	Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
	Subject: Assorted questions
	From: graham@sce.carleton.ca (Doug Graham)
	Date: Fri, 13 Jul 1990 11:26:19 GMT

I have no idea who the offending culprit might be.

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

jstewart@ccs.carleton.ca (John Stewart) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar12.093943.21936@kithrup.COM> sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>For the curious or morbid, here is a header from one of the files.  The
>newlines in the Path: line were there as I got it, I didn't put them in.

>	Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
>	Subject: Assorted questions
>	From: graham@sce.carleton.ca (Doug Graham)
>	Date: Fri, 13 Jul 1990 11:26:19 GMT
>
>I have no idea who the offending culprit might be.

Weird!  The machine that this article originated on (sce) stopped running
News last September or thereabouts and was entirely shutdown in January.
These are truly "ghost" postings!
--
"For those of you with aluminum or fibreglass canoes and paddles, you might
try carrying your canoe around on the roof of your car anytime after New

pete@mimsy.umd.edu (Pete Cottrell) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar12.093943.21936@kithrup.COM> sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:

>I have no idea who the offending culprit might be.

All of the old minix articles I've seen and checked here (I've seen well over
1000 in just one day, but haven't checked them all) have had

	sdd.hp.com!hp-col!col!hpcc05!hplabs

in the middle of the path; there are various other hosts at either end of
this string, so my guess is that some machine within HP is sending this
stuff out (unless 'col' isn't an HP machine). I've seen these going back
to February 1990.

Sigh. I'm getting real sick of having my junk directory fill up. I know,
C-news will be fixed at some point in the future. Waiting with great
anticipation......
--
Spoken: Pete Cottrell 	UUCP: uunet!mimsy!pete      INTERNET: pete@cs.umd.edu
Phone: 301-405-2749	USPS: U of Maryland, CS Dept., College Park, Md 20742

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (03/13/91)

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:

>I have no idea who the offending culprit might be.

Some crunching on the Path: lines of the offending articles reveals

1055 ukma
1055 wuarchive
1055 sdd.hp.com
1055 hp-col
1055 col
1025 hplabs
 633 ucsd
 554 zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu
 515 ucbvax
 494 hp-sdd
[and so on]

In other words, of 1055 articles with a 1990 date at this site,
every one has the top five sites in the path.  Col was the earliest site
in each path I've looked at; this is probably the culprit.  I gather that
it's a Hewlett-Packard site, since it's bracketted by other probable
HP sites.

BTW, I'm seeing file dates going back to Feb. 1990, and as late as
January of this year (the latter could be from a different screwed-up
site since I left them out of the analysis, but I doubt it).

Anyone listening at Hewlett-Packard?
--
Kenneth Herron                                            kherron@ms.uky.edu
University of Kentucky                                        (606) 257-2975

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (03/13/91)

What I find even stranger is that although the path of the article shows
ucsd in it, we no longer have any record of the article - so it didn't
pass through here anywhere in the last 45 days.

Any bets some long-forgotten uucp queue containing a restricted news
feed finally became active again?  I've seen that happen when a machine
stops polling or is shut down, then started up again much later and some
of its uucp feeds didn't clear out their spools in the interim.
	- Brian

geoff@athena.mit.edu (Geoff Collyer) (03/13/91)

Sean Eric Fagan:
>Henry or Geoff, if you're reading this, can we please get a time limit in
>dnews?

As we've been saying recently in the news.all groups, stale article
rejection is coming soon in C news.  Depending on how quickly Henry wants to
get the next patch out, stale article rejection may have to be explicitly
enabled at compile time; a better solution will follow.

On a related note, our current relaynews has observed that some sites put
out articles with Date: headers containing no timezone (apparently due to a
bug in gnus or gnews, fixed by Ed Vielmetti) and other sites (notably in
Australia and New Zealand) are putting out local time and incorrectly
labelling it GMT.  Sites that generate Date: headers in odd ways (notably
those that bypass inews):  please verify that your posting software gets
them right.  (Currently inews doesn't touch existing Date: headers; the next
patch will make it canonicalise dates in such headers.)

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (03/14/91)

In <1991Mar12.195103.284@ccs.carleton.ca> jstewart@ccs.carleton.ca writes:
> In <1991Mar12.093943.21936@kithrup.COM> sef@kithrup.COM writes:

> > Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
> > I have no idea who the offending culprit might be.

> Weird!  The machine that this article originated on (sce) stopped running
> News last September or thereabouts and was entirely shutdown in January.
> These are truly "ghost" postings!

Space aliens. They are injecting 6 month old backup tapes into the net
as a signal that they are about to invade earth.  Read about it next
week in the National Enquirer.  8-)

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john