[news.admin] C News drops unapproved postings

lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair) (10/28/90)

In article <1990Oct26.165109.29072@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
=In article <89668@aerospace.AERO.ORG> obrien@aero.aero.org (Michael O'Brien) writes:
=>There is only one set of meaningful questions to be asked: What happens
=>when one site marks a group as unmoderated and feeds articles to a site
=>that has it marked as moderated?  Do such messages become accepted, and
=>fed to the remainder of the net?  What happens under B News?  C News?
=
=Under C News, the message is dropped on the floor, with a log message.
=I believe B News attempts to mail it to the moderator, a behavior which
=has not endeared itself to moderators.

While I have sympathy for moderators, I'm not entirely happy with the C
News approach.  If a site has a group set wrong, which is easy nowadays,
and all of their connections use C News, postings will disappear silently.
Perhaps there is a better solution.  One could be to mail a warning to the
poster.  Any other ideas?

--
Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb@vicom.com

In article <1990Oct28.002345.11093@vicom.com> lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair) writes:
>=I believe B News attempts to mail it to the moderator, a behavior which
>=has not endeared itself to moderators.
>
>While I have sympathy for moderators, I'm not entirely happy with the C
>News approach.  If a site has a group set wrong, which is easy nowadays,
>and all of their connections use C News, postings will disappear silently.
>Perhaps there is a better solution.  One could be to mail a warning to the
>poster.  Any other ideas?

The problem with *any* scheme involving automatic mail sending from a remote
site is that a simple mistake can deluge an innocent user -- often not the
person responsible for the foulup -- with mail from everywhere.

A better solution *would* be nice.
--
The type syntax for C is essentially   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
unparsable.             --Rob Pike     |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

liz@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Liz Allen) (11/01/90)

lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair) writes:

>While I have sympathy for moderators, I'm not entirely happy with the C
>News approach.  If a site has a group set wrong, which is easy nowadays,
>and all of their connections use C News, postings will disappear silently.
>Perhaps there is a better solution.  One could be to mail a warning to the
>poster.  Any other ideas?

I gave this some thought after having some problems on grian.

I think the best approach is to look at the length of the path and
mail articles only if it is short -- say less than 1-2 hosts.  This
would limit the number of forwarded articles while insuring that at
least one copy got out.
--
		- Liz Allen	liz@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us
				ames!elroy!grian!liz

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (11/01/90)

I must applaud C news for doing what I think is the correct thing with
unapproved new articles in moderated newsgroups.  If you're ever in
the position of maintaining a mailing list which is gatewayed to a
USENET newsgroup, this is the friendly thing to do.

When the comp.protocols.time.ntp newsgroup was created, it was
un-moderated.  Unfortunately, an incorrect checkgroups message
followed a few days later with the group marked as moderated, and with
the mailing list address listed as the moderator's address.  Chaos
ensued, with articles looping and appearing on the mailing list over
and over again.  If B news had the same behavior, then the brokeness
caused by the incorrect checkgroups would not have been so.. painful.

louie