[news.admin] FIDONET ate my newsgroup!

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (01/06/91)

In article <1039@lclark.UUCP> dan@lclark.UUCP (Dan Revel) writes:
>How come all of a sudden all the messages in this newsgroup are FIDONET
>encapsulated?  I've seen lots of Tim's posting before and they never looked
>like this!  Sorry if this isn't the right newsgroup for this question, but
>I saw it here first...

Some Fidonet bozo in Columbus is stripping the message ids from messages,
assigning new local message ids, and then dumping them back onto the
network -- hence the several dozen duplicate messages yesterday.

I have to say that I have yet to see Fido gateways to USENET doing
anything but hurting the quality of newsgroups, and I wonder if there
should be a policy against such gateways.  If you think there's a lot
of pointless blather on USENET, try a Fido echo sometime.

"Someone to flame us, someone to follow,
 Someone to shame us, some brave Apollo!
 Someone to rule us.  Someone like you.
 We want you, Big Brother." -- David Bowie, "Big Brother"

molenda@s1.msi.umn.edu (Jason Molenda) (01/06/91)

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) writes:

>I have to say that I have yet to see Fido gateways to USENET doing
>anything but hurting the quality of newsgroups, and I wonder if there
>should be a policy against such gateways.  If you think there's a lot
>of pointless blather on USENET, try a Fido echo sometime.

new usenet administrators do new and weird things to the net all the
time.  It usually isn't malicious and once they know of the problem
the problem ceases.  But we don't go around saying that new usenet
administrators shouldn't be allowed to join usenet.

People make mistakes.  No point in trying to lynch them or restrict
the software they're using just because of an occasional mistake from
a new sysadmin.

  -jason
--
Jason Molenda, Tech Support, Iris & News Admin, Minnesota Supercomputer Inst
molenda@s1.msi.umn.edu || molenda%msi.umn.edu@umnacvx.bitnet

In article <14583@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>In article <1039@lclark.UUCP> dan@lclark.UUCP (Dan Revel) writes:
>>How come all of a sudden all the messages in this newsgroup are FIDONET
>>encapsulated?  I've seen lots of Tim's posting before and they never looked
>>like this!  Sorry if this isn't the right newsgroup for this question, but
>>I saw it here first...
>
>Some Fidonet bozo in Columbus is stripping the message ids from messages,
>assigning new local message ids, and then dumping them back onto the
>network -- hence the several dozen duplicate messages yesterday.
>
>I have to say that I have yet to see Fido gateways to USENET doing
>anything but hurting the quality of newsgroups, and I wonder if there
>should be a policy against such gateways.  If you think there's a lot
>of pointless blather on USENET, try a Fido echo sometime.

Are you saying that there have never been similiar technical problems with
USENet sites using NNTP or UUCP instead of Fido?  Or are you commenting on
something completely unrelated and implying that this techincal problem is
an example of the depravity of FIDO?