[news.admin] BITFTP now more selective

bei@dogface (Bob Izenberg) (05/17/91)

merce@iguana.uucp (Jim Mercer) writes:

> how much of a net.lobby do we have to do to get pucc.princeton.edu to shut
> down BITFTP?

Here's the reply that I (a user on a non-BITNET/EARN host) just received
from pucc.princeton.edu:

> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * * BITFTP is no longer able to provide service to  * *
> * * nodes that are not directly on EARN or BITNET   * *
> * * or NetNorth.  Your node appears to be           * *
> * * accessible from BITNET only via a mail-only     * *
> * * gateway.  If you believe that your node is      * *
> * * directly on BITNET or NetNorth or EARN, please  * *
> * * send mail to MAINT@PUCC specifying your         * *
> * * BITNET/EARN/NetNorth node name.                 * *
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

That Jim Mercer only mentioned this in a mail message won't keep some people
from trying to turn him into a crispy critter, Usenet-wise.
-- Bob

                       Bob Izenberg [ ] Ralph Kirkley Associates
                 work: 512 838 6311 [ ] bei@rt_trace.austin.ibm.com
                 home: 512 346 7019 [ ] bei@dogface.UUCP

     Opinions expressed in this message are those of its author, except where
    messages by others are included with attribution.  No endorsement of these
         opinions by Ralph Kirkley Associates or IBM should be inferred.

merce@iguana.uucp (Jim Mercer) (05/18/91)

In article <V08322w164w@dogface> bei@dogface (Bob Izenberg) writes:
>merce@iguana.uucp (Jim Mercer) writes:
>> how much of a net.lobby do we have to do to get pucc.princeton.edu to shut
>> down BITFTP?
>
>Here's the reply that I (a user on a non-BITNET/EARN host) just received
>from pucc.princeton.edu:
>
>> * * BITFTP is no longer able to provide service to  * *
>> * * nodes that are not directly on EARN or BITNET   * *
>
>That Jim Mercer only mentioned this in a mail message won't keep some people
>from trying to turn him into a crispy critter, Usenet-wise.

oh great.

here i was, trying to build my self up as "Jim Mercer, networking kinda-guy",

now i am:

Jim Mercer, the butcher of BITFTP.

8^)

[ actually, i haven't gotten as much hate mail as i expected. right now it is
  about 9 out of 10 against MBAS's.  i'll post a summary in a few days. ]

--
[ Jim Mercer   work: jim@lsuc.on.ca  home: merce@iguana.uucp  +1 519 570-3467 ]
[              "Anarchists Unite!" - seen spray painted on a wall             ]