[news.admin] alt.sex.pictures and the Internet

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (02/18/91)

I sometimes think it'd be a Good Thing if the Internet dropped out of
the mail and news routing business. It'd give people an incentive to
fix the long-standing problems with UUCP mail and the black holes in
the UUCP maps.

I usually think this after some bonehead agressive rerouter has managed
to get mail I sent to California bounced off a site in Czechoslovakia.
I've, reluctantly, given up keeping a full set of maps and started
relying on the Internet to handle routing outside of Texas.

The rest of the time I'm quite aware of the negative consequences of
this event, so don't bother reminding me of them. Oh well...
--
               (peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com)
   `-_-'

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (02/19/91)

[Peter, this is a bit of a cynical reply, probably more biting than it
should be, and it's not really directed to you..]

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>I sometimes think it'd be a Good Thing if the Internet dropped out of
>the mail and news routing business. It'd give people an incentive to
>fix the long-standing problems with UUCP mail and the black holes in
>the UUCP maps.

 I sometimes think it'd be a Good Thing if all the phone companies
were to leave the telephone business.  It'd give people an incentive
to improve the postal service and air travel systems.

Does the phrase, ``Builds Character'' mean anything to anyone?

>[...]
>I've, reluctantly, given up keeping a full set of maps and started
>relying on the Internet to handle routing outside of Texas.

The UUCP map mechanism is in bad need of replacement, so that we might
better deal with the Internet.

Happy President's Day,

--
Eliot Lear