[news.admin] The responsibilities of volunteers

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (12/01/90)

According to brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton):
>People who work to build usenet do things, but they have
>no duty to do so.

I'll agree with this statement, as far as it goes.  But this vital
adjunct must not be omitted:

   A person who accepts a volunteer job has a responsibility
   either (1) to do the job or (2) to resign.

Rich Salz is not doing his job.  The obligation on him now is either
(1) to resume the wonderful job he has done in the past, or (2) to
resign and let someone else do it.

In other words, Rich:  "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
    "I've been cranky ever since my comp.unix.wizards was removed

hack@moxie.lonestar.org (Greg Hackney) (12/02/90)

In article <2756A27D.5D54@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

> Rich Salz is not doing his job.  The obligation on him now is either
> (1) to resume the wonderful job he has done in the past, or (2) to
> resign and let someone else do it.
> In other words, Rich:  "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."

A stream will always find a path around a rock, i.e.:

1. Creation of new newsgroups like alt.sources

2. The growing occurence of FTP sites offering their sponsored source code.

3. Source postings to specialty newsgroups, i.e. comp.mail.elm

--
Greg Hackney
hack@moxie.lonestar.org

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (12/03/90)

In article <2756A27D.5D54@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>Rich Salz is not doing his job.  The obligation on him now is either
>(1) to resume the wonderful job he has done in the past, or (2) to
>resign and let someone else do it.
>
>In other words, Rich:  "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."

you create a few new newsgroups and this lets you tell other
people how to do their job?  last time i checked it looked
as though r$ was doing a fine job.  seems as though the jury
is out on whether or not he is doing his job.

you know the deal - if you think there is a need for a new
newsgroup, call for the discussion, collect everyone's opinion,
then call for the vote.  until that time, r$ is the moderator.
i expect that you will be calling for the discussion to remove
comp.sources.unix any time now, right?

>    "I've been cranky ever since my comp.unix.wizards was removed
>         by that evil Chip Salzenberg."   -- John F. Haugh II

lose the .sig quote, chip.  it might have been funny a few months
ago, but it is getting quite old.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"Rich Salz is not doing his job.  The obligation on him now is ... to resign"
		-- Chip Salzenberg

jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick) (12/03/90)

[Some general comments on this whole subject  --  this might even be
 considered a small smoulder.

 smoulder (v. intr.)  1. To burn with little smoke or flame.   2. To
    exist in a suppressed state.  3.  To manifest repressed anger or
    hatred.

 There is also a noun definition, but my "nouning" of the verbal forms
 (esp.  defs. 1 and 3) suits my purposes here.]

Lotsa noise on this subject.  Lotsa *big* packages shipped out.  This all
takes time by the moderator... to compile on various platforms, to test on
various platforms, to search for (on even a cursory basis) "obvious" security
holes or other "badness"...

I don't know Rich.  I've never met Rich, and may never do so.  Still, I'm
reasonably happy with what shows up.  If it takes a while for something
good and useful to appear, well....   we're all certainly paying 'top dollar'
for it, aren't we?

The tenor of much recent traffic on this subject seems to be "C.s.u is my
God Given Right!  I'm ENTITLED to it!"  I disagree with this attitude.  C.s.u
is a gift, from many generous individuals.  I have found much of great utility
in this group, and I am grateful for it.

Many of the voiciferous complainers (and you know who you are!) should sit
back, reflect on, and be thankful for, their blessings.  *They* need an
'attitude adjustment'.

Thank you for your attention,
--
John G Dobnick  (JGD2)
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight."  -- William Safire

jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) (12/03/90)

In article <18768@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>In article <2756A27D.5D54@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>>    "I've been cranky ever since my comp.unix.wizards was removed
>>         by that evil Chip Salzenberg."   -- John F. Haugh II
>lose the .sig quote, chip.  it might have been funny a few months
>ago, but it is getting quite old.

About as old as your continued complaints about comp.unix.wizards, Eliot Lear,
and the internals vote, I'd say...

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.

sean@utodaycom (Sean Fulton) (12/07/90)

Let me get this straight: The Rich Salz bashers are a couple of
students at Yale; the Rich Salz defenders are mostly professionals who
take time away from making money to contribute to Usenet.

Does this seem strange to anyone?

--
Sean Fulton					sean@utoday.com
UNIX Today!					(516) 562-5430

chrisb@risky.Convergent.COM (Chris Bertin) (12/08/90)

In article <1842@utodaycom>, sean@utodaycom (Sean Fulton) writes:
> Let me get this straight: The Rich Salz bashers are a couple of
> students at Yale; the Rich Salz defenders are mostly professionals who
> take time away from making money to contribute to Usenet.

The problem doesn't seem to be doing or not doing one's volunteer work. The
problem is not providing any feed back. If Rich Salz posted an article saying
something like 'I am overworked and I won't be able to look at any of the
c.s.u submissions for at least n weeks', most people would understand. And
that should not take that much of his time...

Chris

--
Chris Bertin		|   chrisb@risky.Convergent.COM
Unisys			|		or

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (12/08/90)

Sean Fulton writes:

> Let me get this straight: The Rich Salz bashers are a couple of
> students at Yale; the Rich Salz defenders are mostly professionals
> who take time away from making money to contribute to Usenet.

Well, Sean, I wouldn't be too fast off the gun here.  I'm an ersatz
professional, have been involved with Usenet and Unix for quite a few
years, even moderate a group or two (comp.society and ba.announce)
and I personally believe that Rich has been slipping up on his job
to the point where it would be most appropriate at this juncture for
him to propose a viable alternative approach to moderating the
comp.sources.unix group.

Further, Rich and I have been friends for years too, and I know that
as an individual he is of, what's the phrase?, the highest moral and
ethical fiber.  :-)  He's a good guy, and like Muddy Waters might say,
he's just got one hell of a job on the side...

The point here isn't whether or not Rich is a nice person, or whether
or not moderators should be allowed to do whatever the heck they want,
but whether or not the needs of the Usenet community are being met.
I think that with the current poor turnaround time on source code
being submitted to Rich, coupled with the highly sporadic nature of
the articles themselves, the needs of the community are not being met.

A caveat; I don't believe that any volunteer, on the side, is going to
be able to find sufficient time to properly moderate the group, including
testing out all software before release (as Rich does currently).  I am
much more in favor of a team moderation effort, where the rather
incredible workload of the job is distributed among a team of people,
each expert in a specific field/genre of software...

Of course, I'd also vote in favor of the Usenix Association paying for
a qualified person to do this job part/full time (though if someone
could devote 10-20 hours a week, I'm sure things would be much more on
track than they are now).

Heck, some of the best software I have on my computer, some of the most
common packages (including rn, netnews, and elm) have gotten to my
machine via the comp.sources.unix channel.  It's a GREAT idea, an
excellent distribution mechanism, and it's fun too.  It just isn't
working...
						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (12/08/90)

In article <1842@utodaycom> sean@utoday.UUCP (Sean Fulton) writes:
<Let me get this straight: The Rich Salz bashers are a couple of
<students at Yale; the Rich Salz defenders are mostly professionals who
<take time away from making money to contribute to Usenet.
<
<Does this seem strange to anyone?

Your message, you mean?  Indeed it does!

First, I (one "student at Yale"--has anyone seen another on this group?)
am *not* bashing Rich.  When he does his task, he does it well.  But he's
not doing it.  And he won't even accept the dozen or so offers of help which
have been posted here.

Second, there are plenty of others who are "bashing" Rich, including
"professionals who...".

Third, that/those student(s) at Yale are also taking time away from making
money to contribute to USENET.

Fourth, is `sean@utodaycom' a valid address?  If not, please take time away
from making money and fix it.

					--Scott

--
Scott Horne                               ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!horne
horne@cs.Yale.edu      SnailMail:  Box 7196 Yale Station, New Haven, CT   06520

jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick) (12/09/90)

From article <27662@cs.yale.edu>, by horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne):
> In article <1842@utodaycom> sean@utoday.UUCP (Sean Fulton) writes:
> <Let me get this straight: The Rich Salz bashers are a couple of
> <students at Yale; ...
>
> First, I (one "student at Yale"--has anyone seen another on this group?)
> am *not* bashing Rich.  When he does his task, he does it well.  But he's
> not doing it.  ...

[And, thus, you are "bashing" him.]

Let's deal in some facts, if you please.   How long has Rich been moderating
c.s.u?  And, in that time, how many packages have been released?

To answer my own questions...

I think Rich assumed the post of c.s.u moderator in July 1986.  By my count,
this was 4 1/2 years (234 weeks) ago.  A very cursory examination of the
c.s.u archives on uunet reveals about 450 'packages' issued in that time.
This averages out to 1.95 'packages' per week, or one every 3 to 4 days.

Conclusion...

What's *wrong* with you people?  *Two* "fixes" a week aren't sufficient?
Are you addicted to a constant flow of free code, or what?

Maybe the 'solution' to this situation is to implement what Brian Reid did
in the (now moribund?) alt.recipes group.  When he 'sent' something out,
it actually went into an output queue.  A periodic daemon then actually
transmitted (a small number of) articles weekly, thus artifically levelling
the flow rate.  Perhaps a lessening of expectations in this manner would
quiet some of the noise we have been hearing?   Nahhhh.... too logical.
It'd never work.  The 'mob' would refuse to understand.

Opinion...

I suggest all you complainers go crawl back under your rocks!

Irkedly,
[and yes, that turned into a flame!]
--

marc@dumbcat.sf.ca.us (Marco S Hyman) (12/10/90)

In article <1987@risky.Convergent.COM> chrisb@risky.Convergent.COM (Chris Bertin) writes:
    The problem is not providing any feed back. If Rich Salz posted an
    article saying something like 'I am overworked and I won't be able to
    look at any of the c.s.u submissions for at least n weeks', most people
    would understand.

I must disagree with Chris.  Such a posting would just be so much flame
bait.  Most people today (IMHO) see a silence in c.s.u and think (if they
give it any thought at all) "Rich must be busy."  Ditto the other moderated
groups.  A few feel c.s.u is their god given right and will bitch if they
don't get their daily fix.  If things are changed it will just lead to
different complaints, perhaps by different people.

// marc
--
// marc@dumbcat.sf.ca.us
// {ames,decwrl,sun}!pacbell!dumbcat!marc

In article <1842@utodaycom>, sean@utodaycom (Sean Fulton) writes:
|> Let me get this straight: The Rich Salz bashers are a couple of
|> students at Yale; the Rich Salz defenders are mostly professionals who
|> take time away from making money to contribute to Usenet.
|>
|> Does this seem strange to anyone?

  It really, really annoys me when people state untruths which are so easily
proven false.  Sean, I can't accuse you of lying, because a person can only
lie if he knows that he is not telling the truth, and I don't know if you
realize that the statement above just isn't true.  I will therefore simply
show that it isn't true and let the rest of the net draw its own conclusions.

  I just went through 147 postings to news.admin on the subject of
comp.sources.unix and Rich Salz starting with the one from Larry Blair which
started the whole thing.  I divided the postings into three categories by
saving them to different files -- postings which expressed the belief that the
status quo in comp.sources.unix is fine, postings which expressed the belief
that change to the status quo is desirable, and postings whose stance were
unclear to me.  Since my beliefs fall into the second category, I tried to
bias my interpretation in favor of the first and third categories in order to
make things a bit more fair.

  The following people posted messages which I thought fell into the
"pro status quo" category:

        From: bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy)
        From: billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson)
        From: brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein)
        From: chris@utgard.uucp (Chris Anderson)
        From: dnb@meshugge.media.mit.edu (David N. Blank)
        From: emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti)
        From: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II)
        From: jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick)
        From: keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson)
        From: lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot)
        From: marc@dumbcat.sf.ca.us (Marco S Hyman)
        From: reid@wrl.dec.com (Brian Reid)
        From: rodgers@clausius.mmwb.ucsf.edu
        From: sean@utodaycom (Sean Fulton)
        From: tombre@crin.fr (Karl Tombre)
        From: tony@oha.UUCP (Tony Olekshy)
        From: woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods)
        From: xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan)

The following people posted messages which I thought fell into the "pro
change" category:

        From: allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR)
        From: bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh)
        From: chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg)
        From: chrisb@risky.Convergent.COM (Chris Bertin)
        From: gmp@rayssd.ssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris)
        From: hack@moxie.lonestar.org (Greg Hackney)
        From: horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne)
        From: jef@well.sf.ca.us (Jef Poskanzer)
        From: jerry@olivey.olivetti.com (Jerry Aguirre)
        From: jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens)
        From: lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair)
        From: pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham)
        From: rabe@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (brett m rabe; Jiffy Script Inc.)
        From: ruck@reef.cis.ufl.edu (John Ruckstuhl)
        From: scott@wiley.uucp (Scott Simpson)
        From: taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor)
        From: tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff)
        From: warkent@ltisun7.epfl.ch (Ken Warkentyne)

I won't include the undecided list at this point because it's quite long
(there were lots of tangents :-) and doesn't really affect the point I'm
trying to make.

  I apologize to anyone who feels I have grouped them "on the wrong side" in
the lists I've posted above.  However, even several such misinterpretations
would not change the fact that there are quite a few more than "a couple
students at Yale" asking for change in comp.sources.unix.

  Incidentally, I am very, very tired of the old accusation that "students"
don't contribute to the Usenet, but "professionals" do; that "students" don't
know enough for their postings to be relevant, but "professionals" do; that
people who haven't been around the Usenet since its creation don't have a say
in anything that happens on it, but that the old-timers always do.  Give me a
break.

  I'm not trying to prove anything in this posting.  I'm not trying to say,
"See, more people are pro change than anti change, so there should be a
change!"  I'm just trying to prevent the unwarranted belittling of one side of
this debate.  Let's try to discuss things reasonably, people?

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

In article <8195@uwm.edu>, jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick) writes:
|> Let's deal in some facts, if you please.

  Yes, let's.  But let's deal with all of the facts, not just the ones that
are convenient for you, OK?

|> How long has Rich been moderating
|> c.s.u?  And, in that time, how many packages have been released?
|>
|> To answer my own questions...
|>
|> [a calculation that purports to show that since Rich took over, there have
|>  been an average of two packages per week posted to comp.sources.unix.]
|>
|> What's *wrong* with you people?  *Two* "fixes" a week aren't sufficient?
|> Are you addicted to a constant flow of free code, or what?

  Are you really trying to claim that an average calculation over the entire
life of comp.sources.unix (with Rich moderating it) is a valid indication of
the actual *current* status of the newsgroup?  That's completely ridiculous.
Your analysis completely ignores the most important issues being discussed
here.

  First of all, we've been discussing the chronological (as opposed to
qualitative -- I don't think anyone here has challenged Rich's ability to do a
very good job on the submissions that *do* get posted) consistency of Rich's
moderation.  Over the last couple of years, it has become completely
impossible for an author to know, after submitting something to
comp.sources.unix, whether it would take a week, a month, or even a year for
the submission to actually be posted to the newsgroup.  Your calculations
ignore this.

  Second, as I have pointed out in another message, your calculations are only
relevant if you make the base assumption that the number of submissions to the
newsgroup hasn't risen since Rich took over.  But, in fact, it is almost
certainly the case that the number of submissions *has* risen, in which case
the output of the newsgroup should *also* rise; if it does not, then the
inevitable affect is longer delays, which is exactly what is being protested.

  Third, as I have pointed out in another message, it is ludicrous to try to
claim  two packages are posted to c.s.u per week, when six of the last twelve
months have seen *no packages at all* posted to the newsgroup, or at least,
not according to what's in the archives on uunet.uu.net.

--

jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
> jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick) writes:

>> Let's deal in some facts, if you please.

> Yes, let's. But let's deal with all of the facts, not just the ones
> that are convenient for you, OK?

Well, while we're setting rules, let's not make unilateral decisions on
just what is important about posting software to comp.sources.unix, OK?

>> How long has Rich been moderating c.s.u? And, in that time, how many
>> packages have been released?

>> To answer my own questions...

>> [a calculation that purports to show that since Rich took over, there
>> have been an average of two packages per week posted to
>> comp.sources.unix.]

I can't imagine what, outside of kindergarden level innumeracy, could
have prompted you to choose the term "purports"; either you understand
the calculation, or you do not.  I'm pretty sure my twelve year old
daughter could walk you through it, if it gave you that much trouble.

>> What's *wrong* with you people? *Two* "fixes" a week aren't
>> sufficient? Are you addicted to a constant flow of free code, or
>> what?

> Are you really trying to claim that an average calculation over the
> entire life of comp.sources.unix (with Rich moderating it) is a valid
> indication of the actual *current* status of the newsgroup? That's
> completely ridiculous.

Well, my site's undergone a hardware upgrade this year, but the last
article count I saw for comp.sources.unix was 501, so at least that many
postings have hit the group. That doesn't at all look to me like the
signs of an idle moderator.  And, strangely enough, there's an article
currently online in the group for each day of this site's expire time.
Looks like he's just been _pouring_ sources out, to me.

> Your analysis completely ignores the most important issues being
> discussed here.

Unfortunately, that judgement of "importance" is not widely shared.

> First of all, we've been discussing the chronological (as opposed to
> qualitative -- I don't think anyone here has challenged Rich's ability
> to do a very good job on the submissions that *do* get posted)
> consistency of Rich's moderation.

As was noted by another poster in response to the article with the graph,
what we see is that the group's output has _always_ been bunchy.  All we
have now is a bunch of newbies who just noticed the fact and are trying to
pretend they've discovered heliocentrism, or something.

> Over the last couple of years, it has become completely impossible for
> an author to know, after submitting something to comp.sources.unix,
> whether it would take a week, a month, or even a year for the
> submission to actually be posted to the newsgroup. Your calculations
> ignore this.

Impatient authors have and have always had a multitude of alternate
publication paths. Some have used them. My site was using trn off an ftp
site before it came out in c.s.u. It is a fair assumption that authors
who wait patiently for their software to be posted do so because they
are willing to trade time for the imprimateur of quality Rich's
excellent moderation gives the software published through c.s.u.

Since the main value of the group is its reputation, and that depends
entirely on the diligence and probity of the moderator, proposals to go
to a multi-moderator system or to replace the moderator are quite beside
the point. I can think of perhaps three other people on the net I'd
trust with the job, and none of them have stepped forward to offer
assistance.

> Second, as I have pointed out in another message, your calculations
> are only relevant if you make the base assumption that the number of
> submissions to the newsgroup hasn't risen since Rich took over. But,
> in fact, it is almost certainly the case that the number of
> submissions *has* risen, in which case the output of the newsgroup
> should *also* rise; if it does not, then the inevitable affect is
> longer delays, which is exactly what is being protested.

Bingo!  We have a scarce and irreplaceable resource, and aside from the
false to fact character assassination postings here, he is also being
abused by overuse.  Are there really that many people on the net who
write software _worth_ the quality of review that sees it published in
comp.sources.unix?

> Third, as I have pointed out in another message, it is ludicrous to
> try to claim two packages are posted to c.s.u per week, when six of
> the last twelve months have seen *no packages at all* posted to the
> newsgroup, or at least, not according to what's in the archives on
> uunet.uu.net.

You slept through your statistics classes, or you took a pass when
common sense was handed out? That is the biggest set of logical
contradictions yet posted in this pile of newbie nattering. If there are
sixteen packages posted every other month, or eight per month, the
average is the same.

If you have a point aside from your first amendment right to bitch in
print at length, you have yet to make it.

Kent, the man from xanth.

In article <1990Dec10.055351.13221@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG>, xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
|> I can't imagine what, outside of kindergarden level innumeracy, could
|> have prompted you to choose the term "purports"; either you understand
|> the calculation, or you do not.  I'm pretty sure my twelve year old
|> daughter could walk you through it, if it gave you that much trouble.

  My apologies for the word choice, which, now that I've looked up the word
"purport" in my dictionary didn't quite convey the idea that I meant to
convey.  I should have said "alleges," not "purports" -- the idea I meant to
convey was that I was reserving judgment one way or the other.

  In any case, the insults with which your article is riddled can do nothing
but increase the flamage without producing any significant discussion; so why
do you insist on including them in your response?  I may have criticized what
John Dobnick wrote in my response to his message, but as far as I recall, I
didn't criticize *him*; you, on the other hand, appear to take great pains to
find opportunities to insult me in your message.

  Oh, wait, I forgot, you're one of the elite who are not considered
"newbies," so you're allowed to insult anyone you want, hmm?

  Getting back to the subject at hand, I did have some doubt about Dobnick's
calculations, mainly because I don't think he took into account the fact that
there's a huge block of sources right in the earliest part of the
comp.sources.unix archives that were *not* posted while Rich was moderator.
Although I'm not certain that Dobnick counted those in his calculations, I
believe that he did; hence, the validity of the statistics were questionable
in my mind; hence the use of the word "purports."

|> Well, my site's undergone a hardware upgrade this year, but the last
|> article count I saw for comp.sources.unix was 501, so at least that many
|> postings have hit the group. That doesn't at all look to me like the
|> signs of an idle moderator.  And, strangely enough, there's an article
|> currently online in the group for each day of this site's expire time.
|> Looks like he's just been _pouring_ sources out, to me.

  Oh, this is just grand.  "There have been 501 postings in the newsgroup over
the past n years, which means that the moderator must not be idle."  This is
exactly the logic to which I objected when Dobnick posted it, and I'm going to
object to it in your posting.  One more time -- a lifetime average does not
imply anything about the CURRENT status of the newsgroup.

  As for recent activity in the newsgroup, it would be completely ludicrous to
claim that one week of activity in the newsgroup belies all claims that there
have been any recent idle blocks in the newsgroup at all.

  It is entirely possible that Rich has been reading the discussion in this
newsgroup, and has posted sources recently because of that discussion.  It is
entirely possible that the activity of the past week will taper out as it has
many times in the past, and that we will then see several months with no
activity at all, despite many items waiting to be posted.  Your assertiong
that "this week has been active" does nothing whatsoever to belie the claim
that the TREND has been toward more idle gaps and less activity.

|> > Your analysis completely ignores the most important issues being
|> > discussed here.
|>
|> Unfortunately, that judgement of "importance" is not widely shared.

  That is not clear to me.  The fact that you do not agree with it is no
indication that it "is not widely shared;" it is just an indication that you
do not agree with it.  I have seen quite a few other postings from other
people expressing ideas similar to what I have expressed in my postings; those
postings give *me* the impression that I am not alone in my "judgement [sic]
of `importance'."  I'm sorry if you don't agree.

|> As was noted by another poster in response to the article with the graph,
|> what we see is that the group's output has _always_ been bunchy.  All we
|> have now is a bunch of newbies who just noticed the fact and are trying to
|> pretend they've discovered heliocentrism, or something.

  And as was noted by me in at least two other postings, if the number of
submissions goes up and the gaps remain consistent (or, worse, get longer),
then the gaps are effectively LARGER because the gap for each individual
package is larger.

  Once more, we see the "newbies" argument -- people who haven't been around
the net forever don't know anything and don't have the right to speak about
anything.  Give me a break, Kent, it just doesn't wash.

  As I noted in response to the article to which you refer above, if the
output has already been bunchy, then perhapse we've ALWAYS had the problem!  I
believe someone else pointed out near the start of the discussion that there
were complaints about the irregularity in c.s.u postings as much as TWO YEARS
AGO.  The argument, "That's how it's always been, so it can't be wrong,"
doesn't wash either.

|> Impatient authors have and have always had a multitude of alternate
|> publication paths. Some have used them. My site was using trn off an ftp
|> site before it came out in c.s.u. It is a fair assumption that authors
|> who wait patiently for their software to be posted do so because they
|> are willing to trade time for the imprimateur of quality Rich's
|> excellent moderation gives the software published through c.s.u.

  To be frank, for my software at least, I don't give a damn about "the
imprimateur of quality of Rich's excellent moderation."  Until the start of
this discussion, I had no idea at all that people considered that "imprimateur
of quality" to be such an important aspect of the group.  I posted my sources
to comp.sources.unix because the name of the group, and the description of it
in the list of newsgroups, and the other software that I saw posted to it,
implied to me that c.s.u was the right place for my sources.

  I post to c.s.u because that's the most appropriate place for my sources to
go; with or without Rich's "imprimateur," that's where my sources should be.

  Incidentally, Rich's moderation has never made one useful change to the
sources I've posted to c.s.u; as I described in my first posting in this
discussion, the only changes he did make were made without consulting to me,
were wrong, and caused me a lot of grief.  I'm afraid I just can't see how
that fits in with the high standard of quality which so many people attribute
to Rich.  I agree that for what he posts, he does a good job.  But I don't
think his job is so sterling that no one in the world can match it, and I
don't think that he never makes mistakes, and I don't think that authors who
post to c.s.u do so exclusively because they value Rich's expert opinion.

|> Since the main value of the group is its reputation, and that depends
|> entirely on the diligence and probity of the moderator, proposals to go
|> to a multi-moderator system or to replace the moderator are quite beside
|> the point. I can think of perhaps three other people on the net I'd
|> trust with the job, and none of them have stepped forward to offer
|> assistance.

  First of all, as I just discussed above, it is not at all alear to me that
"the main value of the group is its reputation."  Perhaps, to some people that
is the main value of the group.  But I don't think that's true for all people.

  Second, your opinion does not law make.  Just because you would only accept
three other people on the net for the job, does not mean that there are only
three other people on the net who are capable of doing the job.  Oh, wait, I
forgot, you're one of the non-newbie elite, so your opinion is fact, hmm?

|> Bingo!  We have a scarce and irreplaceable resource, and aside from the
|> false to fact character assassination postings here, he is also being
|> abused by overuse.  Are there really that many people on the net who
|> write software _worth_ the quality of review that sees it published in
|> comp.sources.unix?

  Oh, I see!  The reason all of his delays are OK is because the sources that
are being sent to him shouldn't even BE in comp.sources.unix!  Yes, sir,
that's a great argument, let me tell you!

|> > Third, as I have pointed out in another message, it is ludicrous to
|> > try to claim two packages are posted to c.s.u per week, when six of
|> > the last twelve months have seen *no packages at all* posted to the
|> > newsgroup, or at least, not according to what's in the archives on
|> > uunet.uu.net.
|>
|> You slept through your statistics classes, or you took a pass when
|> common sense was handed out? That is the biggest set of logical
|> contradictions yet posted in this pile of newbie nattering. If there are
|> sixteen packages posted every other month, or eight per month, the
|> average is the same.

  Do you see the word "average" anywhere in the paragraph which you have
quoted above.  As I have said, over and over again, what we're discussing NOW
is what's happening NOW, not what was happening three or four years ago!  An
average of two packages per week over the last four years (a statistic which,
as I've pointed out, I question, but that's beside the point) does NOT prove a
current rate of two packages per week!  And, as I pointed out in the paragraph
which you quote, the six empty months in the last twelve would seem to imply
that the current rate is NOT two packages per week!  Is this such a difficult
distinction to understand?

--

tm2b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Todd L. Masco) (12/11/90)

jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>   Incidentally, I am very, very tired of the old accusation that "students"
> don't contribute to the Usenet, but "professionals" do; that "students" don't
> know enough for their postings to be relevant, but "professionals" do; that
> people who haven't been around the Usenet since its creation don't have a say
> in anything that happens on it, but that the old-timers always do.  Give me a
> break.

Heh.  An example:  I'm an undergraduate Physics major, and for the
last year and a half have been maintaining and (when necessary)
moderating the SPACE Digest, the non-USENET side of the newsgroup
sci.space; When Ted Anderson (a professional) left CMU, he asked
for volunteers from the set of CMU subscribers to the Digest and its
companion "best-of" magazine (which I and another undergraduate, Jon
Bennett (jb7m+@andrew.cmu.edu), now moderate).

It's foolish to generalize about *any* group, except about the
definitions of said group.  Happening to be taking classes and working
towards a degree (and probably young -- I'm 20, 19 when I took over
the Digest and Magazine) does not imply that a person will be
irresponsible and/or immature.

And, as DDMI has recently dramatically illustrated, being a
professional does not guarantee that one will not be a bozo.
--
Todd L. Masco   |  tm2b+@{andrew.cmu.edu,andrew.bitnet}  |  "Boxes."

In article <1990Dec10.073955.28681@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>   It is entirely possible that Rich has been reading the discussion in this
> newsgroup, and has posted sources recently because of that discussion.
  [ etc. ]

Look, Rich *does* post software in batches. At time t after a batch
there *is* a flood size f(t) of complaints, where f is a generally
increasing function. These are facts.

You try to explain them by saying ``when there are enough complaints,
Rich posts a batch to shut people up.'' In other words, complaints cause
postings.

I find it more plausible that Rich doesn't bother reading every idiotic
complaint in this group, and people shut up when they see all the useful
software they get. In other words, postings cause a drop in complaints.

There is no logical argument that will prove one of these theories
correct. Correlation does not imply cause. So stop assuming that your
whining is the impetus behind further postings in comp.sources.unix.

> And, as I pointed out in the paragraph
> which you quote, the six empty months in the last twelve would seem to imply
> that the current rate is NOT two packages per week!

Jon, other people in this discussion have bothered to check their facts,
rather than posting a hundred lines of ``comp.sources.unix *could* be
slowing down, so panic panic panic!'' I suggest you gather some relevant
statistics before you post further drivel. No offense intended.

---Dan

In article <12102:Dec1020:45:5990@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>, brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
|> In article <1990Dec10.073955.28681@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
|> >   It is entirely possible that Rich has been reading the discussion in this
|> > newsgroup, and has posted sources recently because of that discussion.
|>   [ etc. ]
|>
|> You try to explain them by saying ``when there are enough complaints,
|> Rich posts a batch to shut people up.'' In other words, complaints cause
|> postings.

  No, I didn't "try to explain them" that way, I said that it is "entirely
possible" that that's the case.  You might notice, Dan, that in this entire
discussion, the paragraph above is the first one in which I suggested any
correlation between complaints and postings to comp.sources.unix.  I hadn't
suggested it before because I don't really believe it's very likely.  I
mentioned it in the posting from which you excerpt only to explain why the
increase in postings in the past week cannot be taken as prima facie evidence
that Rich posts to c.s.u regularly.

|> I find it more plausible that Rich doesn't bother reading every idiotic
|> complaint in this group, and people shut up when they see all the useful
|> software they get. In other words, postings cause a drop in complaints.

  I agree that it is likely that Rich has not read the complaints.  If he has
read them, I agree that it is not likely that they have had a major effect on
his rate of posting to c.s.u.  I was merely trying to point out, as I said,
that it is POSSIBLE that he has read the complaints and that they have
affected the rate of posting.  That possibility makes analysis of the
statistics at face value, without any other considerations, doubtful.

  I've been steamed about c.s.u ever since I sent him my undel2 package and
waited six months for it to get posted.  I don't complain about it because I
don't feel militantly about it one way or the other; you might have noticed
that I didn't jump into this conversation until it had been going on for
several days -- when I did finally post, it was only in response to some
really bogus logic from Ed Vielmetti that I just couldn't let pass
unchallenged :-).

  I don't consider myself one of the "motivating sources" of this discussion.
I don't have enough time right now to take the crusade for better moderation
on my own shoulders, although I am willing to help if someone else sets up a
multiple-moderator scheme of the type that has already been discussed.  Since
I know that I can't "lead the way" right now, I'm quite content to let the
whole thing die, because I would not expect someone else to do what I am not
willing to do myself.  Since I do not consider myself one of the main
motivators of this discussion, but rather just someone who is trying to
present his own opinions because he feels they may help to clarify some
issues, I cannot respond to your comments about how people "shut up when they
see all the useful software they get" -- I could only respond to them if I had
complained in the past and intended to complain in the future.  In any case, I
will simply point out that I do not consider complaints about ridiculously long
delays between submission and posting to be "idiotic."  Furthermore, my level
of dissatisfaction with c.s.u has been pretty constant since I started to
perceive problems.  Therefore, your claim about people shutting up doesn't
quite wash with me.

|> There is no logical argument that will prove one of these theories
|> correct. Correlation does not imply cause. So stop assuming that your
|> whining is the impetus behind further postings in comp.sources.unix.

  I made no such assumption.  I simply pointed out the possibility.

  In my opinion, all of my postings have been reasoned attempts to discuss the
issue.  Your insults about how I'm "whining" and about how the complaints in
this newsgroup are "idiotic" are counterproductive and do not add anything to
the discussion.  Can we please, *please*, PLEASE discuss the ISSUES involved
and stop hurling insults?

|> > And, as I pointed out in the paragraph
|> > which you quote, the six empty months in the last twelve would seem to imply
|> > that the current rate is NOT two packages per week!
|>
|> Jon, other people in this discussion have bothered to check their facts,
|> rather than posting a hundred lines of ``comp.sources.unix *could* be
|> slowing down, so panic panic panic!'' I suggest you gather some relevant
|> statistics before you post further drivel. No offense intended.

  What exactly do you consider <1990Dec3.064608.22544@athena.mit.edu>, Dan?  I
spent a couple hours mucking through the ls-ltR listing on uunet.uu.net to get
the statistics I posted in that message.  Furthermore, when someone claimed
that only "two students at Yale" were protesting the current status of c.s.u,
I spent an hour going through the entire discussion in order to objectively
verify that that claim was just not true.

  I find it amusing that you call my complaints "idiotic" and tell me that I'm
"whining" and tell me that I'm posting "drivel," and then say, "No offense
intended."  No offense taken, Dan, but not because you didn't intend it; I
feel to see how your insults can be intended to do anything but insult.  I
don't take offense at your insults because I stopped long ago expecting people
on the Usenet to be able to discuss things rationally.  I keep hoping, but I
no longer expect my hopes to be fulfilled.

--

horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec10.055351.13221@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>> jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick) writes:
<
<<< Let's deal in some facts, if you please.
<
<< Yes, let's. But let's deal with all of the facts, not just the ones
<< that are convenient for you, OK?
<
<Well, while we're setting rules, let's not make unilateral decisions on
<just what is important about posting software to comp.sources.unix, OK?

Who other than you is doing so?

<<< What's *wrong* with you people? *Two* "fixes" a week aren't
<<< sufficient? Are you addicted to a constant flow of free code, or
<<< what?
<
<< Are you really trying to claim that an average calculation over the
<< entire life of comp.sources.unix (with Rich moderating it) is a valid
<< indication of the actual *current* status of the newsgroup? That's
<< completely ridiculous.
<
<Well, my site's undergone a hardware upgrade this year, but the last
<article count I saw for comp.sources.unix was 501, so at least that many
<postings have hit the group. That doesn't at all look to me like the
<signs of an idle moderator.

What's your point?  It's not clear that that 501 represents current activity
in the group.

>And, strangely enough, there's an article
<currently online in the group for each day of this site's expire time.
<Looks like he's just been _pouring_ sources out, to me.

Take the trouble to look at those articles, and you'll see that they
constitute only one or two packages.  This is a trickle, not a flood.

<< First of all, we've been discussing the chronological (as opposed to
<< qualitative -- I don't think anyone here has challenged Rich's ability
<< to do a very good job on the submissions that *do* get posted)
<< consistency of Rich's moderation.
<
<As was noted by another poster in response to the article with the graph,
<what we see is that the group's output has _always_ been bunchy.

Then maybe we've *always* had a problem!

<Impatient authors have and have always had a multitude of alternate
<publication paths. Some have used them. My site was using trn off an ftp
<site before it came out in c.s.u. It is a fair assumption that authors
<who wait patiently for their software to be posted do so because they
<are willing to trade time for the imprimateur of quality Rich's
<excellent moderation gives the software published through c.s.u.

Who cares about Rich's "imprimateur [_sic_] of quality"?  (By the way, while
you have that twelve-year-old daughter of yours there helping you with
arithmetic, ask her to help you spell `imprimatur'.)  Their sources are
good regardless of what Rich says; I doubt very many are trying to get
prestige by having Rich's name associated with their code.  (And for those
who are, we can create a `comp.sources.imprimatur.rich'.)

<Since the main value of the group is its reputation, and that depends
<entirely on the diligence and probity of the moderator, proposals to go
<to a multi-moderator system or to replace the moderator are quite beside
<the point. I can think of perhaps three other people on the net I'd
<trust with the job, and none of them have stepped forward to offer
<assistance.

Last I checked, this wasn't your net.  And as for "reputation", well, there
you go again with your "unilateral decisions on just what is important about
posting software to comp.sources.unix".  I read the group for sources, not
for "reputation".

<Bingo!  We have a scarce and irreplaceable resource, and aside from the
<false to fact character assassination postings here, he is also being
<abused by overuse.

And how valuable this resource will be if we all leave him alone and nothing
is posted!  After all, its entire value rests in that "imprimatur", huh?

And could you kindly point out a few of those "false to fact character
assassination postings"?  (Get that twelve-year-old to help you with hyphens,
too.)

<< Third, as I have pointed out in another message, it is ludicrous to
<< try to claim two packages are posted to c.s.u per week, when six of
<< the last twelve months have seen *no packages at all* posted to the
<< newsgroup, or at least, not according to what's in the archives on
<< uunet.uu.net.
<
<You slept through your statistics classes, or you took a pass when
<common sense was handed out? That is the biggest set of logical
<contradictions yet posted in this pile of newbie nattering. If there are
<sixteen packages posted every other month, or eight per month, the
<average is the same.

You're the one who needs to take a statistics class.  (Maybe that twelve-year-
old can tutor you.)  Sixteen packages in one burst every two months is not
the same as two packages per week.  By your argument, Rich might as well just
queue it all up and say "There will be 10,400 packages a century from now."

					--Scott

--

In article <1990Dec10.214342.25051@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
> [...]
  [ ... ]
> I hadn't
> suggested it before because I don't really believe it's very likely.
  [ ... ]
>   I agree that it is likely that Rich has not read the complaints.  If he has
> read them, I agree that it is not likely that they have had a major effect on
> his rate of posting to c.s.u.

So why my accusations that you simply don't believe?

Yes, it's conceivable that complaints cause postings to appear in
comp.sources.unix. So what? If the packages are appearing, then they're
appearing. I don't care what the ``causes'' are.

>   I've been steamed about c.s.u ever since I sent him my undel2 package and
> waited six months for it to get posted.

Well, golly gee. My first submission to a professional mathematical
journal was in limbo for two years. This is called industry practice.

You say that some postings go through Rich without change (other than
repackaging). Guess what? A huge number of math papers are published
without change (other than repackaging).

>   What exactly do you consider <1990Dec3.064608.22544@athena.mit.edu>, Dan?

A rather vacuous article that draws no reliable statistical conclusions.
The nearly incomprehensible graph (Tufte strongly recommends a table for
similar situations) doesn't justify your complaints.

>   I find it amusing that you call my complaints "idiotic" and tell me that I'm
> "whining" and tell me that I'm posting "drivel," and then say, "No offense
> intended."  No offense taken, Dan, but not because you didn't intend it; I
> feel to see how your insults can be intended to do anything but insult.

I didn't call your complaints idiotic. I do consider your recent
postings here to be full of whining and drivel, and I've given you
several reasons for my opinion; I don't mean to insult you by giving an
honest evaluation. (That's what ``no offense intended'' means.)

---Dan

In article <1537:Dec1108:31:5790@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>, brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
|> So why my accusations that you simply don't believe?

  As I have already explained, Dan, in the portion of my article you did not
bother to quote, I made no accusations.  I simply stated possibilities.  When
trying to analyze a situation, it is usually a good idea to put all
possibilities, even the ones that you think are less probable, on the table in
order to have a full picture of what's going on.  Here's what I said in the
original article:

>  It is entirely possible that Rich has been reading the discussion in this
>newsgroup, and has posted sources recently because of that discussion.  It is
>entirely possible that the activity of the past week will taper out as it has
>many times in the past, and that we will then see several months with no
>activity at all, despite many items waiting to be posted.  Your assertiong
>that "this week has been active" does nothing whatsoever to belie the claim
>that the TREND has been toward more idle gaps and less activity.

This paragraph was posted in response to a paragraph in which Kent Paul Dolan
claimed that since several messages have been posted in the last week or so,
Rich must be "_pouring_ sources out."  I was trying to point out that such a
generalization based only on the number of postings in the past week, without
considering any other external factors, is not very wise, and I did so by
pointing out just *one* factor that might have affected the number of postings.

|> Yes, it's conceivable that complaints cause postings to appear in
|> comp.sources.unix. So what? If the packages are appearing, then they're
|> appearing. I don't care what the ``causes'' are.

  If complaints are what causes postings to appear, then it logically follows
that in order for postings to continue to appear regularly, we have to
continue complaining.  Perhaps you consider that an acceptable solution; I do
not.  I do not think that people should have to complain before a moderator
does his job.  If you disagree with that, then we'll just have to agree to
disagree.

|> Well, golly gee. My first submission to a professional mathematical
|> journal was in limbo for two years. This is called industry practice.

  Are you equating comp.sources.unix with a professional mathematical journal,
Dan?  Gee, that one rates pretty high up there on the Gilly scale; I'd say
it's at least a centigilly.

  If you think that six months between submission and posting is a reasonable
time lag for comp.sources.unix, then once again, we will have to agree to
disagree, because I do not, for two reasons.  First of all, because the time
lag has been a lot smaller in the past, and second of all, because I believe
that it is possible to reduce the time lag now.

|> You say that some postings go through Rich without change (other than
|> repackaging). Guess what? A huge number of math papers are published
|> without change (other than repackaging).

  Once again, I'm afraid I just don't think the parallel between a printed
mathematics journal and comp.sources.unix is strong enough to make any
comparison worthwhile.  Among other things, you usually have to pay to get a
journal.  Editors of journals are usually paid, nor volunteer workers.
Editors of journals can usually get fired if they aren't doing their jobs.

  My point, which you seem to have either missed or ignored, was in response
to the incredible job that Rich must be doing since so many packages that go
through comp.sources.unix have had major portions rewritten by him.  Well,
I've been watching comp.sources.unix for a long time, and I don't recall
seeing *any* packages with "major portions rewritten by him."  Maybe I just
missed them.  But until the person who made that claim puts up some
statistics, I will not accept it as any sort of evidence of what a wonderful
job Rich does as moderator.

  Mind you, that doesn't mean I don't think he does a good job.  By and large,
I think he does a very good job.  When he gets around to it.

|> >   What exactly do you consider <1990Dec3.064608.22544@athena.mit.edu>, Dan?
|>
|> A rather vacuous article that draws no reliable statistical conclusions.
|> The nearly incomprehensible graph (Tufte strongly recommends a table for
|> similar situations) doesn't justify your complaints.

  Well, gee, Dan, maybe the fact that the graph was "nearly incomprehensible"
is why I presented a table of data right above the graph, so that people who
thought the graph was a bit difficult to read could read the data directly or
use it to produce their own graphs?  It took me ten minutes to produce that
graph once I had the data; I suspect that anyone reading this conversation
who's really interested can find a tool at his/her site to produce a more
readable (i.e. not text-based :-) grap relatively quickly.  If not, they can
read the raw data.

  It seems to me, Dan, that you're just searching for ways to criticize what
I've posted; in particular, your claims that I have not posted "statistics"
seem to be quite specious, especially since I've posted more statistics than
anyone else involved in this discussion.  I took the time to go through all of
the archives and figure out what's been happening for the past few years; no
one else did.  When someone said that only two people have been complaining, I
took the time to go through the entire conversation and verify, objectively,
that this was not the case.

  You accuse my data of drawing "no reliable statistical conclusions," and yet
you defend the conclusions of someone who posts, "There have been an average
of two packages per week by adding together all of the packages on uunet and
dividing by the number of weeks, so there must not be a flow problem?"  That's
laughable, Dan.

  You say that the graph I included doesn't justify my complaints.  I say that
it does.  My first complaint was that output to the newsgroup has been very
irregular.  The graph shows that this is, indeed, the case.  Now you may say,
"But it's always been irregular," tho which I respond, "Then perhaps it's
always been a problem?"  Whether or not it's always been irregular does not
invalidate the complaint or make it impossible for the data/graph to justify
the complain.

  My second complaint is that the delays between submssion and posting are
getting longer.  As I've pointed out several times, the only person who can
verify this statistically is Rich, since he's the only person who knows how
many and how often submissions are received.  However, I've posted several
lines of reasoning which I think show that it is likely that this complaint is
correct.  I don't recall seeing you respond to any of them, so I'll post them
again for your benefit:

  (1) The increasing number of complaints from people who have seen submitted
sources and not had them posted after long delays would seem to imply that
there are more people having this problem, which would seem to imply that
either the delays are getting longer or the number of packages that are
delayed is increasing, or both.

  (2) The net has been growing, and with it, the number of programmers has
been growing.  The source traffic to almost every newsgroup on the net has
been increasing.  It stands to reason, then, that the source submission rate
to c.s.u has been increasing.  Despite that, the posting rate to c.s.u has
*not* been increasing significantly.  If the submission rate goes up but the
posting rate does not, then there must be longer delays.

|> I didn't call your complaints idiotic. I do consider your recent
|> postings here to be full of whining and drivel, and I've given you
|> several reasons for my opinion; I don't mean to insult you by giving an
|> honest evaluation. (That's what ``no offense intended'' means.)

  I have, over and over again, attempted to explain, calmly and using reason,
why I think there is a problem.  I have not called for a lynch mob to hang
Rich.  I have not attempted to win the discussion using emotionalism, or
arguments appealing to the status quo, or arguments appealing to which netters
are "newbies" and which are "not."  I therefore fail to see what I have said
that could be classified as "whining."

  Or is any opinion which disagrees with yours "whining?"  You *know* that
there's no problem in c.s.u, so if someone disagrees with you and thinks that
there is a problem, they must be "whining," is that it?

--

dhartung@chinet.chi.il.us (Dan Hartung) (12/13/90)

chrisb@risky.Convergent.COM (Chris Bertin) writes:
>If Rich Salz posted an article saying
>something like 'I am overworked and I won't be able to look at any of the
>c.s.u submissions for at least n weeks', most people would understand. And
>that should not take that much of his time...

Exactly.  Studies have shown that users get antsy when they push a key and
nothing happens.  On the other hand, GUIs that provide a 'wristwatch' or
'timer' icon let the users know that a response is forthcoming but not
immediately.  They can shuffle papers or sharpen a pencil.

--
:;:;:;:;:;:;:  Daniel A. Hartung         : Disclaimer:
 \|/ \|/ \|/   dhartung@chinet.chi.il.us : My opinions are married to me,
--
:;:;:;:;:;:;:      Daniel A. Hartung     :--------------------------
 \Y/ \Y/ \Y/       ----------------------: dhartung@chinet.chi.il.us

beattie@visenix.UUCP (Brian Beattie) (12/14/90)

In article <8195@uwm.edu> jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu writes:
>From article <27662@cs.yale.edu>, by horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne):
>
>Opinion...
>
>I suggest all you complainers go crawl back under your rocks!

I have kept my mouth shut until now.  But this is fucking outragous.

I think Rich has done a marvelous job in the past.  The problem now
is not the amount of traffic in c.s.u but the length of time it
takes for things to get through.  More than one author has given up
on c.s.u and posted to a.s.  I think it is time for Rich to either
step down as moderator or to find some setup to speed up the process.
More than one person has volunteered to take over the job.  Others
have suggested group moderation.  I think it is time to try something.
I have not said anything before now because I feel that Rich must do
whatever he sees fit.  I only hope that the situation improves before
c.s.u dies completely.

>Irkedly,
>[and yes, that turned into a flame!]
real cute

--
It is easier to build a   | Brian Beattie          (703)471-7552
secure system than it is  | 11525 Hickory Cluster, Reston, VA. 22090

sean@utoday.com (Sean Fulton) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec9.225810.10838@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>In article <1842@utodaycom>, sean@utodaycom (Sean Fulton) writes:
>|> Let me get this straight: The Rich Salz bashers are a couple of
>|> students at Yale; the Rich Salz defenders are mostly professionals who
>|> take time away from making money to contribute to Usenet.
>|>
>|> Does this seem strange to anyone?
>
>  It really, really annoys me when people state untruths which are so easily
>proven false.  Sean, I can't accuse you of lying, because a person can only
>lie if he knows that he is not telling the truth, and I don't know if you
>realize that the statement above just isn't true.  I will therefore simply
>show that it isn't true and let the rest of the net draw its own conclusions.

 [ bunch of statistics deleted ]

>However, even several such misinterpretations
>would not change the fact that there are quite a few more than "a couple
>students at Yale" asking for change in comp.sources.unix.

[ More stuff deleted ]

> Let's try to discuss things reasonably, people?

My comment had little to do with people reasonably discussing the need
for change. My comment was sparked more by a series of nasty, somewhat
belittling notes about a person who *has* contributed a great deal to
the net.

What I *said*, was that the people attacking this individual seemed to
be primarily students, and somewhat impatient ones at that, while
those defending Rich's record seemed to be professionals with a few
more years on the job. True there were nasty comments from
non-students as well, but it appeared at the time that the personal
attacks were started by a couple of people who happened to be
students.

By the way, I would not classify people who are asking for a change in
the moderation of a group as ``bashers'' of the moderator as you did.
``For'' and ``Against'' seem like suitable categories, but to lump
them in with people who make childish attacks on a moderator is really
unfair. I mean, I volunteered in  to help out. Does that
classify *me* as a basher?
--
Sean Fulton					sean@utoday.com
UNIX Today!					(516) 562-5430
 /* The opinions expressed above are not those of my employer */

crs@lanl.gov (Charlie Sorsby) (12/18/90)

I've been following this and related threads off and on for a while
now.

As background, what I "know" about the issues is what I've read
here and what I've observed here and elsewhere on the net.
Further, I've served as a volunteer in an all-volunteer
organization and so I'm rather sensitive to those who bitch about
how it's being done and especially so to those who *only* bitch.

Keep the above statements in mind as I say that my sympathies lie,
largely, with Rich Salz.  Yes, I read that some of you are willing
to help or to take over moderation of the group.  Most of the
antis, however, (no I didn't collect any statistics) seem to be in
the category of *only* bitching.  My observation is that it is,
indeed, *most* -- those whose postings can truly be called
moderator bashing.

Someone else posted an article (I've neither the time nor the
inclination to collect names and reference numbers and article
numbers and--you'll all have to settle for anonymous attribution)
suggesting that there is no scarcity of other groups to which to
submit source if c.s.u is too slow.  Yet someone else mentioned
that he posted to c.s.u because it was the most appropriate group
to which to post his source.

There seem to be those who claim that Rich goes to great trouble to
check submissions to assure their quality.  And there are those who
minimize this or who claim it's counterproductive or...  Some even
claim, as I recall, that he checks for nasties such as trojan horses.
Clearly, I have no way of knowing if Rich does any of this.  I do know
that some good stuff has come through c.s.u.

With this in mind, how about this (probably naive) suggestion:
Since there are some who feel that c.s.u is worth the wait and
others who claim that they want to get their source posted and to
hell with the checking but (some) want an appropriate group, how
about a new group, say alt.sources.unix, with quick turnaround and
not checking for that contingent and leave c.s.u alone for those
who accept it the way it is?

Alternatively, perhaps the existing c.s.u could become
comp.sources.unix.tested and another subgroup called
comp.sources.unix.quick could be formed for those who prefer
speed.

I'm sure that many reasons will be posted to show why this
suggestion is all wet.  Maybe so but I think it is as useful a
suggestion as many, if not most, of the postings about the matter.
Each contingent can have the kind of group they want to post to and
*lots* of net bandwidth will be saved until someone thinks of
something else to bitch about. :)/2

Best,

Charlie Sorsby						"I'm the NRA!"
	crs@lanl.gov
	sorsby@pprg.unm.edu

jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick) (12/18/90)

Clarification:

From article <1990Dec10.073955.28681@athena.mit.edu>, by jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens):

>   Getting back to the subject at hand, I did have some doubt about Dobnick's
> calculations, mainly because I don't think he took into account the fact that
> there's a huge block of sources right in the earliest part of the
> comp.sources.unix archives that were *not* posted while Rich was moderator.
> Although I'm not certain that Dobnick counted those in his calculations, I
> believe that he did; hence, the validity of the statistics were questionable
> in my mind; hence the use of the word "purports."

I took pains to start my count after Rich assumed the moderatorship of
c.s.u.   The exact date was a little fuzzy, (I based it on the documented
moderator in the "index" files in the uunet archives), so I may be off by
a month.  I believe I was accurate to within a single month, however.

I also didn't count (most) items that were obviously "bug fix" patches to
programs, *and* that were labelled as such.  (One or two exceptions may
exist.  I *did* consider a new version to be an independent posting,
though.)

I hope this clarifies things a bit.
--

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (12/18/90)

As quoted from <9193@lanl.gov> by crs@lanl.gov (Charlie Sorsby):
+---------------
| Alternatively, perhaps the existing c.s.u could become
| comp.sources.unix.tested and another subgroup called
| comp.sources.unix.quick could be formed for those who prefer
| speed.
+---------------

It already exists; it's called comp.sources.misc.  And it should soon be back
in business again.

++Brandon, ex-moderator of c.s.misc
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN

response, I sent Sean an E-mail message, since I didn't think that what I had
to say to him was of significant interest to the other participants in this
discussion.  However, the responses which I received from him were so
enlightening and informative that I would like to share them (with his
permission) with the rest of the people in this discussion.  I provide the
conversation below, without comment.

  The mail from Sean doesn't really say much that's relevant to the discussion
of Rich Salz and comp.sources.unix, but it says quite a bit about Mr. Fulton.

  Incidentally, the profanity in Mr. Fulton's message has been censored
slightly to protect the more innocent of the readers of this newsgroup :-).

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 90 16:50:30 -0500
From: Jonathan I. Kamens <jik@pit-manager.MIT.EDU>
To: sean@utoday.com (Sean Fulton)
Cc: jik@pit-manager.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: The responsibilities of volunteers

In article <1850@utoday.com> you write:
|> My comment had little to do with people reasonably discussing the need
|> for change. My comment was sparked more by a series of nasty, somewhat
|> belittling notes about a person who *has* contributed a great deal to
|> the net.
|>
|> What I *said*, was that the people attacking this individual seemed to
|> be primarily students, and somewhat impatient ones at that, while
|> those defending Rich's record seemed to be professionals with a few
|> more years on the job. True there were nasty comments from
|> non-students as well, but it appeared at the time that the personal
|> attacks were started by a couple of people who happened to be
|> students.
|>
|> By the way, I would not classify people who are asking for a change in
|> the moderation of a group as ``bashers'' of the moderator as you did.
|> ``For'' and ``Against'' seem like suitable categories, but to lump
|> them in with people who make childish attacks on a moderator is really
|> unfair. I mean, I volunteered in  to help out. Does that
|> classify *me* as a basher?

  Come on, Sean, you know as well as I do that what you *didn't* say in your
message is as relevant as what you *said*.  Let me examine both of those.
What you said, exactly, was:

|> Let me get this straight: The Rich Salz bashers are a couple of
|> students at Yale; the Rich Salz defenders are mostly professionals who
|> take time away from making money to contribute to Usenet.
|>
|> Does this seem strange to anyone?

  Now, first of all, it is *you* who made the classification into two groups,
"Rich Salz bashers" and "Rich Salz defenders."  You explained nothing about
what you meant by those classifications.  It seems to me that the logical
conclusion to draw are that the "bashers" are those people who have said bad
things about Rich OR ABOUT COMP.SOURCES.UNIX, and the "defenders" are those
people who have defended against such accusations.

  Your use of "the" above, i.e. "*the* Rich Salz bashers" and "*the* Rich Salz
defenders" implies a division into two groups with no groups besides those
two.  Otherwise, you would have said "most of," or perhaps you would have left
out the "the"s.  But you didn't.  My interpretation, and I suspect the
interpretation of most other readers of your message was that you were
"drawing a line," so to speak, and putting people on one side of it or the
other.

  You can try to squirm out of it with quaint rationalizations for what you
said, but the fact remains that what you *said* sounds like you are doing
exactly what I attacked in my response.

  And, in any case, no, I do not think it's true that most of the people who
are attacking Rich are students.  I think I disproved that rather convincingly
in my response.  I also think that your comments about students and
professionals is a Red Herring; I notice that you did not respond to the
portion of my message which pointed that out.  Students contribute as much to
the net as "professionals;" furthermore, students take time out from getting
better grades in their classes in order to contribute to the Usenet.  I find
your attitudes about students vs. professionals on the Usenet to be offensive
and childish.

--

To: uunet!pit-manager.MIT.EDU!jik@uunet.UU.NET (Jonathan I. Kamens)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 7:33:45 EST
From: Sean Fulton <sean@utoday.com>

Listen you boring little f**k, don't *ever* presume to tell me what I
wrote or didn't write. Tell me about your perverted interpretations,
but don't try to tell me what I said.

--
Sean Fulton					sean@utoday.com
UNIX Today!					(516) 562-5430

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 22:23:48 -0500
From: "Jonathan I. Kamens" <jik@pit-manager.MIT.EDU>
Sender: jik@pit-manager.MIT.EDU
To: sean@utoday.com
Subject: The responsibilities of volunteers

   Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 7:33:45 EST
   From: Sean Fulton <sean@utoday.com>

   Listen you boring little fuck, don't *ever* presume to tell me what I
   wrote or didn't write. Tell me about your perverted interpretations,
   but don't try to tell me what I said.

Two things:

  1) You might want to mention to your boss that I have just decided
never to subscribe to "Unix Today!" because of your most recent mail
message.  I don't patronize businesses whose employees are as rude to
me as this.

  2) Do you mind if I quote your last message on the net?  It's just
so informative that I want everyone to be able to see it.

To: uunet!pit-manager.MIT.EDU!jik@uunet.UU.NET (Jonathan I. Kamens)
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 9:09:29 EST
From: Sean Fulton <sean@utoday.com>

	Let me elaborate a bit on my last message.

	1) UNIX Today! has a controlled circulation of 75,000, and a
waiting list of about 6,000. To subscribe, you need to be *qualified*
by our circulation department, which I doubt you have. Even if you had
been and decided not to subscribe, your action would only free a space
for someone on our waiting list.

	2) Please learn to use the word ``patronize'' correctly. Try a
dictionary, that should help.

	3) You are free to post whatever you like, however, net
etiquette would prohibit you from posting obscenities to many of the
groups in which your rantings currently appear. If you were'nt such a
baby, you'd know that.

	4) You're just an insecure ego looking for a cause to fight.
Your last mail tells me this. You have nothing productive to offer, you
fight simply for the thrill of battle.

To: uunet!pit-manager.MIT.EDU!jik@uunet.UU.NET (Jonathan I. Kamens)
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 8:53:39 EST
From: Sean Fulton <sean@utoday.com>

	Jon,
		Grow up. Idle threats are meaningless.

--
Sean Fulton					sean@utoday.com
UNIX Today!					(516) 562-5430

--

oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec20.000421.26816@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu
(Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

>However, the responses which I received from him were so
>enlightening and informative that I would like to share them (with his
>permission) with the rest of the people in this discussion.

Why? What makes you think that we would be interested in a conversation
between you and someone who may have been angered by your postings/mail?
It happens all the time. It is boring.

>... but it says quite a bit about Mr. Fulton.

So? Your postings say a lot about you too! Ah, but your implication
is that Sean's postings and private mail says something presumably negative
about him and perhaps even about the organization Sean works for. On the
other hand, who knows, if you were to run a poll, you may find that other
people think differently.

Oh, what was it you were really trying to say?

oz
---
Where the stream runneth smoothest,   | Internet: oz@nexus.yorku.ca
the water is deepest.  - John Lyly    | UUCP: utzoo/utai!yunexus!oz

dan@kfw.COM (Dan Mick) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec20.000421.26816@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

[ about Sean Fulton being an asshole ]

Gee, Sean, that's impressive.  Did *you* look up patronize, for instance?
That's what it means.  And you're a writer by trade, a wordsmith.

What a pathetic idiot it is, he who brings up irrelevant flames in
his professional area of specialty, *and gets them wrong*.

You've told me more about Sean Fulton than I've ever imagined, Jonathan...