[news.admin] Buffalo Wings

njs@scifi.uucp (Nicholas J. Simicich;?) (01/29/91)

Back at the beginning of December, I posted a recipe for Buffalo
Wings.  It was a good recipe, and someone else thought so, because
they saved it, and when someone asked for help making buffalo wings,
they posted a collection of recipes which included my posting, and its
headers, following a control-L.

I'm not sure what is happening.  I got a note from Melissa of JPL,
asking "Why does this get posted over and over again?"  I thought that
it was a good recipe and that maybe she was complaining because a
couple of people had reposted it, but no, she was complaining because
many sites had decided that this part of another posting was in fact a
separate posting, and had applied a new article ID to the posting and
started it off again.

I don't know what to do about this.  I suspect it is too late.  I
might consider issuing cancels against about a hundred of these wild
articles since they appear to come from me, and hope that some folks
are happier.  I've cross posted to news.software.b in the hopes that
someone can determine what is going on.

Is this a known error and just a down level site (or several)?  Can
someone explain it to me?

(To the folks in rec.food.cooking, I apologize, but I really didn't
post it a hundred times...)

--
Nick Simicich - uunet!bywater!scifi!njs - njs@ibm.com
SSI #AOWI 3958, HSA 318

campbell@acsu.buffalo.edu (roger campbell) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan29.030040.26170@scifi.uucp> njs@scifi.uucp (Nicholas J. Simicich;?) writes:
>Back at the beginning of December, I posted a recipe for Buffalo
>Wings.
>
>I'm not sure what is happening.  I got a note from Melissa of JPL,
>asking "Why does this get posted over and over again?"  I thought that
>
>Is this a known error and just a down level site (or several)?  Can
>someone explain it to me?
>
>(To the folks in rec.food.cooking, I apologize, but I really didn't
>post it a hundred times...)
>
>--
>Nick Simicich - uunet!bywater!scifi!njs - njs@ibm.com
>SSI #AOWI 3958, HSA 318

Nick, and everyone else,
     It does seem to be a down-level site problem, one of the nodes seems
to hiccup and send out multiples.  It's not just the chicken wing and
related stuff, I'm getting multiples on a number of other postings also.
It does however, seem to be only the rec.food.* stuff, at least as I see
it here.  None of the other groups I read are showing this problem.
    Maybe some net administrator could trace this down, and determine
which site is having the problem.....
    In the meantime, Nick, I know it's not your fault.  Folks, don't get
on Nick's back over this, he isn't the culprit.  In the mean-time,

             use your KILL file.

    ..There is no indigestion worse than that which comes
            from having to eat your own words.

    Roger Campbell       State Univ. of New York at Buffalo
                         (716) 636-3547

     BITNET: CAMPBELL@UBVM
   INTERNET: campbell@acsu.buffalo.edu

glass@vixvax.mgi.com (William H. Glass) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.030040.26170@scifi.uucp>, njs@scifi.uucp (Nicholas J. Simicich;?) writes:

> I'm not sure what is happening.  I got a note from Melissa of JPL,
> asking "Why does this get posted over and over again?"  I thought that
> it was a good recipe and that maybe she was complaining because a
> couple of people had reposted it, but no, she was complaining because
> many sites had decided that this part of another posting was in fact a
> separate posting, and had applied a new article ID to the posting and
> started it off again.

What you've just done is to conduct a survey of how many sites run ANU-NEWS
(my site is one of the offenders).  ANU-NEWS has a little feature to deal with
articles processed through VMS MAIL.  If the program sees a form feed
(Control-L) followed immediately by "From:", it believes that it is starting
a new article.  The "article" of course doesn't have a Message-ID, but
some releases of ANU-NEWS have a bug that allows the program to make up
a new one.  At that point, you now have created a new article, and it starts
its way around the net.

Those of us who run ANU-NEWS are aware of the problem, and we're trying to
get it fixed.  However, it takes a while for all sites to convert to a new
release, so I expect that there will continue to be problems like this
on occasion for some time.

--

William H. Glass                        Internet: glass@mgi.com
Management Graphics, Inc.               Phone:    +1 (612) 854-1220