[news.admin] Freedom of the net

Would someone please take the jerk who posted an inflamatory article on
software piracy to six big groups, without putting in a followup line,
out back and shoot him?  We just went through this same pointless drivel
in mid-summer, and as soon as a new bunch of gullible school kids get on
the net, this bozo has to set off another wide bandwidth, zero value
posting war.

The guppies who suckered into following this up, _please_ correct your
"Newsgroups: " lines to contain _only_ misc.legal in all successive
postings.  It may save your accounts.  It will certainly do wonders
for my nerves.

Why the news posting software writers haven't corrected the obvious flaw
of allowing cross-posted articles without followup-to entries, after so
many ample demonstrations of the complete necessity of such a fix, is
beyond me.

Kent, the man from xanth.

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (11/13/90)

>Why the news posting software writers haven't corrected the obvious flaw
>of allowing cross-posted articles without followup-to entries, after so
>many ample demonstrations of the complete necessity of such a fix, is
>beyond me.

Why do you think this is a good idea?

The problem is that the groups an article is posted to are sometimes
inappropriate.  Followups are not the problem (or the solution).
--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

elw@netx.com (Edwin Wiles) (11/17/90)

In some article that someone posted and Jon didn't attribute:

In article <DMK_NX@b-tech.uucp> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>Why do you think this is a good idea?
>The problem is that the groups an article is posted to are sometimes
>inappropriate.  Followups are not the problem (or the solution).

Requiring a followup-to entry would move all the complaints about a poorly
cross-posted message to ONE group, therefore cutting down on the total
annoyance factor that the original poorly cross-posted message would
otherwise generate as all the poorly cross-posted responses complaining
about it showed up in all the original groups.

IMHO, this would be an EXCELENT idea.  Yes, you still get the original
irritation of the poorly crosposted message, but for all but one of
the news groups, that's the END of the matter.  This is a VAST
improvment over the current situation.

DISCUSSION OF VARIOUS CROSSPOSTING LIMITATION METHODS FOLLOWS:

Yes, it would be nice to have some way of telling when a set of newsgroups
cross-posted to are inapropriate, but this would either require 'cross-post
allowed' information for all newsgroups, thus limiting all attempts at cross-
posting regardless of the actual appropriateness of the message to the desired
groups.  Or it would require some sort of moderator to examine the cross-posted
messages for appropriatness before releasing them to the network as a whole.

Requiring a "followup-to" field when more than one newsgroup is selected for
posting is a relatively easy and simple task that can be implemented across
the network as the authors of the various newsreading programs have time.
In the case of those who use "Pnews" and "Pnews.headers", it could be
implemented at will by simply modifying those two scripts.

The 'cross-posting allowed' option is also implementable in software, but
has the great drawback of requiring an additional step in the creation of a
newsgroup.  To wit, what newsgroups now existing will you allow cross-posting
to, and how do the current readers of those newsgroup feel about it?  It also
has the interesting question of how many cross-posting links you allow the
cross-posting checker to step through.  One?  Two?  All?   Additionally, how
do you distribute the information regarding cross-posting links?  In the
"newgroup" control message?

Example:

This newsgroup:		Allows cross-posting to these:
comp.foobar.tech	comp.foobar.misc
comp.foobar.misc	comp.misc
comp.misc		comp.*      # comp.misc cross-posts to any comp group.

If you allow one hop, then comp.foobar.tech can certainly cross-post to
comp.foobar.misc, and vice-versa.

But what happens when the user asks for a cross-post to the following:
comp.foobar.tech, comp.foobar.misc, comp.misc, and comp.sys.ibm.pc?

How about just: comp.foobar.tech, comp.foobar.misc, and comp.misc?

The 'cross-posting moderated' option is flatly impossible.  We have enough
trouble as it is in finding moderators to handle the normal moderation tasks.
Asking someone to take this position is asking for network wide censorship of
cross-posted messages; not exactly a wonderful idea.

Hopefully this will spawn some useful discussion...

						Enjoy!
--
Prefered.: elw@netx.com				Edwin Wiles
Alternate: ...!grebyn!netex!elw			NetExpress Inc., Suite 300,