[news.admin] Expire problems

awolf@potomac.ads.com (Andy Wolf) (04/23/91)

I am having trouble with expire.  I have cut back severly on the # of
days that I keep news (in half in most cases), e.g. comp and rec are only
4 days now.  Yet I am still running out of disk space.  I am using over
175 Mb, most of which is in comp and rec.  I am running C-news (August patch,
I think), NNTP, rn, trn.  All of this software was the most current last
November.  Anyhow, my Sun-3's disks are getting clogged.  I understand that
the extra program for expiring certain articles (news.newusers.questions, etc.)
is not needed for C-news.  AM I wrong?  I notice that several others are
having similar problems.  I trim back the expiry length in explist and then
run doexpire as 'news', but not much happens!  My news partition keeps
filling up.  This sort of thing just started to happen a few weeks ago.
Please respond via mail at 'awolf@potomac.ads.com' because news is down a lot.
Thanks.

                                -Andy

--

Andy Wolf		 	Phone (703) 243-1611
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  awolf@potomac.ads.com

In article <1991Apr22.223930.19922@potomac.ads.com> awolf@potomac.ads.com (Andy Wolf) writes:
| I am having trouble with expire.  I have cut back severly on the # of
| days that I keep news (in half in most cases), e.g. comp and rec are only
| 4 days now.  Yet I am still running out of disk space.

  I've heard that song before. No matter what you do with expire, every
one in a while you need find to blow away old files. Try this:

	MAXDAYS=14	# max days under any conditions
	NEWS=/usr/spool/news
	find $NEWS -type f -ctime +$MAXDAYS -print | xargs rm

I bet it will cure your problem, set MAXDAYS as needed, run weekly from cron.
        "Most of the VAX instructions are in microcode,
         but halt and no-op are in hardware for efficiency"

In article <1991Apr22.223930.19922@potomac.ads.com> awolf@potomac.ads.com (Andy Wolf) writes:
>... I understand that
>the extra program for expiring certain articles (news.newusers.questions, etc.)
>is not needed for C-news.  AM I wrong? ...

C News expire should do the whole job, if it is working.

>... I trim back the expiry length in explist and then
>run doexpire as 'news', but not much happens! ...

Are you sure doexpire is working?  Are any problems turning up in the
"usenet" mailbox (or wherever you chose to send trouble reports)?  Is
the file "history.o" getting created in /usr/lib/news?

(Also sent via mail, but posted as it may be of more general interest.)
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

awolf@potomac.ads.com (Andy Wolf) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr23.145059.1129@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1991Apr22.223930.19922@potomac.ads.com> awolf@potomac.ads.com (Andy Wolf) writes:
>>... I understand that
>>the extra program for expiring certain articles (news.newusers.questions, etc.)
>>is not needed for C-news.  AM I wrong? ...
>
>C News expire should do the whole job, if it is working.
>
>>... I trim back the expiry length in explist and then
>>run doexpire as 'news', but not much happens! ...
>
>Are you sure doexpire is working?  Are any problems turning up in the
>"usenet" mailbox (or wherever you chose to send trouble reports)?  Is
>the file "history.o" getting created in /usr/lib/news?
Yes, it is.
Here's what helped:

From rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil Tue Apr 23 09:37:44 1991
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 13:36:43 GMT
From: "LCDR Michael E. Dobson" <rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil>
To: awolf@potomac.ads.com
Subject: Re: Expire problems
Newsgroups: news.admin,news.software.b

Andy,

I was having a similar problem right after I upgraded to the 24Mar91 version
of C-News and I only have a 150Meg news spool.  I solved the problem by first
removing the history files, using mkhistory to rebuild the history with
entries for all articles in my news spool, then running doexpire to get rid
of the old articles.  AS it turned out, for some unknown reason I had a bunch
of old articles in my spool whose history file entries had been removed while
the article hadn't.  As a result, expire never removed them.  I can now safely
run with a default of 7 days except for rec, alt, talk, sci and soc which I
expire at 4 days.

Hope this helps.
--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30

Thanks to Mike.  This exercise restored 50% of my news partition's free
space.  Any ideas WHY this happened?

					-Andy

--

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr26.210047.23740@potomac.ads.com> awolf@potomac.ads.com (Andy Wolf) writes:
>I was having a similar problem ...
>...  AS it turned out, for some unknown reason I had a bunch
>of old articles in my spool whose history file entries had been removed while
>the article hadn't.  As a result, expire never removed them.

Question, can this happen with B-news as well?

We have had some intermittent problems here with an i-node leak on the
news partition here.   [Of course, this was associated with a related
tendency to overflow available resources, so I do not know which came first,
the overflows or the leak].

We are doing fine for now, but I would like to be prepared if it ever
happens again.  (We are OK now because I was forced to rebuild the file
system and added a great many i-nodes).
--
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)