[news.admin] trn: is an article read or unread?

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) (01/12/91)

I keep getting this kind of thing form trn:

    ********   1 unread article  in comp.windows.open-look--read now? [+ynq] y

    No unread articles to select.

    ********   1 unread article  in comp.mail.misc--read now? [+ynq]

    No unread articles to select.

    ********   1 unread article  in misc.consumers--read now? [+ynq]

    No unread articles to select.

Can anyone tell me whether this is a bug, and if so, how to fix it?

--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@omni.com

davison%borla@kithrup.com (01/14/91)

> I keep getting this kind of thing from trn:
>
>     ********   1 unread article  in comp.windows.open-look--read now? [+ynq]
>
>     No unread articles to select.
>[...]
> Can anyone tell me whether this is a bug, and if so, how to fix it?

The way to tell if it is a bug is to check to see if the spool directory
for the group corresponds with the min/max numbers for the group in the
active file, and if so, is trn not showing one or more articles that
exist in the spool directory and active file?  Probably not.

What I'd guess is actually the problem is that you're running an old copy
of B news that sets the min field equal to the maximum for an empty group.
Thus, trn believes that the group has one article in it by looking at the
active file, yet when it attempts to access the group's thread data, nothing
is there.  The fix for this is to upgrade your news software to either a
newer version of B news or to C news.
--
 \  /| / /|\/ /| /(_)     Wayne Davison
(_)/ |/ /\|/ / |/  \      0004475895@mcimail.com (preferred)

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) (01/19/91)

In article <5J1qV1w163w@borla.UUCP> davison%borla@kithrup.com writes:
-> I keep getting this kind of thing from trn:
->
->     ********   1 unread article  in comp.windows.open-look--read now? [+ynq]
->
->     No unread articles to select.
->[...]
-> Can anyone tell me whether this is a bug, and if so, how to fix it?
-
-The way to tell if it is a bug is to check to see if the spool directory
-for the group corresponds with the min/max numbers for the group in the
-active file, and if so, is trn not showing one or more articles that
-exist in the spool directory and active file?  Probably not.
-
-What I'd guess is actually the problem is that you're running an old copy
-of B news that sets the min field equal to the maximum for an empty group.
-Thus, trn believes that the group has one article in it by looking at the
-active file, yet when it attempts to access the group's thread data, nothing
-is there.  The fix for this is to upgrade your news software to either a
-newer version of B news or to C news.

This is close.  Actually, I'm running B news 2.11.19.  The problem
began when, having heard "you can run C news expire with B news",
I installed C news expire.

The difference in expiration time was impressive, but unfortunately,
C news expire fails to update the minimum-article-number field in the
active file.  This is what was causing my problem.  I've returned to
B news expire until I have time to waste figuring this all out.

Anyway, it has nothing to do with trn.

Thanks to those of you who offered help.  You were all wrong, but
it's the thought that counts.  :-)