[news.admin] trn and the new Amiga groups

I've received several complaints from comp.sys.amiga.* subscribers that
the new newsgroups have no threads when read with trn. This is just a
reminder that sites that have chosen to use the option in trn for
newsgroup by newsgroup control of thread or non-thread style reading
need to turn on the building of the thread database for the new groups
before they will appear threaded in trn.

User/subscribers are invited/directed/requested/implored to refer to
your local news software maintainer, rather than clutter the newsgroups
or my mailbox with complaints that the new newsgroups are "broken". The
problem is at your site, not mine or anyone elses, so sending out for
help is likely to be singularly futile.

This is part of a more general directive: look for help at your site
_before_ going out to the net. However much easier it is to type in and
mail or post a complaint than to run down an actual responsible human
being, it is a bloody nuisance to do so when no one on the net has a
thing to do with your problem, and you haven't even bothered to exert
yourself to try a much more likely approach.

Don't become so dependent on the net to solve your every little problem
that it leaves you crippled for more normal problem solving techniques.
There is a real world out there that requires you to be able to interact
with human beings face to face; don't work so hard avoiding the chance
to learn how.

Grrr. Many thanks.

                                                           /// It's Amiga
                                                          /// for me:  why
Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
--
Convener, COMPLETED comp.sys.amiga grand reorganization.

csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan11.031321.12346@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>There is a real world out there that requires you to be able to interact
>with human beings face to face

I know. Horrible, isn't it? I'm counting on the virtual reality people
to solve this problem soon. In the meantime, all we can do is avoid
these "human beings" (what an unpleasant sound *that* has) as much
as possible.

>Grrr. Many thanks.

Grrr. You're welcome.

--
Style without Substance

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (01/13/91)

According to xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan):
>This is just a reminder that sites that have chosen to use the option in
>trn for newsgroup by newsgroup control of thread or non-thread style
>reading need to turn on the building of the thread database for the new
>groups before they will appear threaded in trn.

Trn administrators: If you wish to enable threads by default for new
groups, run "mthreads" with the "-a" option.  (Beta versions of trn
had this behavior by default, which, IMHO, was a better choice.)
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
       "If Usenet exists, then what is its mailing address?"  -- me