[news.admin] Problem with C news under ISC 1.0.6 with history file size

gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) (04/03/91)

I've run into a problem the last couple of days. C news is tossing every
batch with a "unable to write history file" error (in errlog). My first
guess at the reason is the good 'ole ulimit--history is now 8388608 bytes
in size.

My initial work-around is to rebuild history. This should reduce the file
quite a bit.

Next, I'll reinstall with a shorter history maintainence time (I don't
recall what it's set to; probably 30 days).

Unfortunantly, this problem will recurr, in my case, as news volume keeps
increasing. I'm going to need a better workaround. (Note that I don't
consider this to be a fault of C news, I'm posting in news.software.b
in part to let other people be aware of this.) I'm going to need either
a way to increase the default ulimit for non-root users about 16384,
(I've inquired about this in the past, with no response) or a way to
set up relaynews (I think) to run as root, so it can write the larger
file.

2.x is not an option--it's not available for MultiBus machines. The
comp.unix.sysv386 FAQ lists a method for upping the default ulimit,
under 2.x. This does not work under 1.0.6 (lots of stuff got changed).

I'd really rather not have C news running as root; while it's fine
software, it shouldn't be necessary to do that because of an OS
shortcoming. I have, in the past, conducted a couple of extensive
searches for upping ulimits' default, without success (we have
a system in another plant with the same problem, with a large database).

Any suggestions?

--
Gary Heston   System Mismanager and technoflunky   uunet!sci34hub!gary or
My opinions, not theirs.    SCI Systems, Inc.       gary@sci34hub.sci.com

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (04/03/91)

gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:

>I've run into a problem the last couple of days. C news is tossing every
>batch with a "unable to write history file" error (in errlog). My first
>guess at the reason is the good 'ole ulimit--history is now 8388608 bytes
>in size.
>I'd really rather not have C news running as root; while it's fine
>software, it shouldn't be necessary to do that because of an OS
>shortcoming. I have, in the past, conducted a couple of extensive
>searches for upping ulimits' default, without success (we have
>a system in another plant with the same problem, with a large database).

Hmm.  There's a good chance that one little piece of C News on your system
is *already* running as root -- the setnewsids program, which is used for
setting euids and such correctly for the benefit of relaynews, and is
definitely needed on some SysV systems.  setnewsids is a "wrapper" that
relaynews executes when it finds it has the wrong permissions, and after
things get set right, re-execs relaynews.  Since setnewsids runs setuid-root,
you can stick the ulimit() in there; I seem to recall someone else with
a SysV with stupidly low, non-configurable default ulimit mentioning that
he did this.  You might try this.
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp