[news.admin] Bogus control -- need I do anything?

tih@barsoom.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) (09/13/90)

OK, so this batch of news just came in, with the following message in it:

> From: Donotello@teenage.mutant.ninja.turtles.home
> Newsgroups: news.misc.ctl
> Subject: morons R us
> Date: 10 Sep 90 12:00:00 GMT
> Sender: news@milton.u.washington.edu
> Cancel: <1000Sep99.000000.0000@teenage.mutant.ninja.turtles.home>

Cnews barfed on it, and logged an error.  It didn't find an executable
"morons" in its ctl directory (naturally), and it proceeded to leave the
whole batch file in the /usr/spool/news/in.coming/bad directory.

I'm new to Cnews, and the documentation isn't too detailed...  Since this
is obviously a forgery (and seemingly a pretty poor one at that), am I
right in assuming that no damage has been done, and I can simply ignore it?

Comments appreciated!

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, NHH, Bergen, Norway.  Telephone: +47-5-959205
tih@barsoom.nhh.no, thelbekk@norunit.bitnet, edb_tom@debet.nhh.no

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu (09/13/90)

tih@barsoom.nhh.no writes:
   > Cancel: <1000Sep99.000000.0000@teenage.mutant.ninja.turtles.home>
   Cnews barfed on it, and logged an error....

Yeah, I was slightly fumble-fingered there.  Whoops, and all that.

In article <1990Sep12.180429.4305@barsoom.nhh.no> tih@barsoom.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) writes:
>I'm new to Cnews, and the documentation isn't too detailed...  Since this
>is obviously a forgery (and seemingly a pretty poor one at that), am I
>right in assuming that no damage has been done, and I can simply ignore it?

Correct.  The only negative effect is the batch file cluttering up "bad",
and even that will go away in a few days if you're running our standard
housekeeping stuff.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

wolfgang@wsrcc (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) (09/14/90)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1990Sep12.180429.4305@barsoom.nhh.no> tih@barsoom.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) writes:
>>I'm new to Cnews, and the documentation isn't too detailed...  Since this
>>is obviously a forgery (and seemingly a pretty poor one at that), am I
>>right in assuming that no damage has been done, and I can simply ignore it?
>Correct.  The only negative effect is the batch file cluttering up "bad",
>and even that will go away in a few days if you're running our standard
>housekeeping stuff.

Does the batch really need to be junked?  I just fed it to newsrun
again.  Was this superfluous or would the articles after the bad
control msg in the batch have been lost?

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    uunet!{nancy,usaos,media!ka3ovk}!wsrcc!wolfgang
Snail Mail Address:   Box 6524, Alexandria, VA 22306-0524

In article <1990Sep14.014042.17586@wsrcc> wolfgang@wsrcc (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) writes:
>>... The only negative effect is the batch file cluttering up "bad",
>>and even that will go away in a few days...
>
>Does the batch really need to be junked?  I just fed it to newsrun
>again.  Was this superfluous or would the articles after the bad
>control msg in the batch have been lost?

It was superfluous; for this sort of error, everything gets processed,
including the offending article.  Some other classes of errors, like
decompression problems, can spoil a whole batch, so keeping the whole
thing around for investigation is generally a wise idea.  (It is also
complicated and difficult to keep only *part* of it around, and simple
and easy to save the whole thing.)

It is possible that some classes of problem, like bad control messages,
will be "decriminalized" :-) so that they produce a message in errlog
but don't get flagged as serious trouble justifying saving the batch.
--

dave@compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) (09/18/90)

                     --------------------------------
Now HERE's a dead givaway--------^

> > Subject: morons R us

Yep, they sure are...

WOW! Now THAT'S an interesting ID.. Musta used pi for the key..

> > Sender: news@milton.u.washington.edu

This looks like the only legit thing in the whole header.

Intelligence: 0

> > Cancel: <1000Sep99.000000.0000@teenage.mutant.ninja.turtles.home>

Yeah..... Right....

> I'm new to Cnews, and the documentation isn't too detailed...  Since this
> is obviously a forgery (and seemingly a pretty poor one at that), am I
> right in assuming that no damage has been done, and I can simply ignore it?

Frame it and hang it on the wall. It's worthless for anything else. That's
why Cnews kicked it out and let you know about it. My Bnews did the same
thing.

> Comments appreciated!

Well, BIFF is back and now this.... Can alt.swedish.chef.bork.bork.bork be far
behind? Kiddies are back at the old .edu machines again....

> -tih
> --
> Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, NHH, Bergen, Norway.  Telephone: +47-5-959205
> tih@barsoom.nhh.no, thelbekk@norunit.bitnet, edb_tom@debet.nhh.no

       *>> Dave <<*

: uunet!rutgers!psuvax1!eds1!wa3wbu!compnect!dave   | The Data Factory BBS  :
: uunet!wa3wbu!compnect!dave                        |    (717)657-4997      :
: dave@compnect.uucp or compnect!dave@uunet.UU.NET  |    (717)657-4992      :