[news.admin] Internet/NSFNet proposal to be run by IBM -- call to action!

This is a call to action by all interested parties.

There is wind of a proposal stirring in Washington that would place the
NSFNet backbone, and eventually the entire government-run part of the
Internet, into the hands of IBM.

IBM has supposedly pledged to run this on a non-profit basis for some
number of years.   Of course, the number that's being bandied about is
small, like "2".....

Anyone want to bet how long the Internet remains accessible to non-IBM
people?  Or whether the Internet ends up another Prodidy, with active
censorship?  Whether you'll have to buy an IBM system to hook into it,
since they might decide that TCP/IP is no longer any good and now it's
time to go to SNA or worse?

Folks, if you love the Internet, and want to see it expand and grow, we need
to insure that a few things happen:

1) 	The "acceptable use" policy on the NSFNet needs to be scrapped.
	Sure, this will bring problems.  But it will also mean that
	commercial companies can tie in, pay their fair share, and make sure
	that the network capacity has the funding to continue to grow.

2)	The backbone needs to be run as a regulated commodity.  Perhaps even
	run by the Government, strange as that may seem.  The goal of
	universal connectivity is not that far off right now, but there are
	companies and special interests who would like to see that never
	happen.  We MUST insure that it does.

3)	We must maintain and increase our lead as the information-processing
	leader in the world.  It's the only area of superiority that we have
	left in world markets.  A universally-accessible Internet is one way
	to achieve this goal.  Face it, the "bright minds" aren't all in
	colleges or doing business with schools or the government.  Many are
	in private industry or independant, and they should have access to
	this resource as well.

4)	Finally, a freely accessible information exchange medium may be the
	second-best guarantee of freedom in this country (the first being
	the ability of the people to depose a despotic government).  By
	keeping the passing of information from coast to coast available,
	fast and cheap, we keep the people informed.

How to proceed:
	1)	A tax on access devices for the network may be the best
		way to fund it.  I'm not sure about this, but it seems as
		though a "user fee" is one of the better ways to pay for the
		connectivity that we all enjoy and want to see furthered.

	2)	General subsidy isn't a bad idea either, but it's not ideal.
		Selling it to the general public will be difficult,
		especially with the things that hit the press now and again
		about X-rated GIF sites and the like.

	3)	Keep control in the hands of the many, or in the hands of a
		non-profit corporation funded EXCLUSIVELY to run this beast.
		Giving it to IBM or another pseudo-government company is as
		good as letting the fox loose in the henhouse -- the
		potential for abuse and profiteering is just too great to
		ignore.

Get involved NOW folks.  I didn't know about this until last night, and it
knocked my socks off.  People I've talked to think this is a universally bad
thing, but they don't know how to stop it.  I suggest that a million loud
voices would have a significant impact.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (10/29/90)

Karl, there is a *much* simpler solution. Scrap NSFNet. We don't need it. T1
and 64K DDS lines are ***cheap*** these days, so cheap that UUNet can build
a truly commercial TCP/IP service, give excellent service, and charge less
than $2000/month for it.

NSFNet is the government's network. Let them have it for anyone who wants to
live under the government's terms and conditions. Just as the Europeans are
throwing off the yokes of their PTTs, it's time for us to throw off the yoke
of state-sponsored communications networks, and start building our own.

<csg>

pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) (10/29/90)

karl@mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
|There is wind of a proposal stirring in Washington that would place the
|NSFNet backbone, and eventually the entire government-run part of the
|Internet, into the hands of IBM.

people who are *really* concerned about this should first subscribe to,
and get the archives of, the commercialization/privitization mailing
list (com-priv-requests@psi.com).  this plan is generally well known
in the networking community and while there is no clear consensus i
don't think the degree of alarm displayed by the previous posting is
necessary.  in any event com-priv is an excellent place to move this
discussion since many of the movers and shakers are active there.

--
pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!pjg / pjg@ubvms (Bitnet)
opinions found above are mine unless marked otherwise.

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. DeArmond) (10/29/90)

karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

>This is a call to action by all interested parties.

>There is wind of a proposal stirring in Washington that would place the
>NSFNet backbone, and eventually the entire government-run part of the
>Internet, into the hands of IBM.

This is part of the disgusting Senator from my home state, Albert Gore,
Sr as part of his supernet that will cure all the nation's technology
ills, make is a world competator and brush our teeth, all in one
fell swoop.

He is being "assisted" by that "gentleman" we've all come to know
and loathe, (bob?) Abernathy of the Houston Chronicle.  Remember
the Great Internet Smut Controversy of 1990. Yep, same guy.
He posted to a mailing list the articles he wrote for the paper on the
subject.  I didn't keep an archive copy but here's what I remember:

IBM and >>> Compuserv <<< have steped forward and volunteered to sink
about 10 million into the management effort.

They are proposing to institute a "user fee" schedule based on
the quantity of data transmitted.

BUT they still propose to keep the network "closed" and only available
to those who have a "need" to be on there.

In other words, enjoy the Internet while it lasts because will soon
become a mutant offspring of an incestuous inbreeding of IBM, Compuserv,
and the government.  Can you imagine an ftp session that is billed by
the hour and by the bytes transfered all the while, advertisements
scroll across the screen?  No smileys.

As is typical of Gore, he proposed to dump buckets of money into the
project and create a backbone of gigabit-per-second links that no one
but the government could afford to interface to.  He calls upon those
old worn phrases of motherhood, apple pie, and another Apollo-like mission
to the moon of networks.

The articles that Abernathy writes glow so from yellow journalism that
I feel that I need my cobalt glasses just to read them.  Even as
he promotes this grandois scheme, he executes a perfect self-pat-on-the
back by noting that a "controversy" has grown out of the exclusive
investigative article by the Chronicle.  Then he uses the previous
dose of yellow to justify a "remedy".  And we know how the Democrats
"remedy" a problem.  At least our wallets do.  Perhaps someone else on the
list will post a couple of Abernathy's articles.

What to do?  As usual, make noise.  Lobby for incremental funding to
handle the growth of the internet, incremental funding for higher
speed technologies and the creation of a mechanism for commercial users with
research as opposed to business need to get on the net.  Lobby for the
congress to do that but otherwise leave what works alone.

And hey, if anyone out there has enough money to buy a congresslime, then
please do so.

(and just in case Abernathy wants to quote me out of context.) This
article is copyright 1990 John De Armond.  All rights reserved.
No journalistic use whatsoever permitted.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC  | "The truly ignorant in our society are those people
Radiation Systems, Inc. | who would throw away the parts of the Constitution

palowoda@fiver (Bob Palowoda) (10/29/90)

From article <1990Oct28.220432.521@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, by karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger):
> This is a call to action by all interested parties.
>
> There is wind of a proposal stirring in Washington that would place the
> NSFNet backbone, and eventually the entire government-run part of the
> Internet, into the hands of IBM.

  This is a very bad idea. For one the Internet, NFSFNet, and all the
other local networks stand for something opposite of the corporate
sturctures. Don't get me wrong I think IBM is a good company but they
do not have a policy for controling goverment resources.

> IBM has supposedly pledged to run this on a non-profit basis for some
> number of years.   Of course, the number that's being bandied about is
> small, like "2".....

  If what you mean by "run" as in IBM runs the networks. NO this cannot
do. If they want to help why not give cash or equiptment donations to
NSFNet just as any other large corporation (i.e. Xerox) would give
to a public broadcasting station.

> Anyone want to bet how long the Internet remains accessible to non-IBM
> people?

 I believe IBM has thier own network(s).

> Or whether the Internet ends up another Prodidy, with active
> censorship?

  This also brings up a point of conflict in interest.

> 	3)	Keep control in the hands of the many, or in the hands of a
> 		non-profit corporation funded EXCLUSIVELY to run this beast.
> 		Giving it to IBM or another pseudo-government company is as
> 		good as letting the fox loose in the henhouse -- the
> 		potential for abuse and profiteering is just too great to
> 		ignore.

 I agree 100 percent.

> Get involved NOW folks.  I didn't know about this until last night, and it
> knocked my socks off.  People I've talked to think this is a universally bad
> thing, but they don't know how to stop it.  I suggest that a million loud
> voices would have a significant impact.

  Is there any goverment email address we can write to about this?

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda@fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (10/29/90)

karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

}This is a call to action by all interested parties.

}There is wind of a proposal stirring in Washington that would place the
}NSFNet backbone, and eventually the entire government-run part of the
}Internet, into the hands of IBM.

..

}Anyone want to bet how long the Internet remains accessible to non-IBM
}people?

I'll take that bet --- I suspect this would never happen.

]Or whether the Internet ends up another Prodidy, with active
}censorship?

This is a possibility, but 'censorship' is a bit strong here.  Fact is
that we're using the network's comm resources for purposes quite a bit
beyond the intent of the folks who chartered the thing.  This is,
sooner or later, going to come to a head: either the screws will be
tightened, restricting the network to its narrowly-defined actual
purposes [the case that you fear], or else some set of folk will manage
to get the 'powers-that-be' [actually it is the 'powers-that-pay'] to
acknowlegd the utility of the network in its broader uses.

I, actually, think that the latter is fairly unlikely: as the gov't
financial world gets more constrained, it will prove harder and harder
to defend the somewhat amorphous 'general good' served by running the
communications service, especially in the face of _concrete_ research
projects having to be discontinued for lack of funds.

Whether you'll have to buy an IBM system to hook into it,
}since they might decide that TCP/IP is no longer any good and now it's
}time to go to SNA or worse?

This is spectacularly unlikely.  If anything, TCP/IP will be abandoned
in favor of ISO stacks, but even that is not going to happen any time
soon.

}Folks, if you love the Internet, and want to see it expand and grow, we need
}to insure that a few things happen:

}1) 	The "acceptable use" policy on the NSFNet needs to be scrapped.
}	Sure, this will bring problems.  But it will also mean that
}	commercial companies can tie in, pay their fair share, and make sure
}	that the network capacity has the funding to continue to grow.

What would you replace the policy with?  I think that the NSF charter
constrains their budget to be used as grants to further research.  I'd
bet that they can divert funds to running a communications service only
as long as such a service more-or-less directly supports their research
mandate.  [I know that we had such a problem with ARPANET funding, way
back when: when it became obvious that the ARPANET, per se, had become
a communications service and not a subject of research in and of itself
[indeed, if we did any real messing-around with the ARPANET we got
near-instantaneous complaints from all over the world! :-)], ARPA got
unhappy about funding it for precisely those two reasons: (1) it was
beyond ARPA's mandate, and so would not withstand Congressional
scrutiny, and (2) it preempted funds from other (real) research
projects.  The result was that the ARPANET operation was transferred to
DCA,a nd eventually resulted in the ARPANET being decommitted entirely
[the argument being that that sort of general comm facility was not an
appropriate activity for the gov't to be running]

}2)	The backbone needs to be run as a regulated commodity.  Perhaps even
}	run by the Government, strange as that may seem.  The goal of
}	universal connectivity is not that far off right now, but there are
}	companies and special interests who would like to see that never
}	happen.  We MUST insure that it does.

I think you'll have a VERY hard time making a really rational case for
this.  There are commercial alternatives to the gov't-subsidized
internet, and one might argue that there might well be more of 'em, and
they'd be more economical, if the gov't weren't gigantically perturbing
the market by making so much capacity available 'for free' [that is,
'paid for by someone else'].  The easiest way to achieve your goal [of
universial connectivity] is to be exploring ways to PAY for the sort of
communications services you envision, rather than just thumping the
drum that the gov't should provide it.

}4)	Finally, a freely accessible information exchange medium may be the
}	second-best guarantee of freedom in this country (the first being
}	the ability of the people to depose a despotic government).  By
}	keeping the passing of information from coast to coast available,
}	fast and cheap, we keep the people informed.

Granted.  The only debate is the perennial one: WHO SHOULD PAY.  Why not
argue for a self-supporting communications service, instead of a
taxpayer-supported one.  The problem with the gov't-run solution is the
obvious ones that crop up whenever you let the gov't run stuff:
    1) if they pay for it, they'll expect to have some say about what it is
       used for.
    2) if they pay for it, they'll make blanket rules about how it is glued
       together
The problem with (2) is that (via the taxes we pay) we're all going to have
to subsidize this communications facility even if it doesn't serve our
purposes.  As for (1), one need only look at the 55mph stuff and the DFWF
extortion programs to see how overall nasty it can be to suckle at the
gov't's teat.

}	1)	A tax on access devices for the network may be the best
}		way to fund it.  I'm not sure about this, but it seems as
}		though a "user fee" is one of the better ways to pay for the
}		connectivity that we all enjoy and want to see furthered.

If this is adequate to PAY for the network [I cannot imagine that it is ---
do you have any clue how expensive the operating costs for something like
this is?], why not simply have it be privately operated?  Then the gov'ts
opinion on what the net does, and what people send over it, becomes
irrelevant.

}	2)	General subsidy isn't a bad idea either, but it's not ideal.
}		Selling it to the general public will be difficult,
}		especially with the things that hit the press now and again
}		about X-rated GIF sites and the like.

Bingo.

}	3)	Keep control in the hands of the many, or in the hands of a
}		non-profit corporation funded EXCLUSIVELY to run this beast.
}		Giving it to IBM or another pseudo-government company is as
}		good as letting the fox loose in the henhouse -- the
}		potential for abuse and profiteering is just too great to
}		ignore.

Perhaps.  Going back to your original 'the sky is falling' cry, you
only say "... into the hands of IBM".  What does that mean?  In the
past, in the various networks that have contracted out to be 'run'
[including the long-standing contract from ARPA, and later DCA, to BBN
to operate the ARPANET and the MILNET, and one from NSF to operate the
old CSNET] have been quite clear as to the responsibilites and
prerogatives of the operations-entity.  I cannot believe that NSF
either would want, or would be legally allowed, to turn over the policy
and planning of the NFSnet to IBM: the purpose of the network would
still be as it was [to serve NSF's research interests] and only the NSF
can evaluate and balance those purposes.

It feels to me that you're doing two things here, neither of which
serves us well: first is blowing the "danger" all out of proportion.
Second, I think you're vastly underestimating just how much it costs to
run one of these things. [and so you're being a bit cavalier at just
how easy it would be to find enough money to make this 'non profit
corp' to actually be able to pay its bills].

Instead of pushing for MORE gov't involvement in usenet, what is wrong
with pushing for LESS: how about we eschew those 'free' govt-supplied
links [which we really, probably, oughtn't have been using for rec.pets
in the first place] and instead push to have more "pay for play"
links?  If we make our own communications arrangments [which could
include using Telenet, or even, as you suggest, starting some kind of
non-profit corp to provide some kind of backbone facilities], in
addition to getting the connectivity you want, we have two BIG other
advantages: (1) we don't have to keep groveling before Congress for
funds, and (2) we don't have to duck reporters.

  /Bernie\

cluther@supernet.haus.com (Clay Luther) (10/30/90)

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:

>Karl, there is a *much* simpler solution. Scrap NSFNet. We don't need it. T1
>and 64K DDS lines are ***cheap*** these days, so cheap that UUNet can build
>a truly commercial TCP/IP service, give excellent service, and charge less
>than $2000/month for it.

><csg>

Since when was $2000/month cheap?  This is more than most people in the US
make in a month!  $2000/month is in no way cheap, with triple astericks.  It
is well out of the reach of the common man and beyond the means of many small
companies that would profit greatly by having internet access.

Internet will not be cheap until it drops to say, $100/month, or less.

--
Clay Luther, Postmaster          cluther@supernet.haus.com
  postmaster@supernet.haus.com   clay.luther@supernet.haus.com

schoff@uu.psi.com (Martin Schoffstall) (10/30/90)

I don't think that eveyone needs to scrap the NSFNet right now, especially
since it is free.  What we need to consider are several levels of
service/capabilities/restrictions in the US and Internationally.

For those organizations willing to abide by the restrictions let them
have the academic regionals and NSFNet.  For those who don't let
them leave and migrated to TYMNET, TELENET, ALTERNET, PSINET, and XYZNet.

Of course in october 92 when the NSFNet funding is finished there will
probably be even more choices.  Because as a good friend of mine said
once:  who can compete with free?

Marty
------------------

>Karl, there is a *much* simpler solution. Scrap NSFNet. We don't need it. T1
>and 64K DDS lines are ***cheap*** these days, so cheap that UUNet can build
>a truly commercial TCP/IP service, give excellent service, and charge less
>than $2000/month for it.
>
>NSFNet is the government's network. Let them have it for anyone who wants to
>live under the government's terms and conditions. Just as the Europeans are
>throwing off the yokes of their PTTs, it's time for us to throw off the yoke
>of state-sponsored communications networks, and start building our own.

schoff@uu.psi.com (Martin Schoffstall) (10/30/90)

>  Is there any goverment email address we can write to about this?
>
>---Bob

You can start with steve@note.nsf.gov who is responsible for
"infrastructure", but as pointed out in another posting, com-priv@psi.com
is where this is being discussed in depth, and both the government
and the participants are all at least watching.

Marty

dricejb@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson drilex1) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct28.220432.521@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>This is a call to action by all interested parties.
>
>There is wind of a proposal stirring in Washington that would place the
>NSFNet backbone, and eventually the entire government-run part of the
>Internet, into the hands of IBM.

It would seem to me, in the absence of *much* more detailed information,
that this is just so much conspiracy theory.

>Anyone want to bet how long the Internet remains accessible to non-IBM
>people?  Or whether the Internet ends up another Prodidy, with active
>censorship?  Whether you'll have to buy an IBM system to hook into it,
>since they might decide that TCP/IP is no longer any good and now it's
>time to go to SNA or worse?

Assuming that IBM has made such a proposal, why should they spend money
to turn something working in to something that doesn't work?  Not that
I think that IBM has turned out many good products over the years, but
they don't exist solely to torture computer programmers--they're actually
trying to make a buck.  Quite a few, in fact.

The principal reason why IBM would volunteer to run the NFSNet, etc would
be to enhance their standing in the academic technical community.  This
would encourage them to do a good job--the 'net' community is not one
that is easily swayed by appealing to a CEO or two.

<Karl goes on to propose that the net be turned into a government thing,
paid for like roads.  Let's hope nobody gets to send their packets over
the Mianus River bridge.>

>Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
>Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]
>Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.   "Quality Solutions at a Fair Price"

P.S. I know people who love Prodigy--just because it can give them
a stock quote quickly.  As for the active censorship, it seems from
reports that they are a bit touchy about criticism.  However, any company
with "deep pockets" who does not actively censor a bbs service is
a bunch of fools--there are simply too many people willing to file
a civil suit or criminal charges over all sorts of nonsense.
--
Craig Jackson
dricejb@drilex.dri.mgh.com

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (10/31/90)

Clay Luther <cluther@supernet.haus.com> writes:

	Since when was $2000/month cheap?

Since when have you priced Internet access?

PSI charges $60k/year for T1.

I'm sure most of the other ones are similar.

/jordan

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (10/31/90)

>I don't think that eveyone needs to scrap the NSFNet right now, especially
>since it is free.

Beg yer pardon? That's for Universities. Doesn't NSFNet charge something like
$5000/month just in fees, not including network equipment costs?

<csg>

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (10/31/90)

>Since when was $2000/month cheap?

We were talking about NFSNet. Your "common man" can't connect to it at all.
If you're talking about 1.544Mbps worldwide TCP/IP connections, with routing,
nameservice, and network administration all done for you, $2000 per month is
very cheap. And the price will continue to drop.

On-the-order-of $100 per month Internet access is out there, too. Isn't that
what PSI is doing? But you aren't going to support a supercomputer or several
hundred sessions off that.

<csg>

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct29.205244.2051@supernet.haus.com> cluther@supernet.haus.com (Clay Luther) writes:
>csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>
>>and 64K DDS lines are ***cheap*** these days, so cheap that UUNet can build
>>a truly commercial TCP/IP service, give excellent service, and charge less
>>than $2000/month for it.
>Internet will not be cheap until it drops to say, $100/month, or less.

	Well I don't know when the price will drop to $100/month, but you
can get Internet access at $250/month, which isn't bad.  We here at Search
are planning to join the Internet through PSINet.  They charge $250/month
for dialup SLIP, I think eventually they'll have ISO once it is stable.

	With a NetBlazer at your sight, it is almost as good as a dedicated
line connection.

	As time goes by the prices of the hardware will drop an maybe we'll
reach the $100/month mark.

---
Michael R. Almond                                  mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				        emory!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                         (404) 441-1457 (office)
.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'. Georgia Tech Alumnus .'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. DeArmond) (10/31/90)

dricejb@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson drilex1) writes:

>It would seem to me, in the absence of *much* more detailed information,
>that this is just so much conspiracy theory.

Well Senate Bill 1976 may be a conspiracy but is a damn threatening one.
Read my previous post to see how theory is reduced to practice.

>Assuming that IBM has made such a proposal, why should they spend money
>to turn something working in to something that doesn't work?

You ever used IBM products?  If you have, how can you ask that question?

>they're actually trying to make a buck.  Quite a few, in fact.

Precicely.  Which has NOTHING to do with our being able to actually
USE what they provide for us.  Witness, the PC Jr.  Or any Series/1.
Etc.

>The principal reason why IBM would volunteer to run the NFSNet, etc would
>be to enhance their standing in the academic technical community.

No, according to IBM's news release, they will be in it along with
Compu$erve and McGraw-Hill and others STRICTLY to make a buck.

><Karl goes on to propose that the net be turned into a government thing,
>paid for like roads.  Let's hope nobody gets to send their packets over
>the Mianus River bridge.>

No, I hope the net turns into something like the Interstate system here
in Atlanta.  Here, the goverment (more or less) builds enough roads
to keep up with growth.  I can hit I-75 (a 10 lane interstate), get
onto the perimeter I-285 (another 10 lane interstate) and be 30 miles
across town in not much more than 30 minutes.  Yes, it does congest
during times of high usage but it is also one of the main fuelers
of growth in the metro area.  A properly designed and managed FREE
data highway could do the same thing on a national basis.

John

--

e85rw@efd.lth.se (Ricard Wolf) (10/31/90)

In article <4562@rsiatl.UUCP> jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. DeArmond) writes:
>>Assuming that IBM has made such a proposal, why should they spend money
>>to turn something working in to something that doesn't work?
>
>You ever used IBM products?  If you have, how can you ask that question?
:-) :-) :-)

>>they're actually trying to make a buck.  Quite a few, in fact.
>
>Precicely.  Which has NOTHING to do with our being able to actually
>USE what they provide for us.  Witness, the PC Jr.  Or any Series/1.
>Etc.
>
>>The principal reason why IBM would volunteer to run the NFSNet, etc would
>>be to enhance their standing in the academic technical community.
>
>No, according to IBM's news release, they will be in it along with
>Compu$erve and McGraw-Hill and others STRICTLY to make a buck.
EXACTLY!!!!! Please remember that IBM is not interested in making
anything else but money! If the machine works, it's an added bonus, but not
really part of the specification :-) :-). If they could have made money
marketing peas they would have done so ("oh, you want a container to transport
the peas home in? well that is an optional extra").

--
Ricard Wolf

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Ricard Wolf              | Lund Institute of Technology        |
| email: e85rw@efd.lth.se  | If you can't buy 'em - build 'em !! |
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------+

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.081304.14531@lth.se>, e85rw@efd.lth.se (Ricard Wolf)
writes:
> EXACTLY!!!!! Please remember that IBM is not interested in making
> anything else but money! If the machine works, it's an added bonus, but not
> really part of the specification :-) :-). If they could have made money
> marketing peas they would have done so ("oh, you want a container to transport
> the peas home in? well that is an optional extra").

The government would be much less responsive.  At least if you needed a container
from IBM or whomever you could get one.  With the government running things
you might get a container if you could prove that everyone needed one and
then only after the peas had spoilt.

Things work well because we have a org that is not keeping a strick close
eye on things.  With the budget in the shambles that it is in, do you really
think that the US government is not going to take a much more active role
in the who/what/when/where of the network?  Is this really what you all want?

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (11/03/90)

In <1990Oct29.205244.2051@supernet.haus.com> cluther@supernet.haus.com
(Clay Luther) writes:

>Internet will not be cheap until it drops to say, $100/month, or less.

I fail to see why it should be any more than about $1.50 per month,
plus communications costs.  You don't need $100/month for storing a
password entry.  The only significant cost should be for
communications.

While we're on the subject, the whole idea of requiring some sort of
leased line for Internet access is all wrong.  In this age of
Trailblazers, low-volume access to a network shouldn't need to cost
more than $30/hour after hours plus $1.50 per month for maintaining the
account.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

clarke@acheron.uucp (Ed Clarke/10240000) (11/03/90)

From article <2650@cirrusl.UUCP>, by dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi):
- While we're on the subject, the whole idea of requiring some sort of
- leased line for Internet access is all wrong.  In this age of
- Trailblazers, low-volume access to a network shouldn't need to cost
- more than $30/hour after hours plus $1.50 per month for maintaining the
- account.

PSInet charges $250/month, flat fee using local phone numbers.  There are
no additional charges for packet or connect time.  If you think that you
will use internet access more than eight hours at your $30/hr, then you
have access right now.  Call 1.800.82PSI82 (blech!) to get more info.
They support PPP (RFC 1171 asynch), SLIP (RFC 1055) and X.25/IP.

I just got the add yesterday ...
--
               | "Pain, n.  An uncomfortable frame of mind that may have
Ed Clarke      |  a physical basis in something that is being done to the
acheron!clarke |  body, or may be purely mental, caused by the good fortune