[news.admin] Network Operations discussion group

dcrocker@dcrocker.pa.dec.com (Dave Crocker) (12/28/90)

At Interop, this Fall, a birds-of-a-feather session about network management
surfaced a general desire for an online forum for discussing the realities
of operating TCP/IP (and other) networks.  Such a forum is pointedly
different from technology-related discussions, such as the ones for SNMP,
which focus on one or more components or tools.

this.  To have yourself or a local redistributor added to the list,
please send a note to NET-OPS-REQUEST@DECWRL.DEC.COM.

The list is unmoderated.  It is intended for professional use, among those
in the Internet attempting to operate actual open systems networks, such as
those using TCP/IP, and those attempting to understand the process of
operating
such networks.  The inclusion of "commercial content" is assumed to be
inappropriate, unless the group discussion develops a desire to hear about
product features.

Dave

jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) (12/29/90)

In article <1990Dec27.193143.29173@pa.dec.com>, dcrocker@dcrocker.pa.dec.com (Dave Crocker) wrote the following:
>At Interop, this Fall, a birds-of-a-feather session about network management
>surfaced a general desire for an online forum for discussing the realities
>of operating TCP/IP (and other) networks.  Such a forum is pointedly
>different from technology-related discussions, such as the ones for SNMP,
>which focus on one or more components or tools.

I definitely agree and have thought this was needed for some time.  I have
even posted a few articles in news.groups to see if anyone was interested
in creating a newsgroup for this purpose.  I didn't get any responses, but
that really shouldn't be too suprising considering that I didn't cross-post
to this newsgroup.  There is a large difference between discussing the
inards of the tcp-ip suite and discussing how to set up bind or how slip
should be set up.  These things have been discussed in this group, but I
don't think they belong here.  They also don't belong in comp.unix.admin
(another group that such subjects get posted to) - at least the non-unix
specific parts don't.  What about creating a newsgroup for this type
of posting instead of a mailing list?

--
      Jesse W. Asher                             Phone: (901)382-1609
               6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134