[news.admin] Bad news formatting from a Fidonet gateway

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (04/04/91)

I'm posting this message because mail to the offending site has gone
unanswered, and because I'm getting repeats of this stuff.

A Fidonet gateway is not properly formatting messages for Usenet and
possibly not properly counting bytes when batching news. The results are
that messages are being transmitted with the text in a single line, and
that subsequent messages are being lost because rnews gets out of synch
with the batch. (This may be a matter of the long line overflowing an
input buffer.)

Following is the bad news. I will fold the long lines; if they don't
begin here with a > character they're a continuation. Note that the last
line in each item is the #!rnews header of the following item.

Item one:

>From rnews Thu Apr  4 00:59:40 1991
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
>Subject: TT video modes
>Date: 17 Mar 91 18:45:34 GMT
>Sender: FredMail@p0.f98.n250.z1.Fidonet.Org
>
>Well the TT has a 320x480 mode with 256 colours at once.  It has a
1280x960 mono mode and a 640x480 mode with 16 colours.  It is also
supposed to have a special gray scale modem (not too many people are
aware of) that displays 256 levels of gray scale in
the TT 320x480 low resolution.  All this from a pallete of 4096.

>S.S.
>
>#! rnews 513

Item two:

>Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
>Subject: Toaster & ST (was: re: LEXICOLOR, Atari TT/030,...
>Date: 17 Mar 91 18:51:00 GMT
>Sender: FredMail@p0.f98.n250.z1.Fidonet.Org
>
>Don't worry, we have the ParSEC board and some others coming from
Lexicor Corporation.

>S.S.
>
>#! rnews 470

----
  Steve Yelvington / P. O. Box 38 / Marine on St. Croix, MN 55047 USA
  INTERNET: steve@thelake.mn.org    UUCP: plains!umn-cs!thelake!steve
  GEnie: S.YELVINGTO2               Delphi: YELVINGTON