[news.admin] Comp.sources.unix and replacing Rich Salz

lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair) (11/27/90)

Well, it's happened again.  Less than 2 days after I called for someone to
replace Rich Salz, he dribbled out a little more software.  I'M SICK OF IT!
Alright!  You want to play that way?  I'm going to start posting a call for
Rich's replacement weekly.  Even if no one steps forward, at least we'll
get something out of c.s.u.

Let's get real here, huh?
--
Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb@vicom.com

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (11/28/90)

Larry, if you're so fed up with Rich Salz, instead of bothering us on
a weekly basis, why don't YOU volunteer to replace him?  Better yet,
why don't you offer him a job to maintain the group?  Actually, I
wouldn't mind seeing my USENIX dollars spent in this area...

--
Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]

pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) (11/28/90)

lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair) writes:
|Alright!  You want to play that way?  I'm going to start posting a call for
|Rich's replacement weekly.  Even if no one steps forward, at least we'll
|get something out of c.s.u.

perhaps a more definite course of action could be suggested.

since lmb appears to be the most vocal detractor of the current state of
affairs he could:

1) contact the net management (woods, lear, spafford, the moderators, uunet)
   and see what they think would be a resonable plan of action and then
   discuss this in news.admin.
2) bring it up at the next usenet bof (in jan.) or nntp-managers or both.
3) simply call for a new group.

the above alternatives are simply unordered suggestions that might lead
to some definite progress.  i do think c.s.u could stand some improvement
but i'm not yet ready to characterize rich as malfeasant.

--
pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!pjg / pjg@ubvms (Bitnet)
opinions found above are mine unless marked otherwise.

billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) (11/28/90)

I'm getting sick of all the people trashing Rich Salz here.

comp.sources.unix has consistently produced the best software of any
of the sources groups.  This is primarily due to Rich.  He takes a
lot of care in moderating the group.  Admittedly, the delays have
been getting longer than they probably should but these attacks are
getting undeservedly vicious.

It kind of reminds me of when I worked as a dishwasher at Disneyland.
We washed pots by hand.  I got the pots clean but I got in trouble
because I didn't do it quickly enough.  My lead (read: foreman) showed
me how to do it *right*: he didn't get the pots clean.  He just sprayed
them off with the high pressure sprayer and put them on the shelf and
announced: "we're done".  They still had crud all over them.  In fact,
that was the way he and all the other dishwashers did it all the time.
If I didn't do it that way I got yelled at.  I'm glad I managed to
change to busboy after two weeks.  I have a problem with doing a job
halfway.

Larry, if you can do just as good a job of choosing and testing software
had Rich has and do it more quickly then I suggest that you offer to
take over the job of moderator.  Otherwise, quit whining.  It's getting
tedious and boring.

--Bill Davidson
"My God!  I'm living in a Stephen King movie!" -- Murphy Brown

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov27.075737.16836@vicom.com> lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair) writes:
>Well, it's happened again.  Less than 2 days after I called for someone to
>replace Rich Salz, he dribbled out a little more software.  I'M SICK OF IT!

Larry's sure right about that, I think there's something at bbn.com that
tickles something at uunet.uu.net that lets something else struggle out of
the barrier from Sha-Ka-Ree.

Heck Larry, calm down, you're performing a useful service.  Around Pipe Creek
Texas you have the reputation of being the cybernetic laxative.  You bitch,
c.s.u evacuates.  I like it!  You got cron on that system? :-)

>Alright!  You want to play that way?  I'm going to start posting a call for
>Rich's replacement weekly.  Even if no one steps forward, at least we'll
>get something out of c.s.u.

Naw, don't do it weekly, let's get together on a really creative crontab
entry.  Let's _all_ pitch in and keep Rich running for cover, Larry's stuff
works!  By golly, when he twists Rich's tail, some stuff does indeed cough
loose.  Please don't get angry Larry, you're the one who makes it work.  I
must also confess that I don't agree with a call for R$ replacement, but I
don't mind a bit supporing Larry's efforts to coax pearls out of that oyster.
Let's keep Rich and let's keep Larry Blair, they work together to the
collective benefit of the net.

There's an absence of smileys, intentional; there's also no sarcasm implied
or intended.  We've found out how to make the system work, let's use it.

>Let's get real here, huh?
>--
>Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb@vicom.com

I hope that no one feels upset by my remarks, I mean them as written.  It's
a near perfect Newtonian phenomenon.  Larry bitches, Rich delivers.  Works
for me!  Seriously Larry, you're doing good for the rest of us.  When you're
ready to level your sights on Rich, point 'em this way and blaze away.  When
you're cooled off enough to twist his tail, do that too.  When you do that
we all benefit.  Once again for anyone who has forgotten, I'm _not_ being
sarcastic.  Hasn't every one of us accepted a fix that just didn't seem
perfect?
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {att,cs.utexas.edu,pyramid!daver}!ssbn.wlk.com!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM   or attmail!ssbn!bill

gmp@rayssd.ssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov27.075737.16836@vicom.com> lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair) writes:
> Well, it's happened again.  Less than 2 days after I called for someone to
> replace Rich Salz, he dribbled out a little more software.  I'M SICK OF IT!

The funny thing is that Rich promised some several months ago that if
the newsgroup suffered another dry spell, he'd resign.  I'd say it's
been suffering one hell of a dry spell and it's time for Rich to admit
that he can't do the job and resign as promised.  (Rich, no need to
wait for the net to elect a new moderator; nobody's going to notice any
difference when you resign -- as long as the moderator's address is
changed to /dev/null. :-( )

The people I don't understand are the Rabid Salz Defenders.  The
newsgroup has been next to worthless for well more than a year now.
How can they defend the job he's been doing?  One may like the guy
personally, fine, but please recognize that he's been doing nothing,
effectively, for comp.sources.unix for a long time.

--

Greg Paris <gmp@quahog.ssd.ray.com>        {uiucdcs,uunet}!rayssd!gmp

In article <10820@rayssd.ssd.ray.com> gmp@quahog.ssd.ray.com (Greg Paris) writes:
>The people I don't understand are the Rabid Salz Defenders.  The
>newsgroup has been next to worthless for well more than a year now.
>How can they defend the job he's been doing?  One may like the guy
>personally, fine, but please recognize that he's been doing nothing,
>effectively, for comp.sources.unix for a long time.

They defend in reaction to attack.  USENET doesn't work the way it is
implied that you think it does.  People who work to build usenet do things,
but they have no duty to do so.   To *not* do something is not a negative
thing.   So complaints that "these damn volunteers aren't working as hard
as I think they should for me" are not always taken well.

People want to hear constructive comments about what you are going to *do*
about something, not what you don't like about it.  (Of course, that has
never stopped people from yammering away about what they don't like :-))

If you can't *do*, we may not be so keen on having you teach.   That's the
way USENET works.  Those who put their time and effort and resources into
doing things are the people who make and control the network.  If you are
not willing to put those things in, you get no say.

billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) (11/29/90)

In article <10820@rayssd.ssd.ray.com> gmp@quahog.ssd.ray.com (Greg Paris) writes:
>The people I don't understand are the Rabid Salz Defenders.  The
>newsgroup has been next to worthless for well more than a year now.
>How can they defend the job he's been doing?  One may like the guy
>personally, fine, but please recognize that he's been doing nothing,
>effectively, for comp.sources.unix for a long time.

I assume you mean people like me.

In the last year he's posted about 40-50 software packages accounting for
about 7 megabytes of compressed archives (based upon a du of my archive
directories).  Many of these packages are extremely useful (perl, nn
gawk, sc, flex, vixie-cron, and others).  I wouldn't call that next to
worthless.

I admit that it would be nice if things could be sped up but I'm not
terribly worried.  I don't need to get a fix on new sources every
week.  I have real work to do and usenet itself is enough of a
distraction as it is.

--Bill Davidson

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (11/29/90)

In article <10820@rayssd.ssd.ray.com> gmp@quahog.ssd.ray.com (Greg Paris) writes:
>The people I don't understand are the Rabid Salz Defenders.  The
>newsgroup has been next to worthless for well more than a year now.
>How can they defend the job he's been doing?

Their arguments, if I understand them correctly, are twofold: (1)
c.s.u may not pass much, but what it does pass is of the highest
quality and rigorously tested, which makes the group valuable as is; and
(2) detractors don't always seem to understand that moderating is hard
work.

I guess the question is whether there's really so little high-quality
software being released that c.s.u's meager flow is sufficient.
Moderating certainly IS hard work -- the kind that engenders burnout.
There's nothing dishonorable about that, but for the good of the net
it's important to recognize when it happens.  Let's put it this way: how
would we know if the c.s.u. moderator WAS burned out?  What would it
look like, and how would that be different from what we have now?

I would not want to pass the duty to someone less capable than Rich, nor
would I want to piss him off to where he wouldn't consider doing it
again in a couple of years.  But is there no way to settle on an
amicable rotation?

rabe@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (brett m rabe; Jiffy Script Inc.) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov28.214659.26551@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>In article <10820@rayssd.ssd.ray.com> gmp@quahog.ssd.ray.com (Greg Paris) writes:
>>The people I don't understand are the Rabid Salz Defenders.
>
>They defend in reaction to attack.  USENET doesn't work the way it is
>implied that you think it does.  People who work to build usenet do things,
>but they have no duty to do so.   To *not* do something is not a negative
>thing.   So complaints that "these damn volunteers aren't working as hard
>as I think they should for me" are not always taken well.

Brad, where do you get this crap?  To *not* fulfill ANY position of
responsibility, regardless of its status as "volunteer" or "paid" or
whatever, certainly IS negative, especially when it is leading to
as much frustration as c.s.u has recently.  ESPECIALLY when there are
people out there that are happy to take over the moderator position.

I don't know R $alz.  I don't dislike him.  But I have heard story
after story from people who don't get even so much as a 1 line note
from him when they submit something letting them know that he got
it.  He apparently doesn't even have the courtesy to say "I got
your submission, I'm buried over my neck in work right now, I'll
look at it sometime in the future."  Apparently, he just doesn't
even give people that much, which sure as hell wouldn't take a lot
of time out of his work day.

>If you can't *do*, we may not be so keen on having you teach.

I can't take the job of moderator.  I don't have the competency
needed to test the various programs and make sure that they are
reliable enough to be released.  That is at least one thing that
I can respect in $alz.  But, from what I have been reading, there
are at least a few people out there who are qualified who are
willing to do the job.  Why not let them?  If they intend to
increase the flow of the newsgroup, and they're competent, and
Rich $alz is really so overworked that he just can't moderate
the group, what's the hassle?

>--
>Brad Templeton, ClariNet Communications Corp. -- Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

bmr

--
brett michael rabe: Phone-> 507/645-9387 Snailmail: Brett M. Rabe
  rabe@{cs, math, acc}.stolaf.edu                   100 N. Lincoln

chris@utgard.uucp (Chris Anderson) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.172427.11437@acc.stolaf.edu> rabe@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (brett m rabe; Jiffy Script Inc.) writes:
>Brad, where do you get this crap?  To *not* fulfill ANY position of
>responsibility, regardless of its status as "volunteer" or "paid" or
>whatever, certainly IS negative, especially when it is leading to
>as much frustration as c.s.u has recently.  ESPECIALLY when there are
>people out there that are happy to take over the moderator position.

Where are they?  Comp.sources.misc has had an opening for a new
moderator for a month now.  I haven't seen this flood of qualified
volunteers taking that over.  Seems like people are quick to bitch,
but not so quick to help out.  Big surprise, eh?

>I don't know R $alz.  I don't dislike him.  But I have heard story
>after story from people who don't get even so much as a 1 line note
>from him when they submit something letting them know that he got
>it.  He apparently doesn't even have the courtesy to say "I got
>your submission, I'm buried over my neck in work right now, I'll
>look at it sometime in the future."  Apparently, he just doesn't
>even give people that much, which sure as hell wouldn't take a lot
>of time out of his work day.

Really.  Do you know how many submissions that he gets?  Or how long
it takes to get one ready for comp.sources.unix?  I routinely see
submissions that have had major pieces rewritten by Rich.  All this
and a regular work-day too.  And people sending him mail regarding
this or that.  "Could you send me pieces 1,4,9,10,11 (except for foo.h)
of big-release-2.0?"  I'm amazed that he has time to sleep, much less
answer mail.

>I can't take the job of moderator.  I don't have the competency
>needed to test the various programs and make sure that they are
>reliable enough to be released.  That is at least one thing that
>I can respect in $alz.  But, from what I have been reading, there
>are at least a few people out there who are qualified who are
>willing to do the job.  Why not let them?  If they intend to
>increase the flow of the newsgroup, and they're competent, and
>Rich $alz is really so overworked that he just can't moderate
>the group, what's the hassle?

Where are they?  You can't do it, I can't do it, Joe Blow can't
do it.  But we can sure bitch about it!  I've yet to see anybody
*seriously* say that they were willing to help out who had the
time, skills, and resources to do so.  I'm sure that Rich would
appreciate anybody who did.  Jeez, people, get off his back.

Chris
|  Chris Anderson, QMA, Inc.      utgard!chris@csusac.csus.edu  |
|      My employer doesn't listen to me... why should you?      |

horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (11/30/90)

<
<They defend in reaction to attack.  USENET doesn't work the way it is
<implied that you think it does.  People who work to build usenet do things,
<but they have no duty to do so.   To *not* do something is not a negative
<thing.   So complaints that "these damn volunteers aren't working as hard
<as I think they should for me" are not always taken well.

Oh, come *on*!  Sitting on sources for a week is one thing; sitting on
sources for a year is quite another.  I'm sure Rich is a nice guy, and he
did a good job when he was moderating the group, but he effectively no longer
moderates it.  He's just holding up the exchange of sources.

I'm unpleasantly surprised at his selfishness.  He won't post anything until
someone asks for another moderator, whereupon he posts a couple of sources
just so that he can justify holding the reins.

<People want to hear constructive comments about what you are going to *do*
<about something, not what you don't like about it.

Constructive comments?  How about this one:  Get a new moderator.  Hell,
even removing moderation altogether would be better than letting Rich
guarantee that nothing gets posted to `comp.sources.unix':  Sure, a lot of
net.trash would be posted, but at least some sources could get out.
(_N.B._:  I'm not suggesting that `comp.sources.unix' be made unmoderated,
so don't waste your time and mine with silly flames.)

<If you can't *do*, we may not be so keen on having you teach.

If you can't *do*, we may not be so keen on having you prevent others from
doing.  This isn't your network; it belongs to all of us.  Others can do;
let them.

>That's the
<way USENET works.  Those who put their time and effort and resources into
<doing things are the people who make and control the network.  If you are
<not willing to put those things in, you get no say.

Oh, and what "say" do those who are willing to put in sources get?
Rich Salz is here for the net; the net isn't here for Rich Salz.

					--Scott

--
Scott Horne                               ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!horne
horne@cs.Yale.edu      SnailMail:  Box 7196 Yale Station, New Haven, CT   06520

johnan@mchale.ism.isc.com (John Antypas) (12/01/90)

While Rich may be unable to handle the archives, it should be noted that
Rich does not, in fact, earn his living from this.  USENET is a cooperative
net.  Perhaps we could achived the on-demand response people want if we
starting earning some cash from it -- say by charging by the packet like
CSNet or with hook-up costs like Internet.  In short, you get what you pay
for.  If Rich is unable to do this for us, he's most likely simply got
too much WORK to do.  If we don't like it, perhaps we could either:

- Come up with a way to hire Rich full time to do this job
- Come up with a way to lesten the load on Rich *AND* other future
  moderators.

USENET, despite what some people think, is not free, and the costs are
not those of a call to UUNet et al.
John Antypas / Interactive Systems Corp. .!uunet!ism!johnan johnan@ism.isc.com
All statements belong to author.

"Help!  I've crashed -- and I can't reboot!!" -- oracle@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

vandys@sequent.uucp (Andrew Valencia) (12/01/90)

chris@utgard.uucp (Chris Anderson) writes:
>Where are they?  Comp.sources.misc has had an opening for a new
>moderator for a month now.  I haven't seen this flood of qualified
>volunteers taking that over.  Seems like people are quick to bitch,
>but not so quick to help out.  Big surprise, eh?

I'm a little confused.  I immediately sent mail offering my services.
I received mail back indicating that 16-odd people had applied for the
job.  Since I wasn't hot on some sort of competition (I just wanted to
see the job continue to be done), I offered to withdraw.  That's the
last I heard.  If all 16 people pulled out, you know where to find me :-).
Otherwise, I expect the bottleneck lies elsewhere.  Maybe it's not so
easy handing off moderator's job....

					Just my opinions,
					Andy Valencia
					vandys@sequent.com

scott@wiley.uucp (Scott Simpson) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov28.214659.26551@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>In article <10820@rayssd.ssd.ray.com> gmp@quahog.ssd.ray.com (Greg Paris) writes:
>>The people I don't understand are the Rabid Salz Defenders.  The
>>newsgroup has been next to worthless for well more than a year now.
>>How can they defend the job he's been doing?  One may like the guy
>>personally, fine, but please recognize that he's been doing nothing,
>>effectively, for comp.sources.unix for a long time.
>
>They defend in reaction to attack.  USENET doesn't work the way it is
>implied that you think it does.  People who work to build usenet do things,
>but they have no duty to do so.   To *not* do something is not a negative
>thing.   So complaints that "these damn volunteers aren't working as hard
>as I think they should for me" are not always taken well.
>
>People want to hear constructive comments about what you are going to *do*
>about something, not what you don't like about it.  (Of course, that has
>never stopped people from yammering away about what they don't like :-))

What a bunch of crap. If you take over a moderatorship and you don't
live up to your time commitments then you have gone back on your word.
There are people who do have the time to moderate comp.sources.unix
and who have volunteered and I and many others in the USENET community
would rather have them moderating comp.sources.unix. Just because Greg
isn't willing to become the cook doesn't mean he should accept burnt
eggs.

>If you can't *do*, we may not be so keen on having you teach.   That's the
>way USENET works.  Those who put their time and effort and resources into
>doing things are the people who make and control the network.  If you are
>not willing to put those things in, you get no say.

Does my vote in the local election not count because I'm not a
politician? I think not. A person cannot champion every cause that
crops up; I can't fight the rain forest destroyers and try to cure
hunger in Africa and try to stop the homeless problem, ad infinitum;
but I can pick one item and fight for it. Greg chooses not to lead the
moderatorship job but that is no reason to criticize him for
complaining. Those who complain do a lot more for the process that
idle wall flowers. (Thoreau or Patrick Henry or somebody has a much
more elegant phrasing of this position.)
Scott Simpson			TRW			scott@coyote.trw.com

jerry@olivey.olivetti.com (Jerry Aguirre) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.165238.2018@ism.isc.com> johnan@mchale.ism.isc.com (John Antypas) writes:
>- Come up with a way to hire Rich full time to do this job

Even assuming we could come up with a scheme for collecting the money
and assuming that people did pay, and ignoring the legal implications of
this being for pay instead of free, there are a few points that are
being overlooked here.

First, Rich may not want to quit his current job to become a full time
moderator.  Some people like their jobs or have career plans that depend
on them.

Second, what system resources would the moderator use to do his job.
Unless he is one of those guys with a raised floor in the spare bedroom
he is probably using the systems at work, after hours, to receive,
store, compile, test, and post the sources.  Testing portability
requires access to a varity of systems and software.  Does the budget
for this moderator include supplying the hardware and software resources
needed for the job?

I favor splitting the job among multiple moderators if they can be
found.

I'm not sure I would classify being a moderator as being a deadly job.
It's not that.   People do it.

All of us also have other full time (and more) work.  It's adding
moderating a newsgroup to this that gets tough.

It's a lot of little things.  Most people don't see a lot of what you
do, but that's tolerable.  In fact, the "fame" is sometimes the worst
part.  You're the one people go to with questions.  People expect you
to be a server for the files you've posted or dealt with.

"I didn't see XX, could you send it to me?" -- a pefectly honest and
simple request, and you're certain to have XX, too.  But you can't be
a fileserver for everybody who makes this simple and honest request.

And of course the tons of other mail.  The comments, the suggestions.
USENET is so big now that even though each one on its own is friendly
and often helpful, dealing with it day-in and day-out on top of your
other work starts to get you.

But this is all not too bad (or we'd stop).  To be honest the worst
thing is the inevitable USENET flamers, who either send you mail or
post.  Or parade your name on the front pages of the newspapers.  :-(

But, as I said, we still do it, mostly.  Never perfectly -- and we don't
expect to be immune from criticism -- but how do you solve the problem
of tens of thousands of readers who can all complain by pressing one
key and zapping a quick note?   If all you did was piss off .1% of the
readers of a 30,000 reader group, that would be 30 mail messages or
postings.  (Thank god most people are lurkers!)

I probably sound like a spoiled brat lamenting about the tortures of
fame, but I hope I have expanded some people's understanding of it.
It's not all bad.  It certainly has positive points, too, and nobody
forced us into the task.

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (12/02/90)

As quoted from <47587@sequent.UUCP> by vandys@sequent.uucp (Andrew Valencia):
+---------------
| chris@utgard.uucp (Chris Anderson) writes:
| >Where are they?  Comp.sources.misc has had an opening for a new
| >moderator for a month now.  I haven't seen this flood of qualified
|
| I'm a little confused.  I immediately sent mail offering my services.
| I received mail back indicating that 16-odd people had applied for the
+---------------

At least 56.  Have you considered what it is like to try to select the "best
qualified" person for moderator when it all has to be done over the net in
mail?

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN

horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (12/02/90)

In article <1990Nov30.165238.2018@ism.isc.com> johnan@mchale.ism.isc.com (John Antypas) writes:

>While Rich may be unable to handle the archives, it should be noted that
>Rich does not, in fact, earn his living from this.  USENET is a cooperative
>net.  Perhaps we could achived the on-demand response people want if we
>starting earning some cash from it....

Great.  Rich gets a five- or six-figure salary off other people's labour
(programming, in this case).  The programmers, without whom he'd have no
newsgroup or money, get nothing.

>- Come up with a way to hire Rich full time to do this job

Hey, why Rich?  Why not me?  Five bucks a site?  Ten pounds a site?  Nine
thousand sites on the net?  I'll take it!  I'm sure many thousands of others
will, too.

Ah, but that won't last for long, as my site and many others will have to have
their feeds cut off, for `comp.sources.unix' will have become a commercial
enterprise.

What, you say?  `comp.sources.unix' is taken?  Damn.  Well, guess that means
I'll have to trump up some `yes' votes for a moderated `rec.sport.yo-yo',
`soc.culture.yogurt', or `comp.sys.trs80.model1' with myself as the moderator.
But this is going to interfere with my studies and other endeavours, so I'll
have to demand a salary.  $50,000/yr should do, provided I also get a
roomy air-conditioned office with a big, important-looking nameplate on the
mahogany desk, medical and dental insurance, a company car, a hefty pension
plan, and relocation expenses to Tahiti.

					--Scott

--

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (12/02/90)

scott@wiley.uucp (Scott Simpson) writes:

>What a bunch of crap. If you take over a moderatorship and you don't
>live up to your time commitments then you have gone back on your word.
>There are people who do have the time to moderate comp.sources.unix
>and who have volunteered and I and many others in the USENET community
>would rather have them moderating comp.sources.unix. Just because Greg
>isn't willing to become the cook doesn't mean he should accept burnt
>eggs.

First of all, I don't remember Rich *ever* promising *ANY* level of
service.  When it comes to burnt eggs, when you pay for NO EGGS, don't
complain when they come burnt.  Nobody's asking you to eat them.  If
you simply choose to throw a moderator out on his ear based on volume.

comp.sources.unix was never *meant* to be a high throughput group.
That's why comp.sources.misc exists.  You people are all bitching at
Rich when you should be replacing Brandon, who has *ASKED* to be
replaced.

>>If you can't *do*, we may not be so keen on having you teach.   That's the
>>way USENET works.  Those who put their time and effort and resources into
>>doing things are the people who make and control the network.  If you are
>>not willing to put those things in, you get no say.

Your wonderful little demonstration of logic leads me to conclude that
you should cancel your article, and not post until you've done
something for USENET.

>(Thoreau or Patrick Henry or somebody has a much
>more elegant phrasing of this position.)
>Scott Simpson			TRW			scott@coyote.trw.com

Thoreau was a loudmouth.  Henry was part of a revolution.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Nov29.172427.11437@acc.stolaf.edu> rabe@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (brett m rabe; Jiffy Script Inc.) writes:
>I don't know R $alz.  I don't dislike him.  But I have heard story
>after story from people who don't get even so much as a 1 line note
>from him when they submit something letting them know that he got
>it.  He apparently doesn't even have the courtesy to say "I got
>your submission, I'm buried over my neck in work right now, I'll
>look at it sometime in the future."  Apparently, he just doesn't
>even give people that much, which sure as hell wouldn't take a lot
>of time out of his work day.

Speaking as the curator of NNTP & RN/RRN, moderator of a newsgroup and
one-time coordinator of a mailing list, it is VERY hard to find time to
reply personally to everyone. I get around the problem with a program
that works kinda like vacation. It just sends a message back to the
sender saying that I have received the mail.

I still occassionally get flamed at for being so impersonal. I guess it
is the fate we deserve. Occasionally, I get fed up with or hurt by
with all the folks out there who expect the same kind of service they get
when they by software support contracts. USENET is just not like that.
Perhaps someone will commercialize USENET in the same manner that efforts
are underway to commercialize the internet. Then, people can pay other people
for such efforts. At that time, such complaints have a real place. Until then,
I guess it's just more flame wars.

--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: {rutgers,mailrus}!bcm!sob   and Systems Support

warkent@ltisun7.epfl.ch (Ken Warkentyne) (12/03/90)

In article <49924@olivea.atc.olivetti.com> jerry@olivey.olivetti.com (Jerry Aguirre) writes:

   First, Rich may not want to [etc.]

I've seen a lot of comments of the form "Rich may think this or Rich may
think that" but I have yet to see a comment from Mr. Salz himself.  As the
moderator of comp.sources.unix, does he not have a responsibility to state his
position or is this an annual debate in which case there should be something
relevant in the USENET Guidelines?

For the record, I support the idea of an editor who farms out packages to
reviewers.  I would even volunteer to review software although I can only
promise to do one or two reviews per quarter depending on the complexity
of the package.  Furthermore, as has already been suggested, there is no
reason why the job of editor cannot be automated by introducing an "editor
server" for controlling the passage of items to be reviewed between submitters
and reviewers.  The only human intervention necessary is perhaps in the
area of assuring a minimum of competance in the reviewers (i.e. reviewing
the qualifications of potential reviewers and removing a reviewer in the
case of justified complaints).
--
Ken Warkentyne - warkent@ltisun.epfl.ch | "In fact, the "fame" is sometimes the
Laboratoire de Teleinformatique,        |  worst part." - Brad Templeton, humble

tony@oha.UUCP (Tony Olekshy) (12/04/90)

In message <Dec.1.19.31.05.1990.8911@turbo.bio.net>, lear@turbo.bio.net
(Eliot) writes:

> comp.sources.unix was never *meant* to be a high throughput group.
> That's why comp.sources.misc exists.  You people are all bitching at
> Rich when you should be replacing Brandon, who has *ASKED* to be
> replaced.

Exactly.  Please continue the debate in this newsgroup about alternative
source code distribution techniques.  I think a mailing list with servers
that understand a form markup could be an interesting way of collecting
feedback for both authors and users.  But leave Rich's c.s.u alone.  It is
what it is, and many people are grateful for it the way it is.  Besides,
I'm sure Rich will take into account any *really* good ideas we come up with.

--
Yours etc., Tony Olekshy.       Internet: tony%oha@CS.UAlberta.CA
				  BITNET: tony%oha.uucp@UALTAMTS.BITNET

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Nov27.075737.16836@vicom.com> lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair) writes:
>Let's get real here, huh?

Yes.  I agree.  Get real, Larry.

--
-----------------+
Sean Eric Fagan  | "*Never* knock on Death's door:  ring the bell and

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (12/07/90)

In article <2756B0EF.1971@wilbur.coyote.trw.com> scott@wiley.UUCP (Scott Simpson) writes:

<What a bunch of crap. If you take over a moderatorship and you don't
<live up to your time commitments then you have gone back on your word.

Either volunteer to take over the job or KWITCHERBITCHIN already!  Who
died and left you king?

<There are people who do have the time to moderate comp.sources.unix
<and who have volunteered and I and many others in the USENET community
<would rather have them moderating comp.sources.unix.

Where are they...?

<Just because Greg
<isn't willing to become the cook doesn't mean he should accept burnt
<eggs.

Unless, of course, the's getting the eggs at virtually no cost to
himself.  If you don't like the product or service, GTAR (Go To
Another Restaurant)!

kEITHe

In article <1990Nov29.172427.11437@acc.stolaf.edu> rabe@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (brett m rabe; Jiffy Script Inc.) writes:
> But, from what I have been reading, there
> are at least a few people out there who are qualified who are
> willing to do the job.  Why not let them?

OK, post a CFD to news.announce.newgroups for your new moderated source
group. It *doesn't* have to be comp.sources.unix, you know. Call it, I
don't know, comp.sources.reviewed?
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

andrew@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) (02/24/91)

In article <SJM9SU3@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1990Nov29.172427.11437@acc.stolaf.edu> rabe@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (brett m rabe; Jiffy Script Inc.) writes:
>> But, from what I have been reading, there
>> are at least a few people out there who are qualified who are
>> willing to do the job.  Why not let them?
>
>OK, post a CFD to news.announce.newgroups for your new moderated source
>group. It *doesn't* have to be comp.sources.unix, you know. Call it, I
>don't know, comp.sources.reviewed?
>--
>Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com
>+1 713 274 5180.  'U`  "Have you hugged your wolf today?"

I posted a formal Call for Discussion for "comp.sources.reviewed" to
news.announce.newgroups (and various relevant groups) back on February
4th!  (The article is attached.)

I received a grand total of one letter in reply, and have seen no
discussion of the proposal.  Ironically, my posting suggested that a
Call for Votes would be issued today.  I was about to give up on the
idea because of the apparent apathy.

Do people want to discuss it?  Should there be a call for votes?

--
Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.       Department of Communications, Ottawa, CANADA
andrew@calvin.doc.CA
                    "The interface IS the program."

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb24.034947.10921@rick.doc.ca> andrew@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) writes:
>In article <SJM9SU3@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>OK, post a CFD to news.announce.newgroups for your new moderated source
>>group. It *doesn't* have to be comp.sources.unix, you know. Call it, I
>>don't know, comp.sources.reviewed?
>
>I posted a formal Call for Discussion for "comp.sources.reviewed" to
>news.announce.newgroups (and various relevant groups) back on February
>4th!  (The article is attached.)

The simple truth is that most people are very satisfied with the fine
job that Rich $alz does.

I sincerly doubt that there is that much high quality software being
sent to Rich.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"I've never written a device driver, but I have written a device driver manual"
                -- Robert Hartman, IDE Corp.

dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) (02/25/91)

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:

>The simple truth is that most people are very satisfied with the fine
>job that Rich $alz does.

I think that this is a wrong assumption.  Most people have now started
to depend on mail servers, BITFTP, anon UUCP and (for those on the
internet) FTP'ing.  I think that most people are DISsatisfied with
the state of comp.sources.unix, but have found a resonable alternative.

>I sincerly doubt that there is that much high quality software being
>sent to Rich.

I agree; the software that IS posted to comp.sources.unix is VERY
high quality.  However, I know for a fact that software has been
sent to him, and that it has fallen into a black hole.  Lots of it.
Hell, couldnt a moderator actually be on the lookout for good
software and make a point of distributing it, rather than waiting
for it to be submitted?

Would it not be better to have more postings of perhaps a lower
quality software, rather than 15 postings a year of higher quality?

The enormous increase of mail servers, BITFTP replies, etc. are
costing the USENET a fortune, and the obvious remedy (mass postings) are
becoming a rarity.

What aggravates a lot of people is the notion that a moderator is
some sort of god, who is doing the entire net a favor.  They ARE
doing everyone a favor, and it IS appreciated, as long as they
are consistent enough to spread software quickly.  Otherwise, you
get 1,000 requests for the same software every week via email.

  However, what about the organizations who are PAYING for the BITFTP
replies, mail servers transmissions, etc. and get no recognition?  If
you think that this amount is negligible, you obviously havent priced
the net lately.

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (02/25/91)

dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) writes:

>Would it not be better to have more postings of perhaps a lower
>quality software, rather than 15 postings a year of higher quality?

This is precisely what a number of people have been arguing against.
It is the reason that comp.sources.misc exists.

--
Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]

paj@mrcu (Paul Johnson) (02/28/91)

I didn't bother responding because I thought it was such an obviously
Good Thing that it would be passed by aclamation (sp?).  After all,
what are the disadvantages?  If it is created and turns out to be a
success then we can revise the charter of the other comp.sources
groups to make them peer-reviewed.  If it dies we can simply drop it.
What have we got to lose?

PS I took alt.sources.d out of the crosspost line as we do not get it.

Paul
--
Paul Johnson                               UUCP: <world>!mcvax!ukc!gec-mrc!paj
--------------------------------!-------------------------|-------------------

dick@smith.UUCP (Dick Smith) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb24.034947.10921@rick.doc.ca> andrew@calvin.doc.ca (Andrew Patrick) writes:
>I posted a formal Call for Discussion for "comp.sources.reviewed" to
>news.announce.newgroups (and various relevant groups) back on February
>4th!
>
>I received a grand total of one letter in reply, and have seen no
>discussion of the proposal.  Ironically, my posting suggested that a
>Call for Votes would be issued today.  I was about to give up on the
>idea because of the apparent apathy.
>
>Do people want to discuss it?  Should there be a call for votes?

Here's what I assumed from the current traffic:

  (1) People don't want to discuss it... it was discussed at great
      length under various headings prior to the CFD.  I recall you
      saying that you had sufficient volunteers to run the "..reviewed"
      group.  That alone indicates some interest.

  (2) There SHOULD be a call for votes.  I, for one, will vote yes.
      No matter what one thinks about the performance of other groups,
      it would be good to have more quality source code available.
      I think most of the net will agree.

--
Dick Smith				dick@smith.uucp
R. H. E. Smith Corp.			dick%smith@ast.dsd.northrop.com