[news.admin] Bogus group alert!

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (02/25/91)

(followups to news.admin)

In article <cm9VX1w161w@nstar.rn.com> tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) writes:

>Try comp.sys.amiga.unix . . . which supposedly is where all your answers are
>to be found, and more (I'm still having trouble getting it).

There's a very good reason you're having trouble getting it:  It's a
bogus group.  Someone forged some newgroup messages before the
re-organization went through completely, and this group resulted from
one of them.  Ask your system administrator to remove this group.

The proper group for discussing Unix for the Amiga is comp.unix.amiga.
This one passed properly, and should be created everywhere.  If you
don't have this group, ask your administrator to create it.

Amazingly (or not so amazingly), there are still a lot of sites out
there that do not have the Amiga newsgroups configured properly.  I've
been quietly trying to straighten things out via e-mail, but perhaps
something a little more drastic is called for at this point.

I would like all you users and adminstrators out there to make sure that
your sites are configured properly.  Make sure that your site has all of
the valid Amiga newsgroups, and doesn't have any of the invalid groups.
There is a list of the non-regional Amiga newsgroups at the end of this
message.

If your site has any (non-regional) groups with "amiga" in the name
that are not on the list, please ask your system administrator to
remove them.  In particular, make sure that your site does not have
comp.sys.amiga or comp.sys.amiga.tech.  These were both removed.

If your site is missing any of the groups (except, perhaps, the alt
groups), please ask your system adminstrator to create the missing
groups.  If your system administrator says, "Oh, I'm not in charge of
that," then ask him or her who is in charge.

One final glitch:  There is a site somewhere that is automatically
taking articles posted to comp.sys.amiga.advocacy and throwing them
into comp.sys.amiga.misc (this explains why the flame-off twixt
amigoids and ST-oids wouldn't stay in .advocacy).  The path of one of
the messages (id <1991Feb22.014212.681@NCoast.ORG>) that got its group
changed was:

ucdavis!csus.edu!wuarchive!cs.utexas.edu!hellgate.utah.edu!csn!ncar!
gatech!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!ncoast!davewt.

Does anyone know how to figure out where this problem is originating?
Personally, I suspect gatech as the culprit, since it is an important
node and it is near the origin of the message.

Thanks everyone, for the help.  Just because we're an anarchy doesn't
mean we have to descend into chaos.

The new groups are:

comp.sys.amiga.misc
comp.sys.amiga.programmer
comp.sys.amiga.announce     (moderated by zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu)
comp.sys.amiga.reviews      (moderated by HONP9@menudo.uh.edu)
comp.sys.amiga.introduction
comp.sys.amiga.audio
comp.sys.amiga.graphics
comp.sys.amiga.marketplace
comp.sys.amiga.multimedia
comp.sys.amiga.applications
comp.sys.amiga.emulations
comp.sys.amiga.advocacy
comp.sys.amiga.datacomm
comp.unix.amiga

Groups remaining from before are:

comp.sys.amiga.games
comp.sys.amiga.hardware
comp.sources.amiga      (moderated by tadguy@ab20.larc.nasa.gov)
comp.binaries.amiga     (moderated by tadguy@ab20.larc.nasa.gov)
alt.sources.amiga

Two groups announced 2/5/91:

alt.sys.amiga.uucp
alt.sys.amiga.uucp.patches

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.