[news.admin] Duplicate postings coming from one of following

richard@locus.com (Richard M. Mathews) (09/13/90)

vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) writes:
>We seem to have a site out there that is changing message ids and sending
>them back out.  Examination of the appended headers narrows it down to the
>following sites:

>mips, prls, pyramid, decwrl

>Please fix this guys, it is a trifle annoying.

>Article: 4031 of rec.arts.sf-lovers

>Article: 4059 of rec.arts.sf-lovers

One of these sites (or someone near them) seems to be messing up 0x10 and
0x40 bits in miscellaneous bytes.  Besides bad Message-IDs, I've seen a
few almost impossible to read postings.  I've seen one which changed
	<4408@optilink.UUCP>
into
	<4408@optilink.UUC@>
The second "@" confuses everything enough that C News keeps accepting
the same message over and over again even the the (bugus) Message-ID
is the same every time.  The latter Message-ID shows up in my history
file 16 times, but "newshist" doesn't find it at all.

Richard M. Mathews
Locus Computing Corporation
richard@locus.com
lcc!richard@seas.ucla.edu
...!{uunet|ucla-se|turnkey}!lcc!richard

In article <richard.653205234@fafnir.la.locus.com> richard@locus.com (Richard M. Mathews) writes:
>The second "@" confuses everything enough that C News keeps accepting
>the same message over and over again even the the (bugus) Message-ID
>is the same every time...

Fixed in this month's patches.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry