/usr/lib/newsbin/maint/newswatch'

Thanks for any help.

(Please do *not* reply to harris-adacom.com domain.  Use uucp or gateway.)

--
Clay Luther                       ..uunet!iex!supernet!cluther
Usenet Administrator              supernet!cluther%iex.uucp@dept.csci.unt.edu

In article <1990Jul1.203051.15428@supernet.harris-adacom.com> cluther@supernet.harris-adacom.com (Clay Luther) writes:
>I am wondering if Expire is working properly.  After having our feed up
>for a little over a week, we are already running short of disk space,
>relatively.  We started with 146MB, and are already down to 27MB...

Sounds like you need to investigate.  I don't see anything obviously wrong
with the control files you supplied.  Try scheduling an expire run for
sometime during the day and watching what happens.  Also, I trust someone
is *reading* the NEWSMASTER mailbox?
--
"Either NFS must be scrapped or NFS    | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
must be changed."  -John K. Ousterhout |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (07/04/90)

cluther@supernet.harris-adacom.com (Clay Luther) writes:

>I am wondering if Expire is working properly.  After having our feed up
>for a little over a week, we are already running short of disk space,
>relatively.  We started with 146MB, and are already down to 27MB.

After running with cnews for the last month - I've noticed the same thing.

After doing some quick checking, I've noticed messages in groups like
alt.sys.amiga with expire dates in them 60 days in the future - so
I am assuming the problem is related to these types of messages..

            uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry  -or-  larry@nstar
 Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-3745 / lots of files & free PEP feeds!

stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) (07/06/90)

Perhaps you should change your crontab entries to:

su news -c '/usr/lib/newsbin/expire/doexpire -v'
       ^^^^
--
Michael V. Pelletier            | "We live our lives with our hands on the
 CAEN UseNet News Administrator |  rear-view mirror, striving to get a better

root@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (0000-Admin(0000)) (07/07/90)

In article <1990Jul5.193948.13335@caen.engin.umich.edu> stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:

>Perhaps you should change your crontab entries to:
>
>su news -c '/usr/lib/newsbin/expire/doexpire -v'
>       ^^^^
That depends upon where the crontab entires are located.  I naively put mine
in a news crontab and removed all the "su news -c" parts.  Should I have placed
it in some other crontab say root?  I am also getting articles hanging around
that should have been cleared out, especialy in junk.

In article <1990Jul6.180532.24641@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil> root@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (0000-Admin(0000)) writes:
>That depends upon where the crontab entires are located.  I naively put mine
>in a news crontab and removed all the "su news -c" parts.  Should I have placed
>it in some other crontab say root? ...

With the exception of setnewsids (an auxiliary to relaynews, needed if your
system cannot do setuid(geteuid())), nothing in C News needs to run as root.