[news.admin] Imagine if you couldn't use compress any more

nhess@gumby.us.oracle.com (Nate Hess) (07/31/90)

In article <&F5$J3^@masalla.fulcrum.bt.co.uk>, I.G.Batten@fulcrum (Ian G Batten) writes:
>brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>> If you have such a big problem, write your own program.  There are
>> algorithms that compress more, you know.  Although few do it as quickly.

>Yes, but how would we know if it was patented?  If I set down with my
>collegues and confect a compression (or whatever) algorithm, and then
>implement it, and then distribute it, what protection do I have?

Well, you could always sit down, write up your new, wild'n'wooly
compression algorithm, run off and patent it, and then never take legal
recourse against "patent violaters."

--woodstock
--
	   "What I like is when you're looking and thinking and looking
	   and thinking...and suddenly you wake up."   - Hobbes

nhess@oracle.com or ...!uunet!oracle!nhess or (415) 598-3046