[news.admin] How to make a faster comp.sources.unix

It's difficult to know what it really takes to moderate a major source
group until you've spent some time at the job. But I'll bet that if
there's one thing that will take the load off Rich's back, it's seeing
on a small scale what will happen when a package appears.

You want comp.sources.unix to produce software faster? You want to
contribute some effort? Stop whining and start beta testing!

I'd like to help. If Rich sends me each comp.sources.unix submission at
some stage of editing, I'll do my best to look at and test at least half
the packages in each volume. I'll tell Rich what I think about each
package, and I'll follow any guidelines he sets on things to look for.
I'll tell him if I ever find I no longer have the time or resources to
keep up with his schedule.

Do you want to help? Do you want to see comp.sources.unix submissions
ahead of time, and help give each package the workout it deserves? Say
so. Follow up to this message and make a commitment.

Disclaimer: I haven't checked with Rich, so I don't know whether he
supports this idea.

---Dan

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (11/30/90)

In article <10770:Nov3009:18:4790@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>You want comp.sources.unix to produce software faster? You want to
>contribute some effort? Stop whining and start beta testing!

This is a fantastic idea.

>I'd like to help. If Rich sends me each comp.sources.unix submission at
>some stage of editing, I'll do my best to look at and test at least half
>the packages in each volume. I'll tell Rich what I think about each
>package, and I'll follow any guidelines he sets on things to look for.
>I'll tell him if I ever find I no longer have the time or resources to
>keep up with his schedule.

I think a better idea would be a list of volunteers whom Rick distributes
a list of packages amongst.  The volunteers then request the packages they
are able to/interested in testing.  This way people who have resources
to spare can sign up for more work than those people without.  Anyone
who gets burnt out naturally fades into the woodwork.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson

In article <18766@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
> The volunteers then request the packages they
> are able to/interested in testing.  This way people who have resources
> to spare can sign up for more work than those people without.

Okay, the exact organization of this thing can be debated (and is really
up to Rich). Other people have likened comp.sources.unix to a technical
journal whose editor might appreciate some referees. But however you
want to look at it, the most constructive way to contribute to
comp.sources.unix is to volunteer your services as a beta tester.

---Dan

marz@cbnewsm.att.com (martin.zam) (12/01/90)

In article <10770:Nov3009:18:4790@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>, brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
> You want comp.sources.unix to produce software faster? You want to
> contribute some effort? Stop whining and start beta testing!
>
> Do you want to help? Do you want to see comp.sources.unix submissions
> ahead of time, and help give each package the workout it deserves? Say
> so. Follow up to this message and make a commitment.
>
> Disclaimer: I haven't checked with Rich, so I don't know whether he
> supports this idea.
>
> ---Dan

I'm just as swamped as the next guy, but if a bunch of us overworked
hacker types would each pick up just one package and apply some
small amount of the time we might otherwise spend playing computer
games (you know who you are), we could see this problem solved in a
very net-like manner.

Look, I spend time playing with code I get from the net anyway.  I like
the idea of other people getting some benefit of the time I invest in
getting these programs into a useful form.  So count me in.  I'll invest
the time I usually do anyway, maybe more if I know people are waiting
for me to finish.

						Hope this influences a few,
						Martin Zam
						(201)564-2554

rodgers@clausius.mmwb.ucsf.edu (12/01/90)

In <18766@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:

>In article <10770:Nov3009:18:4790@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>>You want comp.sources.unix to produce software faster? You want to
>>contribute some effort? Stop whining and start beta testing!

>This is a fantastic idea.
>I think a better idea would be a list of volunteers whom Rick distributes
>a list of packages amongst.

This is definitely worth pursuing.  The idea is similar to that of a
peer-reviewed journal, with its Board of Editors.  As frustrated as i have
been with the slowness in comp.sources.unix, my sympathies lie with Rich;
this is an enormous amount of work for one busy professional to be doing in
his/her fleeting spare moments (thanks, Rich!).  I don't know how any of the
source moderators do it.  It would indeed be better if we all stopped whining
and looked at new ways of doing things.  Given the loose organization of
the net, perhaps one source group adapting this structure would lead to
others following.

Cheerio, Rick Rodgers
R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D.         (415)476-8910 (work) 664-0560 (home)
UCSF Laurel Heights Campus     UUCP: ...ucbvax.berkeley.edu!cca.ucsf.edu!rodgers
3333 California St., Suite 102 ARPA: rodgers@maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu
San Francisco CA 94118 USA     BITNET: rodgers@ucsfcca

tar@math.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) (12/01/90)

brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>Do you want to help? Do you want to see comp.sources.unix submissions
>ahead of time, and help give each package the workout it deserves? Say
>so. Follow up to this message and make a commitment.

Okay, I volunteer to help out.  I know my way around a UNIX system,
I have free time, and best of all I know the system administrator on
this system will let me.

Tim
--
Tim Ramsey (tar@math.ksu.edu)   (913) 532-6750 (voice)  532-7004 (FAX)
Department of Mathematics, Kansas State University, Manhattan KS 66506

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (12/01/90)

brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

> Okay, the exact organization of this thing can be debated (and is really
> up to Rich).

One problem is that r$ doesn't often like to discuss what/why/how he's
managing with c.s.u.  This isn't the first time that people have offered
to help in a public forum, but I don't think r$ has ever taken anyone up
on their offers.  I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing
(at least with r$ we know who we're getting) but it does seem that r$'s
silence does seem to bring out all sorts of nasty comments from some people.

--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) (12/01/90)

brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
|Do you want to help? Do you want to see comp.sources.unix submissions
|ahead of time, and help give each package the workout it deserves? Say
|so. Follow up to this message and make a commitment.

i admire this action but this really isn't a new idea.  and i think
it puts the cart before the horse.  it seems we should have a framework
to operate in before we start planning the operation.  at the very
least rich should tell us if he thinks this is a good idea.

if there is sufficient support for a new way to deliver unix sources
then a call for discussion and vote for a new group should be simple
if comp.unix.sources is felt to be deficient in some way and nothing
is going to change.

we could call it comp.sources.unix.refereed.

--
pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!pjg / pjg@ubvms (Bitnet)
opinions found above are mine unless marked otherwise.

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (12/02/90)

As quoted from <10770:Nov3009:18:4790@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> by brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein):
+---------------
| Do you want to help? Do you want to see comp.sources.unix submissions
| ahead of time, and help give each package the workout it deserves? Say
| so. Follow up to this message and make a commitment.
+---------------

I don't know about Rich, but *I* like it --- and it has the further advantage
that, with enough willing volunteers on enough different machines/operating
systems, one can then test almost any package that comes in by shunting it to
the right volunteer for testing.  Maybe the next moderator of .misc should try
this out.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN

kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Kent Landfield) (12/04/90)

In article <10770:Nov3009:18:4790@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>You want comp.sources.unix to produce software faster? You want to
>contribute some effort? Stop whining and start beta testing!

This is a great idea!

>I'd like to help.

And so would I... We have been seeing this line focused mainly on
c.s.u.  Maybe there are other source group moderators who might
want to consider this. Everyone wins with this approach.

>Do you want to help? Do you want to see comp.sources.unix submissions
>ahead of time, and help give each package the workout it deserves? Say
>so. Follow up to this message and make a commitment.

Done! Any source moderator who would like to try this idea out, send me
some email. I'll help.

			-Kent+

--
Kent Landfield                       INTERNET: kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM
Sterling Software, IMD               UUCP:     uunet!sparky!kent

irick@en.ecn.purdue.edu (GarBear Irick) (12/04/90)

brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>Do you want to help? Do you want to see comp.sources.unix submissions
>ahead of time, and help give each package the workout it deserves? Say
>so. Follow up to this message and make a commitment.

I think that it's a darn good idea, and volunteer to help in any way that
I can.  What the heck, they always say that we run machines here at Purdue
harder than anywhere on the planet...  might as well keep true to the
tradition!  Count me in, Rich..

--
Gary A. Irick,  Purdue University | "You can log out any time you like,
INTERNET: irick@en.ecn.purdue.edu |  But you can never leave!"

shurr@cbnews.att.com (Larry A. Shurr) (12/05/90)

}
} }In article <10770:Nov3009:18:4790@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
} }}You want comp.sources.unix to produce software faster? You want to
} }}contribute some effort? Stop whining and start beta testing!

} }This is a fantastic idea.
} }I think a better idea would be a list of volunteers whom Rick distributes
} }a list of packages amongst.

} This is definitely worth pursuing...

Agreed.  Not only that, but I can volunteer as beta tester whereas I have
to pass on the idea of me being moderator (I don't own the resources and
I can't volunteer a client's resources in order to become moderator).  If
we can make this idea fly, I wish also to be a beta tester.

regards, Larry
--
Larry A. Shurr (cbnmva!las@att.ATT.COM or att!cbnmva!las)
The end of the world has been delayed due to a shortage of trumpet players.

sean@utodaycom (Sean Fulton) (12/07/90)

In article <10770:Nov3009:18:4790@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>You want comp.sources.unix to produce software faster? You want to
>contribute some effort? Stop whining and start beta testing!
>
>I'd like to help. If Rich sends me each comp.sources.unix submission at
>some stage of editing, I'll do my best to look at and test at least half
>the packages in each volume. I'll tell Rich what I think about each
>package, and I'll follow any guidelines he sets on things to look for.
>I'll tell him if I ever find I no longer have the time or resources to
>keep up with his schedule.

I'd like to help as well. I'm not sure if I've the experience needed
to do serious editing, but I'd sure be into some beta work.

I do appreciate the work Rich is doing and for those who find his
schedule too slow, find an alternate group.

I really haven't followed this thread from the beginning, but I've
seen the bashing of late and it's really too bad. It's too bad because
I've learned an incredible amount from working with software from
comp.sources.unix, all the while fairly safe in the understanding that
the sources I was getting were clean and thoroughly-tested. Piss off a
volunteer and you might well lose him. And that would indeed be sad.
--
Sean Fulton					sean@utoday.com
UNIX Today!					(516) 562-5430