[news.admin] Autoreply Bugginess

kevin@cfctech.cfc.com (Kevin Darcy) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr5.163045.1576@zardoz.eng.ohio-state.edu> Steven.S.Brack@osu.edu writes:
>	One of the posters to alt.flame, Oleg Kiselev (oleg@veritas.com) has
>been posting articles with followups directed to other (unrelated) newsgroups.
>Most of the time, he directs followups to {comp|misc|alt|rec}.test.

Ah, the aroma of Ye Olde Misc.test Trick...

>	The result of all this is that persons following up his articles are
>deluged with mail from autoreplydaemons.  In most cases, news software is
>configured not to show the Newsgroups: or Followup-to: lines, so posters don't
>even know that this is happening until they login to find several hundred
>messages waiting.  Or in my case, they find out when their sysadmins cut off
>their accounts because of inappropriate cross-posts.

Your sysadmins are a) NAIVE if they don't know about Ye Olde Misc.test Trick,
and/or b) REMISS if they -do- know about it, but still went ahead and
configured your newsreader(s) as you describe, and/or c) ARBITRARY if they
cut off your account without examining the relevant facts.

But, I suppose such knowledge doesn't help you at this stage, so I won't
belabor the point...

>	I wrote to postmaster@veritas.com & news@veritas.com, telling them what
>was happening.  The response from veritas was not positive.  Their attitude is
>that USENet is "not to be taken seriously," so therefore they will do nothing
>about this user.

One thing to keep in mind is that people who answer the mail of "postmaster"
and/or "news" on a news machine are often the same kind of anarchistic,
devil-may-care types who would perpetrate Ye Olde Misc.test Trick. Some call
this the "Spirit of Usenet". Others call it the "Back-room Techie God
Syndrome"...

>	My questions:
>
>		(1) Is what oleg@veritas.com does proper netiquette?

Neti-what??

>		(2) Are his administrators responsible for stopping him?
>		(3) If they don't stop him, what other remedies are available?

Remedies, legal or otherwise, would probably be quite hard to come by. If you
don't mind crusading on pure -principle-, however, you might be able to spare
others the same fate you have suffered. Please email me...

I would also like to point out that Ye Olde Misc.test Trick is only -partly-
a "social problem": it is also a -technical- problem. If those autoreply
daemons did not exist, or they were more discriminating, then *.test groups
wouldn't be the "attractive nuisance" they are today. Any autoreply daemon
which is capable of responding to an article which

	a) Does not have "test" in its Subject: line somewhere (matched
	   case-insensitively), or

	b) Has a non-empty References: line

is -Buggy- with a capital 'B'. Autoreply developers take careful note...

kevin@cfctech.cfc.com 		  | Kevin Darcy, Unix Systems Administrator
...sharkey!cfctech!kevin 	  | Technical Services (CFC)
Voice: (313) 948-4863 		  | Chrysler Corporation
Fax:   (313) 948-4975 		  | 27777 Franklin, Southfield, MI 48034