[news.admin] want to hide 'hostname' inside domain in CNews->PNews

In article <1991Apr18.190511.661@ddtg.com> maples@ddtg.com (Greg Maples) writes:
>Not really certain this is the right group, but...
>
>I want to hide my hostname behind my domain when posting from NNTP to
>CNews.  What comes out now is 'user@host.domain.com', and what I want
>to see posted is 'user@domain.com'.  I've looked at the CNews source,

 PLEASE NOTE:	I have cross posted this to news.software.b, and have
		also placed that group in the 'Followup' line.

 I would like to do the same.  In fact I would like to look up a map file
to give the appropriate address depending on the department of the person
posting the message.

 Doing this is not all that difficult, since inews is itself a shell script.
Relatively simple changes to inews or to anne.jones could be used to
accomplish this.  But this introduces other problems.  For the newsreader
will not recognize the poster, and will not let him cancel his own posting.
This needs some mechanism for the news reading software to call a locally
provided routine (or shell script?) to authenticate the author of an
article for which cancellation is requested.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940